It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands May Have Been Exposed to Deadly TB Epidemic in Downtown Los Angeles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The feds are descending on downtown Los Angeles to combat what they say might be a dangerous outbreak of a drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis.

Jeff Nguyen, reporting for CBS2 and KCAL9, went downtown in search of people who may have been exposed.

John Williams started living at the Weingart shelter on LA’s Skid Row two weeks ago. Before he could be admitted he had to undergo a screening for tuberculosis.

Full story:CBS NEWS
edit on 22-2-2013 by vind21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vind21

Good find.. Yikes!
I hope it doesn't progress any further..Just one more thing to think about as far as the "Delicate" balance we live in on this planet. S&F!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Treatment

The goal of treatment is to cure the infection with drugs that fight the TB bacteria. Treatment of active pulmonary TB will always involve a combination of many drugs (usually four drugs). All of the drugs are continued until lab tests show which medicines work best.

Commonly used drugs include:

Isoniazid
Rifampin
Pyrazinamide
Ethambutol

Other drugs that may be used to treat TB include:

Amikacin
Ethionamide
Moxifloxacin
Para-aminosalicylic acid
Streptomycin

You may need to take many different pills at different times of the day for 6 months or longer. It is very important that you take the pills the way your health care provider instructed.

When people do not take their TB medications as instructed, the infection can become much more difficult to treat. The TB bacteria can become resistant to treatment. This means the drugs no longer work.

When there is a concern that a patient may not take all the medication as directed, a health care provider may need to watch the person take the prescribed drugs. This approach is called directly observed therapy. In this case, drugs may be given 2 or 3 times per week, as prescribed by a doctor.

You may need to stay at home or be admitted to a hospital for 2 - 4 weeks to avoid spreading the disease to others until you are no longer contagious.

Your doctor or nurse is required by law to report your TB illness to the local health department. Your health care team will be sure that you receive the best care.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
TB isn't the boogyman that it once was. 150 years ago it was a death sentence. 65 years ago my 89 yo grandmother had a lung removed. Today it's a passing concern. It's like appendicitis.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Did you actualy read the article?

We are talking about a drug resistant form of TB that is pretty damn serious when it sports a 25% kill rate in the united states.

We had an event with this strain a few days ago in Colorado that killed a young girl which required a hazmat response, this is not you're everyday TB it's a form that has, whether deliberately or not, been created to resist our typical ways of combating it.

Look Im not saying run for the hills we are all going to die, but it's a pretty big deal when something like this happens in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the world and on this large or a scale.

Even more so when people take on the attitude you displayed:

Tuberculosis 'Superbug' Not Stateside Threat, Says FP Expert

Family Docs Vital To Diagnosing, Treating Latent Disease Properly
By Matt Brown
Posted: 2/20/2012, 2:45 p.m.

TB not a threat

Now 2 days later we have a MAJOR STATESIDE out break......

Yeah move along nothing to see here.....

Anti-tuberculosis (TB) drug resistance is a major public health problem that threatens progress made in TB care and control worldwide. Drug resistance arises due to improper use of antibiotics in chemotherapy of drug-susceptible TB patients. This improper use is a result of a number of actions including, administration of improper treatment regimens and failure to ensure that patients complete the whole course of treatment. Essentially, drug resistance arises in areas with weak TB control programmes. A patient who develops active disease with a drug-resistant TB strain can transmit this form of TB to other individuals.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
TB isn't the boogyman that it once was. 150 years ago it was a death sentence. 65 years ago my 89 yo grandmother had a lung removed. Today it's a passing concern. It's like appendicitis.

True but with the strains of bacteria growing more resistant to current antibiotics a once weak TB strain can evolve.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Again since it seems people are not reading my posts...

This is not a typical TB outbreak it is a strain that caused major issues in India awhile back, it is HIGHLY resistant to our typical drug solutions and to top it off since it goes inactive people fail to complete treatment then a few weeks later it returns as a fully resistant form and they die.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by vind21
Again since it seems people are not reading my posts...

This is not a typical TB outbreak it is a strain that caused major issues in India awhile back, it is HIGHLY resistant to our typical drug solutions and to top it off since it goes inactive people fail to complete treatment then a few weeks later it returns as a fully resistant form and they die.

S&F for the thread OP.

Check out the chart below.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Obama has given +20 million foreignors NEW US citizenship since he took office.

Your going to see very dire health issues coming in with those 3rd world refugees brought in to replace allll the Americans their Governments killed off through various money making schemes over the decades.

Vioxx....Bextra....they knew it was going to kill lots of people but pushed it anyways to generate $$$$

They've been using lots of things to make people sick to generate $$$$.....plus America was getting cut from Saudi Arabia's nipple and they had to cripple the populace so they wouldn't notice there wasn't enough gasoline now for them.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

There are strains of TB that are COMPLETELY drug resistant, and the one in this case is a drug resistant strain.

You get it, and there may be NO treatment available for it.

FYI

edit on 23-2-2013 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Missing Canadian woman found dead in LA hotel water tank, after residents and guests report bad tasting discolored water... + outbreak of TB that may have infected thousands?

Timing is interesting.... Coincidence?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by vind21

My goodness we need to do something about this. We better make sure everyone has healthcare and is happy paying for it no matter what. sarc

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
just wanted to post this as it hit my inbox..

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Wrong....
2nd line

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

A few people are jumping in to ridicule this statement, but I have to say, as silly as it sounds, the fact that the disease is TB is relatively happy news.

Certain strains of TB are multi resistant, but not in the same way as say MRSA or VRSA - there is no strain of TB currently active which is effectively untreatable. The ABs used to treat TB are harmless, plentiful and common. The media is sensationalising this outbreak because OH MY GOD TUBERCULOSIS.

Also, if you smoke or drink and live in LA, stop for a while. Both of these increase your TB risk factor.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ausername
Missing Canadian woman found dead in LA hotel water tank, after residents and guests report bad tasting discolored water... + outbreak of TB that may have infected thousands?

Timing is interesting.... Coincidence?

Yeah people were bathing and drinking a soup of that girls corpse.. I already thought the story and video of her before she died was strange but than I found this...

This specific form of TB is contracted by ingestion and also notorious for being passed along by from the dead to the living, in the exact area of this death in downtown LA, which is worrisome, I live there. While the news is talking about the TB outbreak, they mention the name of the TB test. The name of the TB test is letter for letter the girls name that died but first name last. LAM ELISA. TB test, which is for a particular form of TB (that can be contracted by ingesting) MIRRORS HER NAME."

I came her to see if the ATS detectives were working on this
edit on 24-2-2013 by Jay Electronica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
In our family we buy used products some times... cars, books, dvds, furniture. We draw the line at used clothing. You can get TB from buying and wearing someone else's clothing that has had it. My mother in law bought used clothing at garage sales for my kids I immediately gave them to Good will, or put them in the trash.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The hotel is in close proximity to Skid Row.

Lam, of Vancouver, British Columbia, traveled alone to Los Angeles on Jan. 26 and was last seen five days later by workers at the 600-room hotel near Skid Row.

I am starting to wonder if there might be a connection here.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight, but, the weird connection with Elisa's name and the name of the TB test, the close proximity of the locales, and the timing.. is making me wonder a bit.

Source
edit on 25-2-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay Electronica

The dots seem to connect and wake you wonder doesn't it? Cecil Hotel in Skid Row has had TB outbreaks before.

See thread on "Missing Canadian's woman's body found at LA Hotel"

Not sure how to link it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
adding an update to this thread: latimesblogs.latimes.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join