It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No new gun control bills in Wisconsin this session

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
www.wiscnews.com...

MADISON — Amid continuing debate over cutting gun violence, Republicans in control of the state Legislature say it’s unlikely the state will pass any gun-control legislation this session.

It seems the only thing that is being looked at in Wisconsin is the focus on mental health issues. (Which I agree with).

“I’d be really surprised if anything passes here in Wisconsin that would restrict gun access,” said state Sen. Glenn Grothman, R-West Bend. “We haven’t talked about it because we’re not going to do it.”

"We're not going to do it."

I say, good for Wisconsin.

The article also cites some Federal data for firearm murders in the state from 2011.

Federal data show Wisconsin had 80 firearm murders in 2011, down from 97 the year before. Nationally, firearm murders have dropped in recent years; the number was in 8,583 in 2011, down from 10,129 in 2007. Calculating the level of gun ownership in Wisconsin is more difficult since the state doesn’t require firearm registration.

Is calculating the level of gun ownership is more difficult? Well, I pulled up the FBI NICS background check info from 2011 also. Just some food for thought.

www.fbi.gov...

The link goes back to the late 90's, but 2011 is only on the 2nd page of the pdf.

A total of 322,761 NICS background checks were made in 2011 in Wisconsin. Again, just some food for thought.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Well I don't think gun-control will actually fix the problem of gun violence at this point in time in our society but I do agree that it is a topic that needs to be revisited and debated quite often.

Certainly the second amendment allows us to bear firearms but it also allows Congress to regulate them based on the weaponry and their effects on society.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Wisconsin? Guns? Ya figure people up there like them? Nawwww..... I can't imagine what signs might indicate such a healthy respect for Constitutionally protected freedoms.

“The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That’s great. There were over 600,000 hunters.

Allow me to restate that number. Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world – more men under arms than Iran; more than France and Germany combined – deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay.
Source

There is just something about how that states the situation for a very vocal anti-gun % largely based in the major cities vs. what is often the opposite in rural (most of) America.

(Of course, we still haven't won the war against Bambi, have we? They are a crafty foe, those deer!
)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I am a proud wisconsinite at the moment. Gov. Walker made conceal and carry legal, he was re-voted in after the state unions waged a re-vote on him. Seems even the members of the union prison gaurds knew their gun rights may be at risk. and Gov. Walker was re-elected with a larger majority than the original election.

I can speak of this because I am a formerly union nurse working at the state mental facility. I am glad the union is not taking $30.00 a month from me anymore to elect stupid democrats to the state and national gov't. That's all the union really does = take your money and give it to democrats.

Also, the state is opening at least one more forensic unit at the state mental facility (Mendota Mental Health Institue) where I have worked for the past 20 years - the forensic units handle criminals who need to undergo evaluations to see if they are mentally ill or not.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

Wisconsin is "open for business" if any liberty loving, conservatives want to move here. You liberals keep to your failing states - like Illinois, California, and the northeast. Sorry, I know you liberty loving New York state people certainly don't need anymore idiot democrats. Send them all to California!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I was worried about this issue as I plan on moving back to Wisconsin in the near future. Any curtailing of the 2d Amendment would have been a deal breaker for me.

Maybe Gov Walker should contact all those businesses that refuse to do busuness with the Gov't or States that treasonously restrict the 2d Amendment and tell them that Wisconsins door is wide open for them to move there.
edit on 25-2-2013 by TDawgRex because: 1st coffee

new topics

top topics

join