It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D Printed Body Parts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

From Discovery News:

For children born with microtia, a congenital deformity of the external ear, reconstructive surgery solutions can involve long, painful operations or prosthetics that rarely resemble the real thing. However, Cornell bioengineers and physicians have offered new hope by using 3-D printing and injectable gel molds to create an artificial ear that looks, feels and functions like a natural one.

How awesome is this? What an incredible time we live in!

I have a student in my class with microtia. He has a regular ear, but his other ear is just the lobe. He has to wear a special (and expensive) headset that connects to his regular ear, which is mostly deaf. I wear a microphone system that broadcasts my voice directly to his receiver.

I know this child probably won't be benefiting from this technology, but who knows what might happen in a few years?

Anyway, have a great Thursday, ATS!

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 21/2/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Oh wow this is interesting indeed. When I first saw the title the thing that came to mind for me was things like arms, legs, even fingers. What great leaps our medical fields seem to be making these days, what used to be science fiction.........

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I dont think it will be long before someone combines stem cell technologies with 3d printers.
We could soon print replacement body parts from our own cells.
Maybe oneday in the near future we will simply print a beef steak instead of using so many resources to raise cattle etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

A whole new term to hot off the press!!! Especially the steak.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hurry up and print me my new eye!

new topics

top topics

join