It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to bomb Guam with dead mice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
US to bomb Guam with dead mice

In a desperate attempt to kill off two million brown tree snakes that are plaguing the territory of Guam, the US is bombing the island with poisoned dead mice, hoping that the snakes will eat them.

I found this article a few days ago and as a Herpetologist I have major mixed feelings on the situation. I understand the massive destruction this invasive species(normally found in Northern Australia and Papa New Guinea) is responsible for. They have almost wiped out the native bird population of Guam and cause damage to power lines. I do admit that something must be done, but I am not sure this is the way to go about it. Although Brown Tree Snakes(Boiga irregularis) are poisonous, the poison is basically harmless to adult Humans(serious problems are with children due to their smaller bodies, but it is easy enough to deal with unlike many other poisonous species) so it is not a situation where they are a danger to Humans per say, at least directly, but indirectly anything that hurts or damages an ecosystem does in fact effect the Human population in one form or another.

I am of the opinion that when the food sources dwindle the species will die off to manageable levels and it is a case of how nature balances itself. The problem is that the U.S. Government has decided to step in and deal with it rather than let it follow the natural course due to a fear of the situation spreading to Hawaii. The poison the Government is using is nothing more than a mild sedative to most animals including Humans, but is fatal to the snakes. Unfortunately, it is also fatal to many species of birds as well and it could further the eradication of the natural bird species and other carnivorous animals in the area not to mention the massive amount of decomposition going on. Decomp can have the tendency of spreading disease, which in turn could lead to deadly disease that can effect the Human species which could be spread world wide by travelers.

The problem was caused by Brown tree Snakes being transported to Guam by U.S. Naval Ships and Air Planes as stowaways after WWII and was ignored until now due to the possibility of the situation spreading to Hawaii.

In a new article posted today, PETA mad about bombing Guam with dead mice, PETA has begun to get involved.

The US government’s plan to bomb Guam with poisoned dead mice has sparked outrage among animal rights activists who have referred to the plan as a “clumsy dangerous massacre” of the snakes that have made their home on the island.

The basic problem of the situation is that capture and relocation or euthanization could not be done fast enough to overcome the speed of breading therefore something faster needs to be implemented in order to gain control over the situation. The problem that PETA has with it all is that it can take weeks for the snakes to die and therefore they suffer. I know most people say, "Good, KILL them ALL they are just snakes" but I think there has to be a better way.

With this species taking over there are, by default, other species that are dieing off due to the loss of prey but by killing off the invasive species it allows the population of food to out way the prey and another species will simply take the snakes place. Is the balance of nature beyond repair?

What say you ATS?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

How many non-targeted species will this kill? How many cats? Maybe we should drop poisoned lobbyists all over Washington!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I dont think snakes eat dead mice,
Maybe they should invest in a few thousand cane toads ,they breed like rabbits and will eventually kill eveything on the island and take over ,It was tried in Australia and worked like a charm.
ps . you can L... them and get h... pps .dont try this

edit on 25-2-2013 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Manmade problem...manmade solution.
Nature often has rewarded such instances with extinction of species, followed by adaptation to a new source of food to make extinct.
The rat idea is a good one, and is no different than putting poison pellets around a ants nest in the grander scheme of things.

Only pity here is that the dead snakes won't be collected to make belts and the like. Oh well, food for the worms anyhow.

I also am not sure it will work. many snakes don't want to eat a dead thing unless there is nothing better on the menu...will work for some..but perhaps not enough to make a difference.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
Maybe they should invest in a few thousand cane toads ,they breed like rabbits and will eventually kill eveything on the island and take over ,It was tried in Australia and worked like a charm.
ps . you can L... them and get high... pps .dont try this

edit on 25-2-2013 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

What then is the diet of the cane toad? Don't want to remove one problem by making another.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Pretty much anything that fits in their mouth and some things that dont
Whatever eats them dies
They also like dog food and cigarette butts

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz
reply to post by SaturnFX

Actually the Brown Tree Snake is one species that will eat dead prey, in fact it is preferred which is the only thing that makes this a good idea as many of the other reptiles do not.

reply to post by madmac5150

They are attaching parachutes to the rodents to ensure they get caught in the tree canopy. For the most part only the tree climbing cats will have access to them and for the most part will not be effected by the drug save maybe going to sleep and falling out of the trees. As for other species it is really hard to say due to what is in the canopy and what does make it to the ground but it is safe to say that the decomp will be rampant both in the trees and on the ground.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz

Thats what I was thinking.
My Brother keeps snakes he said that dropping dead mice is a stupid idea.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Waterdog1

Where is Cliff Claven when he is do desperately needed?

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by madmac5150

I had to google Cliff

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I thought snakes mostly liked live food? This sounds more like spreading disease. Introducing rotting flesh into a pristine biome? Bio warfare.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by madmac5150
reply to post by Agarta

How many non-targeted species will this kill? How many cats? Maybe we should drop poisoned lobbyists all over Washington!

And when is the last time a politician ate a lobbyist?

Drop prostitutes if you're going all-out.

top topics

join