It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reasons why your "bugout plan" will absolutely fail!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   

you would die of carb-loss within a year

Carb loss? No.

Tell that to all the people on a ketogenic diet. The body, once adapted, runs quite happily on ketones.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
My bugout plan will not fail. It can't fail if you don't do it. My wife doesn't want to go either. We'll have it easier just staying put. The people bugging out in the woods can stop by for a cup of coffee once in a while
I'll teach them what you can and can't eat in the woods around here while their having coffee.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by sirbadazz

Those reasons are generally why I tend to favor "bugging in" plans. Bugging out is an absolute last resort, for when your home is gone, never to be won back.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I'm not comparing myself to you, you have a lot more experience with survivalist scenarios... but I do have common sense.

Numbers are power. Just have to be careful not to recruit dependent whiners... like all my friends.

Try making a prepping plan for a bunch of children.

i watch the survivor and prepper series on tv, and i lol my arse off, everytime.

Agreed. Some of them interest me--especially "Ark 2." That one I adored. But, a lot of these guys' plans are laughable.

I think that Ark 2 is fantastic, though. The best thing ever shown on Doomsday Preppers.

Pretty cool, if you watch the whole segment with Bruce and his Ark 2.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
Richard Proenneke retired at age 52, moved to Twin Lakes, Alaska, built a cabin using hand tools and lived there alone for the next 30 years.

He documented his life through film, which PBS airs every now and then entitled "Alone in the Wilderness"

www.dickproenneke.com...
edit on 22-2-2013 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

Liar!!

If the OP can't do this with his VAST resource of knowledge and skills, then how can an old man do it? Didn't you read? Rambo-op will only live 1-3 years, what makes you think that this video isn't one put out by TPTB just to make us have hope!???

edit on 23-2-2013 by superman2012 because: forgot to put /sarcasm

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

I'm starting to think "the expert" is not really an expert.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Richard Proenneke retired at age 52, moved to Twin Lakes, Alaska, built a cabin using hand tools and lived there alone for the next 30 years.

He documented his life through film, which PBS airs every now and then entitled "Alone in the Wilderness"

www.dickproenneke.com...

Liar!!

If the OP can't do this with his VAST resource of knowledge and skills, then how can an old man do it? Didn't you read? Rambo-op will only live 1-3 years, what makes you think that this video isn't one put out by TPTB just to make us have hope!???

Proennke had supplies flown in.......
edit on 23-2-2013 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
We're gradually moving toward survival independence (wife and I) because we have a small farm, livestock, and gardens. In a really bad situation though, community or otherwise, I could see some really difficult points.

First and foremost, if it got that bad, we'd have to post guards on the livestock and gardens round the clock. Bad guys don't just pop up and ask you to shoot them, so odds are after a few bad guys we'd be out of odds and we'd be victim.

I'm also convinced that even before it ever got to the point of a free-for-all shtf, the federal government would do exactly what I'm worried about, except they'd do it with armies of heavily armed agents. They are already targeting producers. See 7 USC 2204g. They are conducting an 'agricultural census', and I'm convinced that they are planning on using this data to rob farmers of their food to appease the non-food-producing masses in order to keep their grip on control of the population.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's surprising that humans made it to ten thousand years ago given that we'll die without carbs. Lmao

There are some good points in the op but you gotta take things with a pinch of salt.

It's a life on the ocean waves for me and mine when tshtf anyway so I'm not worried.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
for all you preppers...going underground is the worst thing you can do....when you close that big steel door, i'll take my time, and use patience to find out where the absolutely neccessary air vents are, and plug them....then i'll take a covered position within gunshot of the door(s) and just wait for the people in there to come out.
by the way, the amount of hunters out on foot, will be enormous during that time, and they won't be stupid like the ones in all of the movies, there will be highly intelligent and skilled people hunters, that will be brutal and savage, and the only logic they will use, is deciding how you can be used, either as an immediate food source, or for some other future self-beneficial idea.
i laugh every time i watch those shows, because i can spot the weakness in each plan pretty easily.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Really? Mountain men in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were generally loners who were out in the wilderness for one to two years and many of them did just fine thank you...

Methinks you've overstated it just ever so slightly. Some of us, and I count myself among 'em, are fully capable of living in the wilderness alone for some little time. Oh, eventually, I'd go looking for people because a group can live much easier than one alone. But for you to imply, or state rather, that it can't be done indefinitely is just about wrong. Been done, is being done...and can be, if necessary, done.

Planning. Training.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

we will be a community.

I think some people on the thread are missing your point.

You need to be part of a community now, and not just a small one.

Everything is relationship based. I see it in business and many other areas of life.

What happens if a natural or man made disaster hits your region along with a SHTF scenario?

Civil war?

Forrest fires?

Flooding?

What if your whole local tribe or community is affected?

I ain't gonna preach, but I'd like to talk about the practical benefits of my community.

I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

We are a global congregation.

We have all been instructed to have a bug out bag.

Regional Building Committees were formed worldwide to construct buildings for use by congregations, but in recent years, they are now also being used to coordinate disaster relief efforts for the congregation. ( I helped after the Katrina disaster)

I've traveled to the other side of the planet, and found friends who would help me.

What kind of community are you part of?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
for all you preppers...going underground is the worst thing you can do....when you close that big steel door, i'll take my time, and use patience to find out where the absolutely necessary air vents are, and plug them....then i'll take a covered position within gunshot of the door(s) and just wait for the people in there to come out.
This puts a smile on my face when I think of those in underground $ilo-palace$ lounging in front of their bigscreens.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

S&F to you! Finally someone who sees the COMMUNITY as what it is for. I have so often cited in my threads and replies the value of a community versus the sole individualism. And it is exactly this "ME" attitude and philosophy of the common American, that is the true cause of their demise/problems/suffering etc.
This is for sure one of the finest posts I have ever read.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I too am a survivalist that has the want and preps to make a really good start at surviving, Im not going to go into what have except that im multi-skilled in energy creating, have massive food preps, hunting skills, and extremely adaptive BUT I would say that trying to go it alone and acting like Rambo is your first and last mistake. Your odds of surviving greatly increase with a well rounded group of people that each have something to contribute to the survival of that group. To go it alone is almost suicide, the physical part of surviving maybe easy for you if your just that prepared, but the emotional toll of being alone will eventually catch up, and why even survive if your just going to live your life out in isolation, life is about creating, loving, teaching, and passing on what you now to your offspring for the assurance of another generation to carry on what you have taught. Its not all about going it alone and being everyones hero to look up too. already way too many people have that mindset, and its one that will eventually be there downfall.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Really? Mountain men in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries were generally loners who were out in the wilderness for one to two years and many of them did just fine thank you..

You mean the wilderness where Native Americans lived?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dusty1

Originally posted by superman2012

www.dickproenneke.com...

Liar!!

Proennke had supplies flown in.......

...to live off, or for comfort? Did he need them?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Nice post, I guess you knew a lot of "city folk" were going to get mad at you.
On ats this quote ring's true.

" it's not denial, I am just selective about the reality I accept"

edit on 23-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

While I do not prescribe to organized religion, I do admire the JW's for their community mindedness. I have been moving and they have offered to help, no strings said they.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoodNuz
Water
Fire
Food
Shelter
Security

Very difficult to cover all of those at all times, alone. The one thing I noticed never seems adequately addressed on those survivor/doomsday prepper shows is medicine/first aid and care.

I missed this part the first time, agree with the sentiment here

save this country and our humanity for the next generation and stop planning how you will roll out and kill bambi and rednecks because you didnt have the heart or courage to stand against out-of-control globalist insanity that caused the fall. community is the only sane path for survival in hard times.

edit on 22-2-2013 by GoodNuz because: (no reason given)

Well me and my family have a sea-worthy sailboat we plan to make our escape on. Once we get out of range of motorized craft we should be just fine. There's quite a few deserted islands to gather supplies or rest and we can fish and have a solar desalinization contraption for water on the boat. I believe we have that list you wrote covered quite well except for fire but you can get by without that as long as your protected from the elements.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Hmm, you say you would kill anyone that trespassed on your communities property. That would lead to the eventual destruction of your community. Karma aside, all it would take is one person to witness such an event or one person in the community that does not believe in murder for that to go really bad. It would be far better for your community to assess each drifter and decide if they can contribute to your community and stay or simply nudge them off of your property. Your community is doomed if they all believe what you are saying.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join