It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony Unveals PS4

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
On stage at the "See the Future" event in New York, Sony has just announced its latest gaming console: the PlayStation 4. "We believe that PlayStation 4 represents a shift from thinking of a box or console," said Sony's Andrew House. "PlayStation is the best place to play." The PS4’s lead system architect Mark Cerny touts the system as being "for game creators, by game creators." The PS4 is based on a "supercharged PC architecture," with an X86 processor, enhanced PC-style GPU, and 8GB of GDDR5 unified high-speed memory. The controller is called, unsurprisingly, the DualShock 4, and features the Vita-style touchpad we'd heard about, a light bar on the back to identify players, and each PS4 will contain a 3D camera to track the various controllers using the light bar. The PS4 contains 8 CPU cores, providing almost 2 teraflops of computational performance. "Overall, our goal has been to architect the system to support a breadth of experiences," said Cerny. Ease of use was a main design consideration, and as such the PlayStation 4 will let users suspend and resume play be pressing the power button — no need to wait on lengthy boot times.

Sony's PlayStation 4 to have 'supercharged PC architecture,' X86 processor, enhanced PC GPU, 8GB unified high-speed unified memory

live.theverge.com...

www.theverge.com...

Looks cool I gonna wait fer da x box'
edit on 20-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'm glad to see such a piece of hardware made for gaming. Sounds like fun.

But I think it's taking the console vs pc war to an extreme.

I can build a pc to rival that. I can then play what games are ported (sadly that's the way things are now) from a console to the pc.

But when I'm done gaming I can start up visual studio and create things. Or I can start up office and write things.

I can use my gaming rig to be an office box.

The playstation remains a play station.

And if they will offer doodads to make the ps4 as functional as a pc... well then, call a spade a spade. It's a fancy and expensive pc..

... and if I hear another gamer on pc ingame call the chat that comes up when someone presses T, the lobby, once more.. I'll reach into the monitor and break his nose.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Personally I stay away from most (but not all) console first person shooters. Played to many rounds of Counter Strike with a keyboard/mouse, you just can't get as precise aiming from a joy-pad.
Didn't notice yet if the new consoles come with ports for keyboard mouse, doubt it.
edit on 20-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

The hardware is junk..

I haven't seen EXACT specs yet, but I'm guessing the GPU is going to be 2 generations behind.

probably a 620M from Nvidia or something like that. I do like the separate CPU for vital functions though.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Sony confirms that the PlayStation 4 won't play PlayStation 3 games

hmm that's kinda dinky. but whatever//

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
so any idea when this is out cause telling people that it won,t support ps3 games to me means people aren,t going to go out and purchase many games if they aren,t compatible to the ps4
edit on 2011 by sparky31 because: mistake

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
All I want to know is...
What's it going to cost me?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
It appears I am posting in the wrong thread, I've been talking to myself about this...similarities in the posts though haha...go figure.

Playstation 4

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

My guess is 480 to five, then down to 380-400 in a few months after release, that's justa guess tho.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Sony's PlayStation 4 to have 'supercharged PC architecture,' X86 processor, enhanced PC GPU, 8GB unified high-speed unified memory

With that much PC technology, it's probably cheaper to just buy a computer. Easier methods of obtaining games, as well.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Dollars or sterling?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Di0nysis

dollars
It's gonna be expensive!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Holy crap!! I own an x360 at the minute but to be honest I'm thinking of building a beast of a gaming rig, I'd rather pay like 1300 bucks for a PC that's future proof, just upgrade when necessary.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah, but it's got a share button!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Watching Gamestop stock continue to fall...

Not being backwards compatible will cut into used game sales. I hear that the new xBox might also not allow used games either.

If you work at Gamestop, you might be going the way of Blockbuster. My friend just worked his last shift at his Blockbuster store this week. Everything is moving to on-demand and streaming. I wouldn't be surprised if the new generation of consoles embrace this. Services like Steam are really biting into the phyiscal/hard copy game purchases.

I've also noticed people are gravitating to simpler, smartphone games. Sometimes we all just want to fling a bird at some pigs or plant some zombie-killing flowers.

I keep my original first generation Gameboy at my office. I still enjoy playing Tetris on it.
edit on 20-2-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Hooray, a new console to once again retard the growth of innovation and development.

-PC Gamer-
Consoles are the bane of gaming existence. Great for the first year..maybe 2, then after that, they completely stagnate the many fields of multimedia entertainment due to catering to outdated systems.

Until they make a -fully- upgradable console with a keyboard and mouse interface, then it will always been just a nascence to proper gamers.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Di0nysis
Holy crap!! I own an x360 at the minute but to be honest I'm thinking of building a beast of a gaming rig, I'd rather pay like 1300 bucks for a PC that's future proof, just upgrade when necessary.

You will never be disappointed going that route.
I say people that purchased skyrim on a console only got 1/4th of a game. Mods make the game forever up to date with new content..true gamers use PCs.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Hooray, a new console to once again retard the growth of innovation and development.

-PC Gamer-
Consoles are the bane of gaming existence. Great for the first year..maybe 2, then after that, they completely stagnate the many fields of multimedia entertainment due to catering to outdated systems.

Until they make a -fully- upgradable console with a keyboard and mouse interface, then it will always been just a nascence to proper gamers.

So....what your're saying about consoles can be summed up like this?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Live Link
www.stuff.tv...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Watch Dogs

Thats ATS stuff right there...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join