It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

firefox crashing on windows 8

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Hi guys and gals. Having a lot of difficulty with firefox crashing constantly. I've updated everything and have looked around a lot of forums but still no idea why its happening.
I've tried chrome and hate it.
I have my pc configured to desktop mode so could that be the problem?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Maybe use the program you hate (Chrome) than one that simply does not work. At least until Mozilla works the bugs out of Firefox anyways.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Well what version of fire fox? is it a stable release? are there any other people having the same issue as you in the same configuration? are you using a 64bit variant of Firefox?

Firefox runs fine for me...

Desktop mode is a trick of the mind that microsoft threw at the world to try and fool us.

Windows 8 runs the desktop regardless. It just loads metro over it. If you have a dual monitor setup, you'll notice that the second monitor has... the desktop.

The entire inner workings of the system still operates reliant on the things that only run in a desktop environment.

I thought, at first, it was more metro with a little desktop to sooth the savage retro users who still think windows 2000 was a mistake.

But the more I've had to deal with it, the more I realise, metro is the side line.. big fancy side line.

So anything as typical as firefox won't really be too bothered by windows 8. I think the issue is elsewhere, but where..

you don't give enough details.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sussy

First step: Complete uninstall and reinstall. Then, if stable, add in whatever plug-ins you desire, one at a time, giving a bit of surfing time in between to see if an add-on is the culprit.

Firefox has a longstanding memory bleed issue that is well known and documented. But, aside from that, it tends to be exceptionally stable.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Thanks Heff, wil try it out. I've reinstalled it but now it just hangs. Firefox 19.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by sussy

Does this apply to your system?:

Users who have older installations of Google Desktop Search may experience crashes on startup; reinstalling Google Desktop Search fixes the problem (bug 401513)

Source

It would be a crime for me, incidentally, not to take this opportunity to invite you to the wonderful and amazing world of Linux!

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ( long term support ), 12.10, and the soon to be released 13.4 all make Windows seem like an old beat up car.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
your browser user profile is (most likely) corrupted.

you should create a new one and then delete the old one.

important ... export bookmarks and important saved info first!

support.mozilla.org...

note ... this file is saved seperate from your mozzilla program, so when you reinstall the browser, it will reapply the same BAD PREFERENCES!
you need to delete it (profile) to fix anything that way.

edit ... this option sound like the best for you ...reseting firefox

it'll fix yah' right up!

edit on 24-2-2013 by tinhattribunal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

It would be a crime for me, incidentally, not to take this opportunity to invite you to the wonderful and amazing world of Linux!

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ( long term support ), 12.10, and the soon to be released 13.4 all make Windows seem like an old beat up car.

Right because one browser problem warrants switching to an entirely different operating system that has %1 market share. Besides Flash is only supported in Chrome on Linux now.
edit on 24-2-2013 by CyberneticProphet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CyberneticProphet

Yes and the newest version of noobuntu will make windows look old. Does anyone remember the disaster releases like Natty and Gnome 3?

new topics

top topics

join