It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New anti-piracy system will hit U.S. Internet users next week

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

New anti-piracy system will hit U.S. Internet users next week

Headline as shared from source

Next week? Might be possible as the said date isn't official but either way it's something to look out for... see below.

Starting next week, most U.S. Internet users will be subject to a new copyright enforcement system that could slow the Internet to a crawl and force violators to take educational courses.
Source

Just found this explained and have yet to see it posted. Posting as a warning, also to show what madness is proposed to happen with this.

CAS, the Copywrite Alert System; This is done by a connection through p2p by the content owners. The internet user in question will be altered through their ISP that they are downloading copywritten material, if they continue they will be subject to any or all of the following, an alert acknowledgement form, educational videos about copywritten data to slowed internet speed.

Also,

The date of the launch isn't yet official—the source expressed surprise that the news has been kept so tightly under wraps—but it's been rumored for several weeks to be at the end of February.

Guess we'll hear more soon enough.

Embedded to the article is the promotional video from CAS here.
Same reposting of video:

Read More...

Related: RT - Copyright Alert System-could you end up in jail?

Updates to be posted as followed, any addition information on it will be appreciated.

edit on 24-2-2013 by dreamingawake because: vid

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Will it work on proxy connections?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Wow!!! *sarcasm*

"The “Alert” you received is meant to inform you that your Internet account may have been used to engage in copyright infringement. We want you to know about the importance of respecting copyright and the potential consequences of inadvertent or purposeful sharing of movies, music and TV shows through peer-to-peer networks. To avoid receiving future Alerts, here are some steps you can take:

If you have been downloading or sharing content illegally please stop doing so immediately.

Make sure that everyone who uses your internet connection knows that you received this alert and advise them to use only legal sources for music, TV shows and movies.

Secure your home wireless network so that only people you authorize are able to use it. Learn more here."

How is this any different from getting a letter from the ISP?

ISP Letters

What are these letters? Copyright warning letters are an automated process. This has been going on since about 2003 and so far, nothing bad has happened to anyone as a result of these letters. Content owners hire anti-piracy companies who will harvest and collect ips which they believe are infringing. Once they have the ip, they send out copyright letters to the isp that hosts the ip in question. Some ISPs simply ignore these letters, while others faithfully forward the emails to the customer's account associated with the infringing IP-address. Many ISPs don't keep records of these events.

We are in a crisis where companies are going bankrupt, they will not F-UP the chance of a customer bailing on the ISP. This Copyright Alert System is nothing different and you posting this is making it more sensationalized than it needs to be.

Also, not to mention the fact that there is strong IP hiders on the market. So, they will never stop everyone.

I think basically, this is just a warning that someone may be using your internet to do things illegally. There is already programs out there like that as well. Nothing new here.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Will it work on proxy connections?

Would be a way to evade it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by johngrissom

There's the point of it being "new" because it's a quicker, more invasive, process than the "letters" mentioned.

Sensationalizing, hardly, not everyone knows about this. As mentioned the title was used according to ATS rules.

The ISP companies are so monopolized, some areas only have that choice for a net service, doubtful that they concerned about loss due to being in favor of the system.

But move along nothing to see here, right?
edit on 24-2-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Forget the arguments as to whether stealing is right or wrong... right?

Is there any reason for people to pause and consider the moral, ethical and perhaps spiritual implications of voluntarily stealing "digital" materials "just because they can?

Stealing is stealing... No?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Is it illegal to stream one of the movies off of solar movi or other sites like that one? Are we going to see punishments being dealt out for people that are "free streaming"

What is this all really about?
edit on 24-2-2013 by Quauhtli because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
So basically, this will adversely affect people who steal things off you? Wow! How unfair ......

Of course, if you are a thief ....

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I do not think they will stop piracy 100 percent, but they are going to continue to find better ways to enforce the copyright laws.

The argument will remain thou..

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I guess this is just another law to protect those that are seeking to get rich off a phrase or a picture.....To bad they don't go after china,N.Korea, India,Iran, Eygpt, and all those contries that stick the middle finger up to us and they want to inforce this, sounds like double jeparody since they don't inforce it with other contries but they sure want to wheel there power on us.

Like you can really say that a copyright law to th words of Happy Birthday is something your going to prosocute over.

So how many stupid things are they going to come up with.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

Is there any reason for people to pause and consider the moral, ethical and perhaps spiritual implications of voluntarily stealing "digital" materials "just because they can?

What does it mean to "own" something? We would need a clear definition of that in an objective sense to then define what "stealing" was, so your question would get pretty philosophical pretty quickly.

Ill tell you what the PTB and large corporations consider as "ownership" though... if they can TAKE it by whatever means works, they own it.

Seems they simply dont like others playing by their own rules.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The new Intel Insider feature running on Sandy Bridge and other chipsets already monitors everything running through your computer with a server to verify if its copyrighted....and prevents you from using that software.

There was an old version of Windows that came with a Wheezer video and a couple other videos when they were touting their new media player.

The new computer hardware chipsets and Windows 7 won't even allow those videos to be played...even though Microsoft gave you those video's on earlier releases of Windows.

Start buying ALL the pre-2000 computer you can find and restore them. They're now worth their weight in Gold. They are the only systems you now can set up for your music / video collections.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Looks like I'm gonna be doing all my illegal stuff at Starbucks from now on. Free public Wifi... I wonder how they're gonna work around that one...

ETA: Here's a "guide" to how its suppose to work. It looks like it's only suppose to affect uploaders.

www.dailydot.com...
edit on 2/24/2013 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

so what is it thats being stolen then? (and im not sure if you are aware but it has been shown that piracy actually has no negative impact on product sales and in some cases increases sales due to the material being introduced to a wider audience)

to give an example if ugg carves a wheel and i see uggs wheel and say "ugg has nice wheel.... me want wheel" and i look at his wheel understand how it works and carve a copy of that wheel (and maybe added some of my own design elements further advancing the technology)..... did i steal anything from ugg? would it make sense for ugg to get pissed off and start throwing stones because im some kind of witch and stole his brain thoughts? or does it make more sense that ideas are abstracts of which ownership cannot be enforced or legitimately claimed

and where does it end? im listening to some zappa in my head right now..... recreating intellectual property without paying for it..... whos going to call thief?

information should be free..... and having legally exclusive rights to ideas is a very strange road to go down
edit on 24-2-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Those that are hopping on the "moral" soapbox are missing what one point of this involves. This goes beyond downloads and file sharing.

Say you buy and install a program legally but find that it does not do what you need it to do. You cannot return it to the source of the purchase for exchange or refund. You will not be able to uninstall the program and sell it to someone else either...the kicker here is the implication that even though you paid retail price for something, you do not "own" it. This is becoming more and more prevalent with so called "intellectual" property.

For me personally, if I pay for something and find that it is not what I wanted or needed...I should have the right to do whatever I want to with "my" legal" copy. If I want to give it to my brother or sell it in a yard sale...that is MY choice. There is, however, a movement to stop this and basically say you do not "own" software or the machines that it runs on. Sorry man...since they do not give returns at the stores on software purchases...I will do whatever I want with my paid for property.

This is just one edge of the sword they are unsheathing on you and most have not bothered to investigate this type of crap enough to know it. It's not just about "stealing" and downloading pirated material...it's about transferring intellectual property...whether it was legally paid for up front is not their concern...period.
edit on 2/24/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
This seems like a backwards approach.

Shouldn't they be having the content removed at the source site so it cannot be downloaded over and over. Sounds like a way to just keep repeating the 'your a bad person' message.

If anything the uploads would be monitored. When the material appears, zap it. At the legit sites, a payment would be needed to access it. If some person just loads it to share then attack the problem at upload time which is the person starting the whole fiasco.

Seems to be following the typical war on anything plan of chasing end user, not the source.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
delete
edit on 24-2-2013 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

What does it mean to "own" something?

What does it mean to "steal" something?

Every person knows what wrong and right is, what stealing is. Some people simply have no regard for ownership. It's far to easy for people to steal, and to be corrupted, coerced into theft when it involves "digital" materials. No matter how you try to defend the act of stealing, you can't make the act of theft more right than wrong. Nor can you erase the damage it can do to the soul.

IMO

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by scojak
Looks like I'm gonna be doing all my illegal stuff at Starbucks from now on. Free public Wifi... I wonder how they're gonna work around that one...

Actually, according to the video, its geared exclusively towards distributors of content, not downloaders.

So you have nothing to worry about really.

Also, if using a p2p with encryption, I would think the data would be safe from scanning anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It just seems to me that logic says this is the wrong approach. Those creating this system should also see this fact.

So the reason must be a fear campaign hoping many average people will into scared into never 'cheating'. Fear is the favorite tool of those wielding power.

Of course we know that won't really work either.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join