It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Food for Thought...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Fairly often, I'll read the following in a thread about healthy eating/smoking/drinking:

"My grandad has smoked 30 a day his entire life, and lived to be 90! Yet...my uncle lived a very healthy life and never smoked, and died of cancer at 60! What does that tell you eh?
"

"We all die eventually! You might get hit by a bus tomorrow..I'd rather enjoy my life and stuff my face/body full of crap!"

"Everything in moderation!"

"Oh what mean parents! Give the poor child a "treat" every once in a while! Don't deprive him! How will he fit in with his friends eating that?! He doesn't want that, he wants this!" *shoves sugar-laden chemical sh*t - storm into child's face.

It misses the point completely.

People refrain from putting crap into their bodies - not because they want to live as old as Grandma Betty, or because they want to minimise their chances of dying, but because they want to be the very best version of themselves - both physically and mentally - that they can possibly be.

Parents don't refuse to feed their children sugary, chemical crap because they're being controlling, cruel, mean, boring etc. They do it because they want their children to grow up being the very best version of themselves they can possibly be.

Which is extremely selfless, right?

If only everyone would strive to be the best person they can possibly be and encourage their children to do the same...I'd bet my left boob the world would be a much rosier place.

"You Are What You Eat"

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

Well said... I agree with you. About a year ago I switched from Wal-Mart food to more expensive, REAL organic food. At first my wife wasn't too happy with the idea, and my kids couldn't understand why they couldn't have their Fruit Loops any more. It was a tough transition for them, but now it is just normal everyday life. The other day my wife thanked me for doing it, and she now realizes the value and importance of it. I shop at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods and I feel great knowing that my three young kids eat right and aren't being filled with artificial colors, sweeteners, et al.. The artificial crap put in food is addictive and poisonous, and this is obvious to me because I have been eating clean food for a year, and when I am at a friend's house or whatever and I eat their crap food I literally feel sick from the artificial poison junk in the food because my body is no longer used to it.
edit on 22-2-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hey ! ! Good thinking, for the first 2 messages !! B-)

Another "thing" we feed with good stuff is our brains, here in this house.

When we watch TV, it is NOT insignificant programs like pre-arranged sports,
reality craps, talent craps. . .and similar low quality stupidities !!
We are not on fiction dramas neither. . .it's quite useless. . .

We watch stuff about science, nature, medicine. . .and similar up-lifting subjects. . .
. . .animals. . .space. . .and what I forget. . . B-) . . .dinos. . .exoplanets. . .

We are often on PBS, NOVA, Nature, and our Quebec french good stuff.
One Quebec program we watch is "The nature of things". . .
One french one is "Decouverte". . .etc. . .
Sooooooo you have an idea?. . . B-)
Good programs, nothing insignificant or useless !

. . .and it shows in my bookmarks, too !! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KatieVA

Sorry but, the very best version of themselves according to who? Themselves? Society?

Why don't they do this or that to their children, simple, they do what most parents do. They attempt to program their children to be miniature versions of themselves, and consciously or unconsciously, that includes their vices. Then their kids grow up to be just as superficial as them. Being anal about their health just means they have issues, deep seeded issues.

They are uncomfortable with who they are, so always strive to be "better". But better according to who? What are they trying to prove and to whom? Their Mum? Maybe Daddy didn't love them enough? Maybe their friend "has a nicer figure" so they want to be like them? Tragic.

I eat no end of crap (donuts mmmmm) and smoke like a chimney. Yet I'm perfectly healthy, and you know what, being perfectly healthy is good enough for me. Each to their own I suppose. Don't like my cigarette smoke? Piss off. Simple as that.

edit on 28-2-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
reply to post by KatieVA

Sorry but, the very best version of themselves according to who? Themselves? Society?

Why don't they do this or that to their children, simple, they do what most parents do. They attempt to program their children to be miniature versions of themselves, and consciously or unconsciously, that includes their vices. Then their kids grow up to be just as superficial as them. Being anal about their health just means they have issues, deep seeded issues.

They are uncomfortable with who they are, so always strive to be "better". But better according to who? What are they trying to prove and to whom? Their Mum? Maybe Daddy didn't love them enough? Maybe their friend "has a nicer figure" so they want to be like them? Tragic.

I eat no end of crap (donuts mmmmm) and smoke like a chimney. Yet I'm perfectly healthy, and you know what, being perfectly healthy is good enough for me. Each to their own I suppose. Don't like my cigarette smoke? Piss off. Simple as that.

edit on 28-2-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

Apologies if this was unclear. Being the best version of yourself starts with optimum physical health, which in turn leads to optimum mental health. If you're functioning at your very best mentally speaking, your thoughts are your own and aren't controlled by the crap that you eat - i.e - sugar crashes don't cause bad moods, irritability or fatigue...the nasty things that are in processed foods aren't causing anxiety issues like they were in my case. You think clearly and rationally, feel much clearer, cleaner and happier and you generally feel a billion times better. As a result, you're kinder to yourself, kinder to the people around you and life is generally much better when you're well in the mind.

It's nothing to do with conforming to what society or your family expects of you, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with anything like that.

As for you believing you're perfectly healthy - try cutting all that crap out of your life and then get back to me in a few months time. I bet my arsehole you wouldn't recognise yourself. As I've already said, the way you feel right now - that's your "norm" and you don't know any different.

join