It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Dauntless: Science Station Omega Incident Episode 2

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Science Station Omega Incident

"Are you two finished screwing around down there?"

They both jumped half out of their skins as the Captains voice came across the comm.

"Aye Capt, we're done, nothing down here except dust and mold Sir. Making our way back now"

Shaking their heads they looked at each other laughing nervously. The damp darkness of the confined space had given them a foreboding sense of claustrophobia and not to mention the creeps. Meeting the Captain at the designated location they gathered their equipment then made their way back to the shuttle landing site. Hurriedly they shut down various systems and sealing the station's corridors and facilities as they made their egress.

The wind howled as the shuttle's hydrochloric hatch whined as it slowly pressed out the planets thin atmosphere. The shuttle kicked up small amounts of debris as it slowly rose from the planet’s surface. The trip back to the Dauntless went quickly as all aboard focused on their tasks. The Captain reviewed the latest Intel which was transferred to his data-pad.

"Hmmm.. I doubt they would have the balls to attempt another run in with us after the last pasting we gave them back during the incident of Alpha Prime"

He said under his breath taking off his glasses as he closed out the open application and the shut down and stored the data-pad.

"Welcome home ladies.."

A voice crackled over the comm interrupting the shuttles silence. They slowly entered the port hanger bay making a slow soft banked turn as it came to a rest in its designated location. The Captain exited and quickly made his way to the ships tactical center. He approached one of the main secured stations typed in a command then palmed the comm.

"Fischer, This is the Braddock, we are activating Marine Re-forger-1 on my command. Get 'em defrosted and up to speed on the information I'm sending you now"

Braddock pressed the send key on the keyboard then logged off.

"Bridge, Make course and best speed to Science Station Omega in the Draco system. I'll be in my quarters. You’ll be notifying me upon our arrival. Out"

The Dauntless slowly came about angling herself on the new coordinates then her powerful Proton engines roared to life and with a flash and bang she left the system.

Dr. Kelso

The comm’s buzzer woke him from his fitful slumber. He opened his eyes then rolled over out of bed and onto his feet. Stretching his legs with each step while simultaneously yawning he answered the Bridge's message. Fischer's voice seemed unusually loud as he informed the Captain that they had reached their destination and as per his command Marine Reforger-1 had been activated and were operational. Command personnel were awaiting further instructions.

Braddock retrieving the case containing the device which he had recovered from the stasis unit he had placed in a secured vault in his quarters. After having showered and dressed he then met with the command personnel informing them he was going to meet with a Dr Kelso and that fleet Intel suggests that they may have stirred the Helko’s interest.

Dismissing them he went directly to the already prepped shuttle and piloted the craft himself down to the science station. Upon docking he was quickly cleared and given directions to Dr Kelso’s lab.

His heart skipped a beat the when their eyes met.

"So, You're Captain Braddock I presume?" She said as she sat the clipboard she carrying on a nearby table "Fleet told me to set aside everything and give this 'Priority one' status" She made quotation hand gestures in the air while she rolled her eyes. Braddock smiled but Dr Kelso didn't notice as she looked down at the small container he had brought with him.

"Is that what I'm supposed analyze?"
She said looking down over the top of her glasses.

Braddock handed her the case, She opened it grinned then pulled out the small device and placed it on a tray and slid it into the scanner. She sat at the station and typed in a command then leaned back in the chair.

As she worked Braddock could smell her very pleasant perfume. He turned to her and smiled. She didn't notice that smile either. Rather she appeared very interested in the process and never took her eyes off of the monitor. The Captain shrugged and watched her work.

”Captain… We have just picked up three Helko heavy battle cruisers on long range sensors Sir.”

Braddock looked at the Dr Then at the screen. He quickly deduced there wasn’t going to be enough time to finish the analysis there at the station and that the good Doctor would have to come aboard the Dauntless she was safer and better protected. The mission and any data retrieved were much too valuable and important to be left here at the Station.

”That’s our queue, You’re coming with me up to the Dauntless. Gather what you need and pronto”

Braddock stood up and acknowledged the ships hail. Looking over at the Doctor noticed her initial hesitation but she began making preparations for the transfer. They both knew fleet was very animate about protecting the data. They made their way to the shuttle and quickly lunched foregoing prelaunch prep sequences. The shuttle reached the hanger bay.

Once the Captain was aboard he called for battle stations.

Marine commandant Henderson walked up to the Captains station. They glanced at each other and both nodded and walked over to the tactical display.

”We have three Helko’s Ermon class heavy battle cruisers inbound. They’re taking up a blocking position. Apparently they don’t wants us taking our findings” The Captain said looking at the display with his arms folded stroking his chin contemplating his next move. Finally he spoke up

”Here’s what we’re going to do. We’ll take out one with the Main Rail gun and while its batteries are recharging the Dauntless will close with and take them on one at a time. Hopefully the forward shield generators will be able to handle their main armaments long enough”

Henderson looked at a station print report handed to him by a passing ensign. Then looking up at the Capt. Asked..

”You sure you don’t want my fighters to take on the closest one before you engage the second and third?”

Braddock looked over at him from across the tactical display …

“No…. and here’s why.
While the Rail gun batteries are recharging I’ll hold your squadrons in reserve and after we close with and take on the second we’ll then launch your fighters to finish it off while the Dauntless deals with the third. Hopefully your fighters we’ll finish off the second one and by then the third will try to assist the other two then we should be able to take her out”

”We have three incoming drones Capt” The tactical officer called out.

Looking over his right shoulder at tactical..

”Activate the area point defense now, engage and destroy. Okay, Ladies and Gents, its pucker time!”

Braddock aware of the immediate danger gave his crew a brief set of last minute redundant instructions.

”Tactical we have one battle cruiser closing. Engage forward defensive shield and bring her about. Ahead steady….”

”Captain those three incoming drones are almost on top of us” The tactical officer informed Braddock without looking up from the display screen.

Braddock sat in his command chair watching to see how effective the new automated area suppression units were going to be. The defensive guns opened up tearing into the incoming drones. Quickly dispatching them in rapid succession.

The Dauntless as per Braddock orders turned to face the closing twin threats and moved into harm’s way with all forward armaments unleashing a hellish maelstrom.

The opening volleys were absolutely horrendous, As if space itself was set ablaze.

Dauntless rocked violently. The incoming rounds slammed hard into the forward shielding repeatedly. Their rounds were not getting through her shield generators. But at this rate and volume of fire Braddock knew they wouldn't last much longer…… but how long?

Right then some panels blew out as the ship shuttered from further incoming rounds. Shrapnel from the explosion tore through the head of a nearby crewmen shredding it to pieces spraying blood and grey matter over the view screen and console in front of him as his body fell limply to the deck. Braddock thumbed the comm and barked a request from the Chief Engineer for ships status as he looked helplessly at the body of the dead crewmen lying lifeless at his feet. He strained to hear the Chief’s replies above the noise and confusion on the bridge.

The Chief brought up the weapons power grid schematics. He quickly typed in a reroute command and transferred power from the evacuated outer sections of the ship to bolster weapons and defensive systems. He yelled over the video comm that they were up to full power and ready.

Meanwhile the Dauntless continued her ferocious exchange with the two battleships. Blow upon blow they hurled at each other as the titanic exchange between the vessels continued unabated outside.

The Dauntless bucked wildly by a tremendous explosion. The frontal shielding finally failed, it was penetrated by a torpedo that ripped through the hull and drove itself deep into her starboard side then detonated unleashing a punishing explosion shredding everything in its blast radius.

Braddock was thrown from his command chair to the floor from the blast, on his knees next to the fallen crewman reached up among the sparking and smoldering station he slammed the comm...

Report?

The Chief's voice came over the comm sporadically..

We have massive ship……… wide………… power ………fluc….uations. Secondary …… pow……units should kick in a…….. second Capt.!

The ships computers stuttered for a few seconds and screens flashed as the power fought to stay engaged.

”Chief we have a massive power fluctuation in our primary weapons systems“ One of the engineering crewmen yelled.

The Chief ran over to the weapons main terminal. It was running erratically and slowly losing power. Going to a nearby terminal and punched in a few commands. He fought to stay upright and on his feet as the ship continued to be buffeted from side to side he transferred power from life support systems on the damaged decks. There was a massive surge as the power relays started working way beyond recommended specs.

Braddock looked over at the Marine commandant and gave the nod for him to launch his fighters as they continued to close with the enemy. Henderson immediately picked up the horn and gave the command over the flight deck loudspeaker..

”Launch fighters……..repeat…. launch fighters!”

The Marine squadron launched, closed with and hurled themselves at the enemy fighters quickly sweeping them aside and pressed the assault on the second enemy vessel as the Dauntless came about out of the point blank engagement and broadsided the battle cruiser in a final coup de grace.

Bring her about and fire the rail gun at the last remaining target if you will Mr. Horne" Braddock said as he looked over at the tactical officer.

Dauntless fired the rail gun twice obliterating the third and final vessels before it responded to the ferocity she unleashed. The Capt. Then wanted to put as much distance between the planet and the enemy wrecked fleet as fast as possible before anymore could arrive while the Dauntless affected needed repairs.

”We are picking up an increase in temp, we don't know how much longer they'll hold Chief” A young ensign warned.

The magnetic couplers had seized from the stress of the continuous firing. They were heavily built units but not designed for that type of action. The main magnetic restrictors seized from overheating it began a cascade failure across the ships entire network. The light went dim then out. It was only a matter of seconds before.

When without warning the power terminals blew. Sparks flew spraying a young female ensign in her eyes while smoke began to fill the dept. Two crewmen ran to the nearest fire extinguishers. As they fought the fire now breaking out across the lower decks the Chief ran over to the engine control station He thumbed the Comm.

”Capt….
We aint going nowhere any time soon. We have fires raging in A, B, C and D Decks, Sections 21 through 58. “

” We have to knock those fires down first before we can even get to damage control and repair…”

Braddock realizing the danger had passed stood and walked to the lift turning around briefly enough to hand command over to his second and then proceeded to his quarters.

Sitting at his desk, he looked over the ship’s damage and crew fatality reports. He reached over and took a long slow draw directly from the bottle of Scotch. Exhaling the sting he then sat it aside and cleared the rubble and debris from his desk onto the floor with a swipe of his forearm and began typing up his report for fleet…

edit on 26-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Wicked my man..

Just plain wicked...

And about damn time too...

thanks slayer!!!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Love the graphics.

It adds that extra dimension to one's imagination.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Nice. Is there a part two?

Well done, I also liked the extra dimension!

P

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Yes, this is it.

Have you read USS Dauntless: Space Panic Episode 1 yet?

edit on 26-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Have now, way cool. Thanks. Part 3?

P

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Was waiting for this.

Looks like the old bird survived another battle. Its almost like you're there. Great feel, and graphics to sway you into the story.

S&F
edit on 27-2-2013 by sonnny1 because: spelling, as always......

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Sorry for the delay.

I actually lost the original version I had written when the flash drive I had it stored on didn't survive the washer and dryer last week in a pair of jeans

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Love the graphics.

It adds that extra dimension to one's imagination.

Thanks I was hoping to bring more to it than just a wall of text.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

That is why you need a good woman to do your laundry for you.
Great job Slayer,star and flag and these

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Oh that was awesome! I read part one as well. It feels like I'm there!

GREAT job Slayer!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yea great stuff. You got some serious repairs to contemplate in part3!. Looks even better with the pics as well. Good job Captain!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Awesome!

Thank you very much for the eagerly awaited second installment and I will once again express my excitement for the third.

You certainly do a good job with the details. Any chance you have a list of books you could recommend along the lines of USS Dauntless.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

reply to post by TheDoctor46

Part 3 is already in the works with multiple copies backed up this time,

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Believe or not I've not read too many or have any on the subject to suggest.
I do like Early King and most of Koontz though.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

That was as good if not better than Part 1 even ! Great story telling, great graphics, great entertainment !!!

Looking forward to part 3 !! S&F !!!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I agree with everyone else about the graphics, a great addition to your tale. Makes me forget that I am mostly a fantasy fan. I get a bit of a Robotech vibe from that space battle! How long till we get to that specimen?

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Soon.

I wanted to set the tone before proceeding with the rest of the story.

Stay tuned...

edit on 27-2-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
As a longtime science fiction fan and a Southerner, I can honestly say, Boy, I say Boy, YOU got talent.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I'm glad you've enjoyed it

Stay tuned

You aint seen nothing yet...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join