It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reasons why your "bugout plan" will absolutely WIN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I read the post of The reasons why your "bugout plan" will absolutely fail!, and want to say that, if you find yourself "bugging out" in Northern Indiana or whatever location you are in, I will only shoot if you present a danger to me or mine.

However, I would be more than happy to invite you in for a warm fire, food, and drink. I believe that everyone, no matter of residential dwelling may have a skill set that I may not have, and as such, would be able to build a community with such give and take.

I believe our country is more than "screw you I'll kill you and take what you had" mentality and in times of desperation, would pull together and strive to make a better place.

I would recommend to everyone to watch Craigslist Joe (available on Netflix) and see what people may really be like currently. Not to mention, how people would be in th face of an apocalypse.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

Woah woah woah! You mean I will last longer than 1-3 years if I am the most skilled person on the planet? Whew!

I agree with you. Bartering will "even the odds" when it comes to Rambo wannabes. Take a place in a community if you have goods/skills that are useful.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Woah woah woah! You mean I will last longer than 1-3 years if I am the most skilled person on the planet? Whew!

I agree with you. Bartering will "even the odds" when it comes to Rambo wannabes. Take a place in a community if you have goods/skills that are useful.

I am sorry, but you will NOT last longer if you meet me. I will kill you and absorb your powers into my own... then I WILL BE the MOST skilled person on Earth!

Bawhahaha

Honestly, people with the desire to survive WILL survive. If SHTF, people will come together in small communities. Yes, we will have those that form to kill and take what other have, but they will not last long. Without people who know what and how to do things and pass them on to generations, nomads (people who kill and move on) will die eventually.

I mean has Hollywood has taught us that the only ones who will live would be Kevin Cosner and Chuck Norris
edit on 23-2-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I will be on a sailboat 1200 miles off the coast sunbathing and drinking a watered down tequila while you all are dodging the roving gangs of bandits and thieves and eating grubs with the occasional treat of dandelions.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catalyst317

I believe our country is more than the "screw you I'll kill you and take what you had" mentality and in times of desperation, would pull together and strive to make a better place.

I agree. I think people watch too much TV, and too many dystopian, post-apocalyptic movies. Sure, one could argue that people aren't as nice as they "used to be", but I don't buy that. We are still human, and the majority of people will still choose compassion over insta-murder, IMO. Those whom are smart and skilled enough to establish a self-sustaining community would also realize a non-threatening situation from a threatening one, or at least know how to discern the two safely. Also, there must be an amount of goodness and compassion in someone if they are part of a community in the first place.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

I am sorry, but you will NOT last longer if you meet me. I will kill you and absorb your powers into my own... then I WILL BE the MOST skilled person on Earth!

Bawhahaha

edit on 23-2-2013 by apokalupsis33vital because: oops

So you will be the last one left, you will win the Prize, you will Know Everything, you will Be Everything.... you will be the Highlander?! Hahaha

edit on 23-2-2013 by apokalupsis33vital because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2013 by apokalupsis33vital because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

LOVE IT... I didn't even think of Highlander when I wrote that, but it fits so well! LOL

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
I will be on a sailboat 1200 miles off the coast sunbathing and drinking a watered down tequila while you all are dodging the roving gangs of bandits and thieves and eating grubs with the occasional treat of dandelions.

If I swim out with my own slip and slide, can I drink tequila with you?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

If I swim out with my own slip and slide, can I drink tequila with you?

Yes, but only if you bring the slip-n-slide.

No freeloaders allowed.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I think the tv show Jericho was pretty close to the truth of how it would be.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I think the tv show Jericho was pretty close to the truth of how it would be.

Great show! I thought that that was also as close as we would get as well. I could see one town becoming jealous of of another prosperous town as to trying to take it over... Barring a tank that is.. However, the lack of anyone, other than the main people, having skills was a disappointment.

I had such high hopes for The Colony, but after the first two episodes, I gave up.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hmm.

I infer that you will take anyone in for food, drink, etc only if you presume that there will be just a few wanderers/stragglers. How many people—and in what numbers—would you really be willing to offer such hospitalities to should such a situation REALLY present itself.

In such a scenario, if such a scenarios truly presents itself, and what we perceive of the varieties of human nature, it seems unlikely that YOU would last very long, no disrespect. In such a theoretical situation, while many people seek to truly help others and survive without taking advantage of other people—by whatever means necessary—you WILL come across someone that will take your life and property for their own ends.

And if you did start a community of like-minded individuals, the same still applies.

Yes, i am thinking of various portrayals (film, literature) of said situations, and knowing the variety of human behavior, while being open and hospitable seems (and IS) honorable enough, one cannot predict every individual or scenario, or every situation. This is shown on a larger scale by society in general, even with "order" and "laws" and "supermarkets."

Why would this discord not exist on a smaller scale?

True, one WILL need the help of others...

It seems good in theory, but differences and tensions will test the limits anything.
edit on 23-2-2013 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

unlikely that YOU would not last very long

**cough** **cough** double negative

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by apokalupsis33vital

I believe our country is more than the "screw you I'll kill you and take what you had" mentality and in times of desperation, would pull together and strive to make a better place.

I agree. I think people watch too much TV, and too many dystopian, post-apocalyptic movies. Sure, one could argue that people aren't as nice as they "used to be", but I don't buy that. We are still human, and the majority of people will still choose compassion over insta-murder, IMO. Those whom are smart and skilled enough to establish a self-sustaining community would also realize a non-threatening situation from a threatening one, or at least know how to discern the two safely. Also, there must be an amount of goodness and compassion in someone if they are part of a community in the first place.

I agree, but even those that have no obvious skills in our modern society, will learn what they have to offer. Those that have absolutely no skill can always weed a garden, post as watch, harvest crops, etc. There can always be room for people that pull their own weight.

However, Keyboard-Rambo will disagree and say they will kill everyone because they are amazing at Call of Duty.... Kids today....

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
cause it involves boarding a cruise ship and entering a position of logistics in regards to survival.

I mean if this whole continent we're going up in flames my choices are extremely limited.
I live next to the ocean, mountains and the American border.

I would be all about meeting a group of likeminded people to get out to somewhere civilized.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

They are merely recognizing the power I WILL have.

To be honest, if a situation presented itself, I would assume A wondering person, even with evil intent in their heart, would be swayed not to follow through with a whole community around. Even if they did, I refuse to play the role of the cold hearted individual because times were hard. If we do not have compassion, what do we have? I would rather die than to treat my fellow human beings as cattle ready for the slaughter.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Corrected.

Guess i should proofread next time.

BTW: that's all you have to add, being a grammar Nazi?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Apparently, during my 1200 mile swim with a slip-n-slide on my back, I must also learn to speak proper English.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

You have brought the optimism that would be needed in challenging times. Having a defeatist attitude would be like throwing gas on a fire. With proper planning and preparation we all stand a chance; and I will take a remote chance over no chance any day.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence

Corrected.

Guess i should proofread next time.

BTW: that's all you have to add, being a grammar Nazi?

Shhh... she has Tequila...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join