It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The sounds of silence. . .and firearm suppressors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Recent news and media attention has focused a great deal on firearms. Most of it, political in nature. Some though has been of a technical nature and that is what I've put a bit of time into creating this thread for.

Namely, the subject of Silencers/Sound Suppressors and how they actually function. I'd originally intended to make this a multi-post series with posts covering the physical science and construction of sound suppressors, but thought better of it. This is an international site, after all. Such explicit instruction may not be appreciated equally by all. I will note that there is plenty online to refer to, where such things are legal for that level of detail.

Enjoy though and I hope it's helpful in adding data for reference.

The Sounds of . . .Little more than actions cycling

(The Intro Fades at 0:22 to hear and they test several with different results)

The Sounds of . . . Near Silent

The Sounds of . . .

Yes, they really make these!

As these show, the levels range from the sound of the bolt working and puff of air leaving the barrel with sub sonic ammunition, to the near cannons which most definitely require full ear protection while using.

________

The 20mm rifle is a wonder to see shoot and I don't mind saying, that's about as close as I'd want to ever get to that.

I recall reading an article in a magazine (real world) years back that described the development of the 20mm sniper rifles and actual eye injury coming from the shock of recoil with early, poor designs. I guess there is an answer to the question of how big is too big. It's amazing that the sound is only comparable to a hunting rifle though. I imagine in that case, the suppressor is what makes the sound of firing it bearable.

________

Once the near exclusive realm of the military, law enforcement or professional assassin type user, silencers are now becoming more and more common. It's been just recently that Missouri finally agreed to allow Silencers in statewide sales under the Class III status.

It's fair to say there is no need for these in civilian hands. Then again though, I can fairly point out that there is no need to deface mountainsides with overhead rides so people can slide down the same mountain on two sticks with no brakes. I'd even say there is absolutely no need to waste the land, resources and water to build and maintain Golf Courses. It's among the greatest resource wastes we see in the world today, in my opinion.

Fortunately, what I think of other people's sporting pursuits matters about as much as their opinions of mine ought to. The sounds of silence are a wonderful thing and let's hear it for a more friendly shooting range and even hunting experience, where legally permitted.

________

In fact, in closing, I'd even go so far as to say that any technology which helps reduce the unpleasant aspects of shooting can only be a positive thing for a sport enjoyed by 10's of millions of Americans across it's various forms. The two worst offenders are, of course, the impact of recoil and the roar of the noise. Muzzle brake products have done wonders and I've even seen them for 10/22's and M-1 Carbine rifles of all things for having recoil very well addressed. .

That leaves the noise which actually comes at a level to do permanent hearing damage, depending on the example. While suppressors won't make any firearm as quiet as a spy movie would love to depict, it sure adds a helpful safety dimension to the shooting sports, to look at it in a positive way

Stay Safe and Happy Shooting on your next trip to the range!

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Great vids Wrabbit. You know, sound suppressors haven't been demonized elsewhere in the world such as they have here. In many locations in Europe that allow gun ownership, these devices aren't regulated - in England (yes they do have firearms there) suppressed shooting is considered polite. And of course here in the USA, there are quite a few suppressors in use by animal control officers and some "exterminators", not just military and police snipers. So, I'd have to disagree that these devices have no useful purpose by civilians.

BTW, there are a number of very well put together instructional videos from the same source yours were obtained outlining construction, theory and practice using these devices.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:23 AM
link   
To your knowledge, does suppression technology exist that can cope with double barreled, pump action shotguns? I have no need to know, save my own curiosity.

I have to say, the videos that show the MP5 and others being fired with no more sound or fury than can be provided by the mechanical cycles involved are STAGGERING!

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Nicely done. I have a silencer (YHM Cobra 2 on a P226 host, it took me a year to get my pretty blue stamp) and I'll tell you, once you actually shoot a silenced pistol you quickly find out all the spooky-scary stories you hear in the media is complete and utter hogwash. They don't turn law abiding citizens into hardened hitmen nor does it mutate the bullet on the molecular level into depleted uranium with a tactical nuclear warhead. They make a big bang sound like a little bang. Wow, call out the marines.

After all the overhead in getting the thing and regulations in storing it (FYI to anyone looking to get one themselves- you CANNOT LEAVE IT ALONE WITH SOMEONE IT ISN'T REGISTERED TO. It IS ILLEGAL AS [CENSORED] AND BOTH YOU AND THEY WILL BE INSTANT FELONS.) the novelty quickly wears off. It's sort of like hooking up with a sexy woman who can only talk about her cats.
edit on 26-2-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

Thanks for that perspective! I haven't talked to many who own one or have done more than see one used on the range. I'm very familiar with the permit process and gun trusts as another option but knowing how and actually going through the process are different things as I am SURE you can attest to, having come out the right side of the long trip.

It's odd because like most, I did grow up with the media fantasies and images in my head about what Silencers were. Somehow I always thought, never having seen one then, that it would make target shooting right in our own backyards a real option in the city. If nothing else, heck. that professional hit man job would always be open, right? The delusions of youth.

The way you describe it sounds much like I came to see the "sensitive" databases I used while helping my Father in the years before his passing, on investigation work. All the SS #'s and everything else a person could want or need to build a dossier on someone. It seemed the promise land ...before getting there. It wasn't long before it lost all it's novelty and like you describe, regulations on even leaving someone in the same room as my computer took any fun out of what became nothing but work. Tedious, boring and mind numbing work.

Funny how that works, isn't it? Sometimes, I think it's better we have these little illusions to wistfully think about than meet the reality and dash the stuff of silly daydreams.

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
double post
edit on 27-2-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Funny how that works, isn't it? Sometimes, I think it's better we have these little illusions to wistfully think about than meet the reality and dash the stuff of silly daydreams.

That about sums it up. For a while there I was actually looking to pick up a full auto MAC-10, which as you know are heinously expensive and regulated to the point of being retarded but still mega cool. Then I learned how to bump fire my AR-15, and found out the cruel hard reality that the media was lying to us all again! You can't hit a damned thing in rapid fire mode, you'll empty the magazine in three seconds, and you'll squander thirty bucks in ammo to do it. That pretty much cured me of my full auto wanderlust.

Don't get me wrong; I know a hunter or two who loves the added value of hunting with suppressors, as they regularly go hunting with their suppressed .300 whispers and they're not coming back with ringing ears. I'm just saying that getting such toys entirely for the "cool" value will wear off pretty quickly. That, and constantly showing the paperwork with the pretty blue stamp everywhere you take it to avoid the steel bracelets. God, the horror stories I've heard.
edit on 27-2-2013 by GoodOlDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
To your knowledge, does suppression technology exist that can cope with double barreled, pump action shotguns? I have no need to know, save my own curiosity.

metrogun.com...
That is the most effective one that is around I believe but it has trade off...32inches added to your gun. You might want to get a unicycle to use as a monopod.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Thats ridiculous ! But amazing as well.

Thanks for that !

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Thats ridiculous ! But amazing as well.

Thanks for that !

NP, I have never heard one being shot but the people I have talked to that have used them said that it is really quiet (relatively). They have said that it is awkward to get used to but not as bad as you would think.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   

I wouldnt have the first little clue about such things myself, in terms of having never pulled the trigger on a functioning firearm. About the closest I have come was when the British Army did a recruitment drive in our local town centre. They had some deactivated SA-80 rifles for the kids to hold and get the feel of. Other than that, I did stand next to one of the big field guns that the MoD use to test new types of ammunition, when they did a set of test firings during an open day (my father used to work at thier testing ranges locally). I tell you what, the MoD really know how to put a barbeque on!

I am capable of understanding the physics of such things however. The air displacement of a shotgun blast is incredible for its size, and muffling that is an impressive feat. My curiosity is now satisfied, for which I thank you.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Good thread, Wrabbit.

The idea in itself is a remarkable one...suppressing the sound.
By all means, if people want them, then it's their right to be able to acquire them.
Thankfully, we still can get them because they are extemely useful.
Even the least powered rifle fired without hearing protection is terribly damaging.

I certainly agree with GD's post about the novelty, it wears quickly.
The rigorous background information checks, and strict regs make it almost unbearable.
By the time a person recieves one, it's a year late and a dollar short...so to speak.

I also agree with the fully automatic fire in all cases.
Which is mainly used for suppresive return fire, not accuracy at all.
Most shooters will attest to that...which is why select fire is important.
That, and the cost of ammo coupled with the lack of supply., makes for conservatism.
But it IS fun...just not accurate.
Probably not a bad thing these days...

Great info!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I wouldnt have the first little clue about such things myself, in terms of having never pulled the trigger on a functioning firearm. About the closest I have come was when the British Army did a recruitment drive in our local town centre. They had some deactivated SA-80 rifles for the kids to hold and get the feel of.

Any word on whether any of those kids decided to spontaneously commit suicide afterwards...?

You wouldn't believe the utterly retarded things the gun control nuts are saying over here.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GoodOlDave

I have no idea on that scale GoodOlDave. Most of those kids probably had never held a weapon before that day, and I would have thought that of fifteen kids I saw, there probably wasnt even one that ever did again. Uptake into the military say thirteen or fourteen years back wasnt at its peak, which is why they were out there on the streets in the first place.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Honestly most suppressors are there to minimize muzzle flash(and far better than a compensator). A lot of integrally suppressed weapons such as the MP5SD usually have lower velocity rounds fired through them to further reduce the actual sound of the shot. As for civilian use I believe it is more than fine to own one, especially if your neighbors don't take kindly to loud gunshots.

new topics

top topics

join