It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if God offered you a deal of either these two choices which one would you pick?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
If God came down and made you a deal of either the two conditions:

- Live ten thousand years healthly but always be monetary poor and live a simple life (you cant hold more than frugal wealth or live off someone else who has money or the deal is reneged)

- Live one human lifetime and in that time never look old, and always be healthy, and be filthy wealthy, famous, and powerful with any vice or want catered for at your wish

Which one would you pick?

Edit- The fine print of the condition for those picking thousand years.

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
reply to post by Druscilla

I could thus then live a life of luxury without owning a single thing.

You can live a life of luxury defined only in terms having bare material necessities. You cant hold any wealth. You can seek patronage but if its luxurious you cant hold it for more than a few weeks, your basically a wander on the earth. In fact part of the deal is that you must never stay in one spot too long.

edit on 26-2-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Easily the latter, comfort is the key to sanity.

who wants to live ten thousand years? What a tremendous stress..

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Not for a female or gay guy who is into that. Besides, living a life of absolute poverty and simplicity may be hell for some as it would be boring.

edit on 26-2-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

- Live ten thousand years healthly but always be monetary poor and live a simple life (you cant hold more than frugal wealth or live off someone else who has money or the deal is reneged)

This one. Absolutely. My greatest treasure in life is my thoughts and imagination. I live simply now. I can continue to. More to the point I really don't want to die. If I can extend it I will. With my dying breath! I would so love to see what technologies and wonders will be discovered in 1000 years time. Planets to be explored. Alien races to interact with...

Now I have to ask. Since it is God granting this does this imply an afterlife? If so, I may change my answer.
edit on 26-2-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Why does this need to be some mythological figure offering the deal?
Why can't it be some magic vending machine?

If option 1 was 10,000 years of unstoppable super-power immortality, I'd mercenary myself out to the patronage of whoever has the best offer, sound in the knowledge that no one, and nothing could kill me, where I would just need secure a patron to meet my needs every so many decades, or until I got a better offer.

If option 1 was just the chance to live 10k years so long as I took care of myself and didn't befall any accidents, well, then, no deal. People lose body parts to accidents all the time in just one lifetime. It'd suck to live 9000 years as a handicap with missing bits due some accident or another, with bits getting lost every thousand years or so like a zombie falling apart in slow motion. No thanks.
I'd have to be indestructible, and unstoppable because getting trapped into any kind of prison or forcefully held against my will for any length of time would also be the suck.
Additionally, there'd have to be escape clauses, like, for instance, if I got shot out into space, that would also suck after the novelty wore off. The universe is vast and if I got shot off into space, trapped in a black hole, or anything similar, I could easily go 10,000 years and see absolutely nothing of any significance.

There's lots of tricky sticky bits to the 10k deal. If those tricky bits couldn't be worked out, then ...

I'd then take the bling option.

edit on 26-2-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I would KICK HIS SORRY *backside* for being such a bastard coming up out of nowhere, and now he wants me to decide between two options, each shinier than the other, but both are embittered by the knowledge about the other one, which might be in some situations been the better one.

Yes. I would kick his backside for being such a mean, malicious and black-hearted idiot!

And no. I would no accept either one of those options, as they both would leave me with some shiny toys to play around with, which I did nothing to deserve them for! Therefore I would be left for asking me my whole life "why?" and "why didn't I choose the other option?" No thank you. I like my life as it is now.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
That would depend on the situation, if for both choices you are to live a life in this world then i would go for option 2, but if the world in itself would be a better place (like what we dream of) then i would rather go for option 1. I rather live 10.000 years in poverty in a nice place then one stinking lifetime in this crap even if i had all the wealth i could imagine.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

You can live a life of luxury defined only in terms having bare material necessities. You cant hold any wealth. You can seek patronage but if its luxurious you cant hold it for more than a few weeks, your basically a wander on the earth. In fact part of the deal is that you must never stay in one spot too long.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   

In fact part of the deal is that you must never stay in one spot too long.

Not that I am against that idea. Especially if you extend that to space travel. But that wasn't in the contract god!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Hells yeah, no money no stress. I would be happy as a clam, as well I could slowly travel the world living healthy and simply. There would be no rock left unturned by the time I was finished. Ten thousand years is a long time for a government. I'm sure that I could wait it out if I decided that I wanted to take over the world or something.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Why does this need to be some mythological figure offering the deal?
Why can't it be some magic vending machine?

If God doesn't exist (from your view), then what does it matter if it is a non-existing being or non-existing object offering the deal?

To answer the Original Post, I would choose the regular life time of everything being perfect for me. 10,000 yes of plainness is nothing to me. Eventually repeating the same thing for so long gets boring, and to never be able to change that in thousands of years is like suffering (being a slave to destiny).
edit on 26-2-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage

There you go, complicating the rules even further already in just the first bit.
It's a djinni deal. No matter what option you take, no matter what you wish for, you'll always get screwed and out loop-holed.

If that's the case, I'd bonk the personality on the head and sell him to a Mexican drug gang to use for entertainment.
If it's a vending machine, I'd sell it for scrap parts.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Thats the point i was hoping someone would draw out in the debate its a lucklustre deal. Its catch 22 situation damned if you do, damned if you dont either option you take.

Druscilla the Vending machine idea why do you like that?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   

That's a no brainer.
Live ten thousand years healthly but always be monetary poor and live a simple life.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Not much of a choice...

Who would want to live 10000 years...only those who haven't thought about what it would mean...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarioOnTheFly
Not much of a choice...

Who would want to live 10000 years...only those who haven't thought about what it would mean...

Meow. Saucer of milk, table for one please.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

I have put lots of thought to it. This isnt the first time ive thought about life extension.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

And you would want to live that long?

State your purpose...I'm interested.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Hey, first post outside introduction.
I'd go for the ten thousand years, we in a way already are stuck in cycles that go on and on, if you buy into reincarnation. Many have discovered great wealths from a inner place that last, where as the shallowness of materialistic wealth is just that. All is good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join