It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police agencies in the United States to begin using drones in 90 days

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Legislation just signed by President Obama directs the Federal Aviation Administration to open the skies to remotely controlled drones within the next three years. It will begin in 90 days with police and first responders having authority to fly smaller drones of less than 4.4 pounds at altitudes under 400 feet. Gradually, all drones are to be allowed by Sept. 30, 2015.

Source Article

Drones: Coming to a neighborhood near you (if you haven't seen them already).

This brings to mind the article I saw a few weeks ago Rise of spy planes exposed after FAA is forced to reveal 63 launch sites across U.S. which I also touched on in my post A Brief Timeline of my Encounters with Black Helicopters

I noticed in that in the above-mentioned link that there is active drone site right in my immediate area.

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Every time this topic comes up I think of this song:

It's good to know the Nanny State loves us enough to float around and watch us. What they're going to do about it, because it takes time to get a cruiser on-scene to do something about an observed crime, has yet to be explained.

In some cities you can call the police while the crime is happening and takes 15-minutes+ to get somebody out there.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think it's a sign that the US actually isn't close to collapse as many predict. What with the fed saying they can monetize forever, and all these crazy tech advancements coming out, it looks like basically we're going to keep on keeping on until a bigger, badder psycho-bully tells us no more. It doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTsiyr

I want one.

Did ya see this part?

The use of drones had been restricted out of civilian aviation safety concerns created by a sky full of drones flown by untrained operators in the same space as aircraft. But that was overridden by successful lobbying of drone makers and customers who will reap the financial benefits for commercial purposes. “The market for drones is valued at $5.9 billion and is expected to double in the next decade,” the New York Times reported.

They can be used by real estate agents to snap aerial photos. But then, given costs and ease of use, what will stop a member of the paparazzi or any other prying photographer from using them to get more personal snapshots? The Times report said a $300 drone can be flown from an iPhone.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Wouldn't everyone agree that if there is a kid missing in the woods that it would be nice to send up a bunch of drones to find them?

How about if a child is abducted and you can quickly get drones out on the roads to look for the vehicle description?

As long as their use is properly regulated I'm seeing many advantages to having them.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTsiyr

O.K. I Can't resist. How many Donuts can these drones hold safely? But back on topic, seriously, how many ways are needed to spy on people? Are they equipping these drones with coms that shout" Halt this is the Police or the Police will be here in 5 minutes do not move! I wonder how much it takes to operate, not counting the guy watching the screen. I for one will make sure all my curtains have heavy duty backing, no sneaking a peek at my home. Lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

As long as their use is properly regulated I'm seeing many advantages to having them.

Can you see the many disadvantages of them? Who is going to oversee this regulation?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Wouldn't everyone agree that if there is a kid missing in the woods that it would be nice to send up a bunch of drones to find them?

And that's how it starts. The same kind of argument they use to try and convince people of microchip implants.

How about if a child is abducted and you can quickly get drones out on the roads to look for the vehicle description?

Well why don't we just set up surveillance cameras all over the place while we're at it?

That's putting a lot of trust in such an easily-abused powerful piece of technology in the hands of the government and the military industrial complex.

No, thanks.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is the beginning of all and the end of the few. We will enter an awakening where we will see how we have been so used and are so gullible. We need to be able to help one another as individuals and to know who has been using us all these years. I don't mean to sound so ominous but know is the time where we need to be silent and feel what is going on, if we question anything just ask and feel a response. We are not fully aware or in tune but need to learn to feel things around us. All we need to do ask ask and feel and we are guided, feel from the heart and realize in the mind, this is what is referred to as becoming aware.

We need to help one another, love one another and distrust authority over us.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
I think it's a sign that the US actually isn't close to collapse as many predict. What with the fed saying they can monetize forever, and all these crazy tech advancements coming out, it looks like basically we're going to keep on keeping on until a bigger, badder psycho-bully tells us no more. It doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon.

Then how come Zimbabwe could not monetize forever?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom

Can you see the many disadvantages of them? Who is going to oversee this regulation?

I can see possible disadvantages such as arming them but since we have surveillance on helicopters now and that hasn't been abused I don't see why your afraid of drones being used for surveillance.

If we make laws directing their use and they are misused then the courts will rule against them, there will be lawsuits filed, and that practice should stop.

You know the country advances technology wise as we move along through the decades and this seems to be just a natural progression. I'm sure when law enforcement started using vehicles instead of horses this issue came up just like it did everytime a new piece of technology was added to their arsenal.

I think its up to us to make sure the politicians keep it regulated so that they are only used for the beneficial advantages they do offer. Those can make a huge difference and I would hate to miss out on some of the great things they can provide us because of fears of what they may become.

I believe there is a safe middle road there somewhere.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Then how come Zimbabwe could not monetize forever?

Because they don't have the military might to hold the rest of the world hostage to trade policies propping up the USD.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think this is bound to end badly. It'll only take a few cases of few high profile accidents by loss of control either by error or hack job before people start screaming bloody murder over these buzzing overhead. So many just make the odds of one going wrong a near certainty from time to time. Nothing is perfect ... but these are big enough to hurt or kill if they come down ON someone or traffic across a roadway, for instance.

Time will tell...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

They already have that, it's called a helicopter.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I can see possible disadvantages such as arming them but since we have surveillance on helicopters now and that hasn't been abused I don't see why your afraid of drones being used for surveillance.

Oh, I don't know... maybe because a chopper makes a bunch of noise and is very noticeable when hovering over you, but a drone... is entirely different. I'm not afraid. I'm concerned. Big difference.

If we make laws directing their use and they are misused then the courts will rule against them, there will be lawsuits filed, and that practice should stop.

An assumption not yet evidenced.

You know the country advances technology wise as we move along through the decades and this seems to be just a natural progression. I'm sure when law enforcement started using vehicles instead of horses this issue came up just like it did everytime a new piece of technology was added to their arsenal.

I agree in general. Doesn't mean we should not be asking questions and making sure they have an independent organization doing oversight of these drone operations. It's a game-changer.

I think its up to us to make sure the politicians keep it regulated so that they are only used for the beneficial advantages they do offer. Those can make a huge difference and I would hate to miss out on some of the great things they can provide us because of fears of what they may become.

I believe there is a safe middle road there somewhere.

Agreed, but it's not only up to the politicians. As stated above, we need an independent organization to oversee these regulations are enforced. The potential for unconstitutional misuse is huge.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNutjob

Hopechest, why are you so pro-establishment?

Do you work for the government?

Every single post that I see you make, you are always defending their actions. I am curious.

Well I try to be pro common sense.

There is a lot I don't like about the government but I don't hate them just because of who they are. Not everything they do has ulterior motives, maybe its because I'm a political science major that I can see certain ways the government has always operated and the progression throughout the years.

I don't believe anything on the earth is inherently evil, bad things happen from the government but also many good things so I try to balance them out.

I also like to argue both sides of a debate depending on which way the majority is going. There are always two sides to every issue and I believe that a proper examination from all points of view is important before making a decision on whether you believe something is wrong or not.

Since most of the discussions here at ATS focus on negative aspects of the government I usually try to counter that by presenting an opposite viewpoint in order to better understand the situation.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I predict an increase in UFO reports.

Predict an increase in paranoid individuals saying they are being tracked.

Predict an increase in local taxes to subsidize these drones.

Predict politicians will continue to talk about people's right to privacy but will support this 100%.

Predict people will ultimately just put up with it as business as usual.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by nomnom

Yep I absolutely agree that an independent organization or watchdog group is vital to beginning the incorporation of drones into law enforcement.

It should be made public also so that we the people can have oversight of them also. As many have stated, the potential for abuse is definitely there but so are the advantages and I believe that if we take cautious steps forward then they can be a great help to society while avoiding the dangers.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join