It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let ‘Em Rip: Study Finds Passengers Passing Gas Mid-Flight Healthy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
My uneducated grandma used to advice me to not hold back when I was a kid as it wasn't healthy and human body does produce gas as a byproduct (especially more in men due to the human physiology). After all these years finally the scientists/study group understood its benefits?

CHARLOTTE (CBS Charlotte) — Hopefully the TSA will now allow passengers to bring gas masks on board flights.
A new study finds that breaking wind while one is flying is healthy and recommended.
LINK

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Let's face it...farting...we all do it; and your Grandmother was right; don't hold your farts in...pass the gas.

What I found humorous too in this article is this...and I (quote):

"Despite giving the all-clear for passengers to “just let it go,” researchers warned that pilots shouldn’t let one rip while in the cockpit.

“On the one hand, if the pilot restrains a fart, all the drawbacks previously mentioned, including impaired concentration, may affect his abilities to control the plane,” researchers said in the study, according to AFP. “On the other hand, if he lets go of the fart, his co-pilot may be affected by its odor, which again reduces safety onboard the flight.” (unquote)

Pilots should not fart because farting may mess up their flying of the jet.

I say when in public and you have the urge...just pass the gas and say excuse me; and smile.

edit on 21-2-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Awesome.

And that is why my wife hates sitting in a plane - a small seat in a confined place - right beside me!

I am showing this article to her.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Agreed.. I used to Fly all the time for work.. You learn quickly to not "keep it to yourself"
the trick is, to not be blamed, is try to just let a little out at a time

Or hope there is an old sleeping man or woman nearby

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
From the oatmeal :

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy

Agreed.. I used to Fly all the time for work.. You learn quickly to not "keep it to yourself"
the trick is, to not be blamed, is try to just let a little out at a time

Or hope there is an old sleeping man or woman nearby
I do the same. Look innocent and use the silencer

edit on 21-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Wish our society was that liberal
Generally it is acceptable among men (get together, parties, public place or rest room).

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by TFCJay
Awesome.And that is why my wife hates sitting in a plane - a small seat in a confined place - right beside me!
I am showing this article to her.
If it helps sure which I doubt it

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

That is the reality
Many folks deny and reflect their false opinion but when push comes to shove, they'll let one go without a hesitation

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Thanks for giving me a good laugh!

My secret is ease it out quietly and keep that poker face!!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I can see the headlines now: "

Buildup of Dangerous Methane Gas Causes Suffocation Deaths Aboard Flight 315

".

edit on 21-2-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Make sure to play if off too!! Look around like you are looking for the stinker who let er rip.....When all along it was you and nobody is the wiser!!

Ahhhhh....I just farted while typing this.....

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think it's gross. But I think the sound is worse than the smell, most of the time.

The key to this problem I think will be new types of clothes and materials that will neutralize the sound and/or smell. Another possibility is a "Fart Pill (tm)" for airplane flights.

Most of the time I can pass gas safely without bothering anybody. So in the infrequent moments when I'm around others, I choose to hold it and sacrifice my comfort for the greater good.

I also think diet might be related. Myself, I lately have been eating a lot of oatmeal and rice and similar things. But I still pass gas. I'm not sure if eating beans makes it worse. I do occasionally eat split peas or lentils or refried beans, but I don't notice any increase in gas. However, I will mention that I think bananas DO increase gas or at least make the smell worse. I don't eat very many. I've become more of a lemon man nowadays. Lemons taste terrible, though. But good nutrition.
edit on 21-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I won't take the chance of farting on a plane...TSA might label it as an act of terror and find grounds for arrest.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
You could always use the one-cheek sneak. Unless you release the kraken - the SBD.

I always found a long day's diving would cause farts too - they're all compressed when you're down, but when you come up, it's gonna expand.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I once changed the ringtone on my wife's cell phone to "passing gas" noise. When she went to the grocery store I called her number repeatedly.

It may be something not done "in polite company" but it sure as hell is funny sometimes.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea----->“On the other hand, if he lets go of the fart, his co-pilot may be affected by its odor, which again reduces safety onboard the flight

Well we've got procedures for that

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
also to note,.
if it exits hot,... you might be in trouble

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Quick!! Somebody p.m. Rezloper

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

The Surgeon General was on Oprah. He said that a healthy person passes gas 14 times a day. Oprah exclaimed, "Boy, am I healthy!"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join