It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No water bottles in school without a doctor's note??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PAranormal

Can you find out how lunch operates at the school. Buy, bring, free lunch, etc.

The only thing that would make sense is if the child's lunch is bought and water is not part of the regular menu and the parent doesn't want the child to take water with him/her to school.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Yeah, it was directed at one person....but you were heavily implying that the articles in question are talking about grade schoolers.
What's going on at your school still doesn't amount to a ban on water bottles, like is being discussed. Yeah, what the teacher did is stupid, but I'm sure you're exaggerating it. Kids don't' go from 8am-lunch of straight class. I'm sure the kids get a chance for a drink. The teacher probably just doesn't allow them to take out the bottles, which is far from an all out ban.

You're reading far too much into what I asked and what I reported. I'm not implying anything. I'm making statements of fact as a parent of an elementary school age child whose water bottle and water "privilege" has been impacted. I am not over exaggerating the situation within my child's classroom the year prior. If anything I omitted information. The teacher viewed water bottles as a "distraction from learning" and requests for getting a drink of water from the fountain as an "excuse to get out of class". She also did not allow kids to be excused to go to the bathroom during class. That was reserved for recess and lunch only. A few kids ended up peeing their pants. No joke. No exaggeration. And by the way, according to my child, the kids that wet their pants were not teased by their classmates--they all feared that happening because of this teacher's rules. Not all teachers are nice. That's the ultimate take away.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This is about money and contracts.

Schools generally have contract with botters like Pepsi or Coke. As part of the contract, other bottelers products are not allowed. I ran into this when working concessions at my kids high school. We had to buy the contracted brands water at the store and bring it to sell. We could have had a thousand bottles dontated, but if it were the wrong brand, no go.

School. A great place to start learning that corporate America is who really controls you and what you are allowed to do.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

Did you read the part or the title? The whole thing about no water bottles being allowed in school sounds like it has nothing to do with brands and all to do with the fact that they are not allowing water bottles in school.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by RandyBragg

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
On topic - this is utterly ridiculous. A sealed water bottle? How is a student going to get alcohol in there? Is alcohol a huge problem in public schools now, or is this just more pre-crime prevention/conditioning?

idk, when i went to school we were constantly getting plastered and the water bottle was the best way to do it.

I guess in high school it might be a problem. I actually didn't see the picture the first time I clicked the story - flippin blind. The water bottles they refer to are the the camelbak and those kind, which I can see students using to smuggle in a pint of screwdrivers.

But a doctor's note? I think it's a simple matter of the parent talking to the principal and getting permission. So many panty-wasited buck-passers these days. "That's our policy" is their favorite phrase, as though they have NO power to do anything that doesn't adhere to "policy".

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
This is about money and contracts.

Schools generally have contract with botters like Pepsi or Coke. As part of the contract, other bottelers products are not allowed. I ran into this when working concessions at my kids high school. We had to buy the contracted brands water at the store and bring it to sell. We could have had a thousand bottles dontated, but if it were the wrong brand, no go.

School. A great place to start learning that corporate America is who really controls you and what you are allowed to do.

Interesting you brought this up, it reminded me of when I was in high school, the school contracted with Pepsi so they only sold Pepsi products. A friend of mine, who liked Coca-Cola, started buying the big(24) cases of coke and sold them to other students(me included). When the school found out they said he wasn't allowed to conduct business on school property and he got suspended, for a day or something like that.

Interesting how far the corporate hand reaches.
edit on 21/2/13 by Kr0nZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The best way to get thur the banality of American public education is to be as "hammered" as possible. It's a social event anyway, not true education. I'm an exteacher btw.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The entire point of the public school system is to teach children and parents to jump through hoops and obey the arbitrary dictates of any schmuck they put in front of you. It seems like they bring in something new every other year just to make sure everyone has to make an adjustment at some point in highschool.

1995 they took away our lockers so we wouldn't keep guns or drugs in them- on a bad day that gave you 30 pounds of books to carry everywhere but it was do as you're told or else for a couple of years. One local school actually put the lockers back after Columbine. I'm not sure if they expected the students to hide in them or what.

1997 We were forced to buy and wear uniforms- some of us missed a few days school over that one. 1998 We were allowed to opt out of uniforms. 1999 most local schools cancelled their uniform programs.

2000 they declared there would be no more hall passes, anyone found in the halls would be taken to detention and counted absent, 3 absences and your grade goes down, 6 and you fail.... So over the course of any semester we were all 6 bathroom breaks from failing.

And that last great idea brings up another fringe benefit of keeping the stupid new rules coming: Some kids learn how to beat the system. Most kids learn that you do what you're told, and most parents learn that the state makes the decisions in their children's lives, but there are always exceptions.

I used to ditch Spanish class every single day and go take lunch off campus against the rules, and I passed that class against the instructor's wishes, because I found out there was a waiver for absent=fail program and then argued that I hadn't been given the opportunity to attend the class because I was told I couldn't pass no matter what after just missing a couple of days.

I was just doing what I had to do at the time, but later in college I started to realize that the "achievers" or whatever you want to call them almost never went through normal channels- they just tracked people down and asked for stuff one on one and got treated like human beings, while everybody else lined up outside an office and got treated like cattle. I quickly became fond of saying that I could make the rules almost disappear- which you really can if you get what's happening.

I think that really is the point- to violate people's rights and condition them to play their role in the system, whether that means to bend over and take it or to quietly find a way around for yourself without trying to actually change anything.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have seen similar rules, aimed at cutting down on the "wasted time" of potty breaks.

If you let them drink something, they'll only need to pee later. And once you let one of them pee, another will be jumping up every two minutes, insisting that THEY need to go to the bathroom, too.

I heard of a high school student with kidney problems being told not to take her meds because it was causing class disruption---i.e., bathroom breaks for her, and every other kid wanting their turn as well.

I remember grade school kids not being allowed to go pee, and wetting themselves, then shamed in front of the class, for acting "like a baby." Come to think of it, that kid developed a stammer after the incident...

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Yeah, I've seen things like that. The most important thing a parent can do is teach their kids to question authority, and school is the perfect place to start.

And for those parents who don't know- if you keep your kid out of class, the school will cave, because they lose money for every day that the child does not attend. Generally speaking if you call the principal and say that your child is out of class for the week due to an offense by the school and will return next week IF the problem is corrected, they will have the problem fixed in 2 days.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Yep! I had lunch with my kid one day and I was really surprised to see Smucker's Uncrustables on the menu. Talk about nutritional value!

www.smuckersuncrustables.com...

Versus the nutritional value of a real pb&j sandwich:

nutrition.about.com...

Other things I noted: Presence of a salad bar (good). Number children who were allowed to order only fries for lunch as an entree--far too high. Most of the kids were eating french fries for lunch with chocolate milk. While that's way more appealing than the nasty ole spaghetti and milk combo that I recall as a kid, it kind of makes one realize why so many kids have a weight problem these days. The drink options at lunch are only regular or chocolate milk from what I recall. No option for water or juice though I would think they would have to make some sort of modification for children allergic to dairy.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
[

well to be fair when i used to smuggle booze into high school i used Snapple bottles(full of scotch) and carried binaca(the breath spray) and i was never caught,lots of students do this and its not as smelly as alot of people would think.that or just mix it in slurpees from 7-11

i also remember one girl in my history class got caught for writing answers to a test on the inside of her water bottle label to try to cheat,and also they do make decent projectiles when half full.
edit on 21-2-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
well, i guess it's another argument in favour of armed guards in schools, pesky kids with water bottles.

land of the free and home of the brave, eh?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join