It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

19 dead as tourist balloon explodes at Luxor: Egypt security

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
hi

just saw this breaking At least 19 dead when a hot air baloon caught fire then exploded.

no more info yet will update if I find any

Of 19 killed 9 are Chinese citizens from Hong Kong, 4 Japanese, 2 British, 2 French and 2 remain unidentified

www.dailystar.com.lb...

CAIRO: A hot air balloon exploded as it was flying over Egypt's ancient temple city of Luxor on Tuesday, killing 19 people including tourists from Hong Kong, Japan, France and Britain, a security official said.

found another link
worldnews.nbcnews.com...

Ahmed Aboud, who runs another balloon company, told NBC News that gas tanks ignited the balloon about 1,000 feet. Two people survived, a tourist and the pilot, Aboud said. Both are in critical condition, the statement from Khaled said.

This is horrible you go on vacation and decide to take a hot air balloon ride and it explodes at 1,000 feet
This is the view they paid and died for

edit on 26-2-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
they should ban hot air balloons they are death traps Blimps are much safer in today's standards anyway.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MX44K
they should ban hot air balloons they are death traps Blimps are much safer in today's standards anyway.

Normally I'm a fan of sarcasm and satire, in this case, not really. A few people are dead in tragic circumstances.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
that's a shame. i had a hot air balloon ride once, it's so peaceful and smooth. to have it end in a fireball is terrible for those involved.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This is why when you travel to foreign places, you should just think to yourself "do they have the same safety standards as us?". BEFORE doing something life endangering. No bungie jumping in mexico, paragliding in panama, or apparently hot air ballooning in Egypt.

How about you just enjoy the sights and avoid too much excitement on your "vacation". Relax.

Dont go to those strange places for a story, dive bars for the "local" scene, and just everything else that is irresponsible traveling.

Incognito wimp....best way to travel and still come home in one piece, travelers checks and all........

edit on 26-2-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I wouldn't doubt if the explosion had something to do with the Arab pilot smoking. My dad is from Alexandria and I remember going to his bank with him, right inside the door was a big "No Smoking" sign, with a soldier/guard right beneath it puffing away. I said "what the he!!" and askes to bum a light, just to see what he would do. He abliged so I lit up too.. Obeying rules is not an egyptian trait. Ahh I love the middle east, it will forever be my second home. I wish most americans could see it the way I do, and I lived in Saudi Arabia and loved it, and I am not muslim. Still, I feel very sorry for the tourist. An accident happening during a vacation is much more tragic, because those days are supposed to be filled with happiness not sadness.
edit on 26-2-2013 by geldib because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Reports are of the ground crew pulling the balloon into a power line. The secondary reports are of the ground line be routed improperly and breaking a fuel line. It will be awhile before we know exactly what happened. That being said, balloons are only as safe as those you choose to fly with. Egypt has a poor reputation as regulation there are not as rigid as it is in the USA. Don't want to do an annual inspection? No problem just toss some payola out.\

Try that in the USA and you will be in jail. Flying a balloon carries with it inherent risk, as does any other activity including riding in a tourist bus. How many buses go off a cliff in the world every year.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MX44K

Do you know how many people die every year in India, in bus accidents alone? Thousands. Perhaps we should ban busses.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Reports of people jumping out from 7 stories up.. With the way this was burned up you can see why

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MX44K

they should ban hot air balloons t

Ban guns, ban cars, ban balloons.

I say we quit beating around the bush and just ban death !

edit on 26-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by geldib

and I lived in Saudi Arabia and loved it, and I am not muslim.

You are not a woman either, are you?

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So the pilot jumps out to avoid death and allows 19 other to die. What a loser.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by MX44K

they should ban hot air balloons t

Ban guns, ban cars, ban balloons.

I say we quit beating around the bush and just ban death !

edit on 26-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

No, let's just ban people! What a peaceful and safe environment would that be....

edit on 26-2-2013 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
So the pilot jumps out to avoid death and allows 19 other to die. What a loser.

What would have done

Just stood there and burned to death? You're a different man than I then.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

According to Sharif, a fire broke out in the balloon while the workers were trying to land it, just feet from the ground. The balloon then shot upwards again, he said.

One would think the pilot might have tried something or tried to get others out. Instead he just jumps out.

Maybe he yelled 'everyone jump' and then abandoned it. Hopefully he isn't getting special pilot pay, anyone could do that type of job. Much like an airline pilot bailing out of a plane and leaving the passengers.

Most pilots and captains have a different idea of duty. But then it is the 21st century.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteHat

No no ! Dead people, we'll just ban dead people !

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Currently reports are unclear as to whether the balloon was pulled into a power line or if it suffered a catastrophic failure of the fuel system at 1000ft. Personally I am hoping for the power line hit.

As for the pilot being the first to jump? I could not agree more about the loser comment. I am a balloon pilot and I would never leave my passengers in the basket regardless of the emergency. I would rather burn to death than live through the shame of such an action.

I am hoping that someone in Egypt had either a video camera or pictures as it is possible we may never know exactly what happened. Nothing worse than not knowing.

My heart goes out to the friends and families of all those involved.

edit on 26-2-2013 by Mamatus because: Gwammer and speeeeling

top topics

join