It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Sees Monster Sunspot Growing Fast, Solar Storms Possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
This could have the potential to affect communications and power systems here on Earth if it results in a Coronal Mass Ejection (CME). Its definitely something to keep a watch on, and hope no CME is created that heads here. So, if your cable signal starts pixelating this week, you know why.

...colossal sunspot on the surface of the sun is large enough to swallow six Earths whole, and could trigger solar flares this week, NASA scientists say.

Source: NASA Sees Monster Sunspot Growing Fast, Solar Storms Possible

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is all that I found.

"CHANCE OF FLARES: New sunspot AR1678 has developed a delta-class magnetic field that harbors energy for strong explosions. NOAA forecasters estimate a 45% chance of M-flares and a 15% chance of X-flares during the next 24 hours."
spaceweather.com...
edit on 20-2-2013 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
S&F Thank you.
It is very cool that we live in an era where we can transmit, share and discuss these kind of events instantly. We can prepare or enjoy these events depending on whether you are hoping for Northern Lights as I am or hiding in a bunker to avoid the doom of the world in an explosion of hellfire.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Spot 1678 will be out of sight soon, so I don't expect anything from it. Even if that spot would sneeze at this very moment, it will probably miss earth.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Yep this colossal sun spot has moved with the rotation of the sun,

and now poses no threat to earth.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I created this thread about the same thing two days ago... www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search would have pulled it up. Yours however got more attention for some reason.

Jenn

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing OP, hopefuly it's not headed our way.
A read a small article not too long ago about NASA mentioning "Solar Storms Building Toward Peak in 2013".

...as our sun's 11-year cycle of magnetic activity ramps up, scientists explained. The sun is just coming out of a lull, and scientists expect the next peak of activity in 2013. The current cycle, called Solar Cycle 24, began in 2008.

Solar storms building towards peak

I guess we will just have to wait and see

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This group will not produce any erath directed flares or CME's anytime soon.

That's because it has just turned away from earth.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

Like I said above, I made a thread about this two days ago!! www.abovetopsecret.com...

The search would have pulled it up for the OP... but... I don't think he/she paid attention to how long its been in the space news, thus would already be talked about on ATS, especially.

As far as I can tell its not earth directed anymore but still can harbor a powerful flare none the less and will be cool to see. Over the next 24 hours I will be watching, in hopes it does produce something pretty.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Please contribute to the already on-going thread on the subject:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks, thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join