It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get ready for a meat shortage

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

But beans are a musical fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel! We have beans at every meal.

Sorry ATS community but I could not help myself after reading the post. I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologize for my above post.

That said, I highly doubt that by April we will be vegetarians due to the sequestration. The government understands that if we would become a nation of vegans, the ozone layer would be destroyed by all of the flatulance from the citizens and the cattle. Also, it would only mean a 20% pay cut for the civilian employees, basically one unpaid day off a week!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22

This monetary "sequester" is such BS. $85billion runs the country for less than 8 days. They can't run the country with $85billion less? Something is terribly wrong.

Ah, yes but they have to have somthing to scare the people with...
The old dog and pony show.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by fictitious

There is never a shortage of meat in my house. We find ourselves giving it away because we have too much.
Love the stars you got, but perhaps you kill more than you need if that is truly the case.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

There is never a shortage of meat in my house. We find ourselves giving it away because we have too much.
Love the stars you got, but perhaps you kill more than you need if that is truly the case.

Not the case at all. You kill one animal, and you take the whole thing home. It's not like you kill one to take home 5 pounds of meat, like you would buy in a grocery store.

You store it in the freezer, and a lot of times we get sick of eating it day after day. So we give it away. Nothing goes to waste. You obviously don't understand what a normal hunter does.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
this sucks, since i'm going to have to start selling meat and eggs to my family.

since i saw the signs and invested in livestock ahead of time *bought actual animals and raise them myself*

to those of you worried about meat shortage, buy some animals to raise for meat, *rabbits, chickens, doves even ducks or goats if you're able to*, and download some pdf's on how to raise them.

i have gigs of pdf books on how to raise all those mentioned, even though i'm waiting on the goats, and building a cistern for fish and water reserves.

don't wait for tomorrow for what you can do today.

fun fact #35:
did you know that prior to the 1820s over over70% of the population lived in farms?
in the 1850s over 60%
in the 1920s a little over 30%
in the 1980s less than 5%
and now it's about 2% if not less

so when the collapse of the dollar happens and the remaining farms are unable/unwilling to work for a worthless currency, but for their own family and community, how will you survive??

start making a small garden now prior to having spring go full blown, make/use a shed with cages inside made of wire mesh from home depot for the livestock and buy some bales of alfalfa or pellet food, and invest your money in non-perishables and items to barter with *bullets are in low supply but high demand

try to get a community garden started also if you're in the city - it could save your lives.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

try to get a community garden started also if you're in the city - it could save your lives.
reply to post by ss830

We live in a small town of about 3000, and we have had a community garden for the last few years. About 15 people/families participate, and get next to nothing out of it because it gets robbed in the middle of the night!

edit on 21-2-2013 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

I'd also like to add that your comment truly bothers me because you make it sound like the average hunter is horrible and is exploiting animals.

When I look around me, I see a gluttonous America loading their shopping carts with oreos, chips, cereals, juice boxes, bbq chicken, steaks, and beer WHILE USING THEIR FOOD STAMP CARD that comes out of their Gucci wallet. If you look down, you will see their pristine Nikes. If you follow them to their car, you see their sparkling rims and newly armor-all'ed tires. Most people THROW OUT food. I bet you do.

Yes, my family and I hunt. Yes, my immediate family raises chickens, cows, and horses. However, we never, ever exploit or take an animal illegally. Every last one has a tag and we are participating in keeping animal populations at bay and at a healthy level. Nothing is shot at unless it is to be eaten and used. Hell, I usually say a prayer and thank the animal for giving it's life to sustain mine.

We give extra meat away to people WHO NEED IT. I give it to my friends that have a hard time paying the bills because they have three kids and are in debt. I give some as a party gift instead of bringing a bottle of wine. I gave away meat parts that I prefer to not eat to a cop neighbor who struggles with keeping his house but somehow loves making stew out of tongue.

It's funny how the people who try to do things right, be a productive member of society, rise up from adversity, give to the needy BECAUSE THEY REALIZE THEY HAVE MORE THAN OTHERS, and genuinely care about being a good friend and neighbor, get caught in the crossfire of words such as yours.

When is the last time you donated food that you spent time hunting, skinning, and packaging? How about making a quilt for a family out of fabric scraps since you had extra? I'd be the first one to help provide for your family if you found yourself with a bare pantry. I recognize that I have extra, and instead of giving away money, I give something more important and cost effective. What do you do?

It's time to come together and be a community, not lash out, point fingers, and lay blame. Our judgments judge us.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
A meat shortage doesn't equal a food shortage. If it comes to it, you will not die of starvation. Geez.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Going without eating carcasses isn't really such a big deal. The meat industry falling would be bad for the job market but wise farmers will hopefully consider changing the direction of their farms. I would be pleased to see land being used in a less enviromentally destructive way.
Also with meat eaters being at least 40 percent more likely to develop cancers (depending whos research you look at) it seems high time people made changes. You wouldn't let a child smoke because of cancer and health risks so it is insane to ignore the health risks of meat consumption and feed your kid carcasses. Obviously people don't want to hear this but it is true.
On a side note; all of you silly people who are horrified at the thought of eating my little pony, well it serves you right. Animal lovers who eat meat are total hipocrites and need their heads checked XD

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
There are ranchers that'll sell you beef while it is still on the hoof.

You get a butcher, a stand-alone freezer, and you'd have meat for a year!

we just did this, bought 1/4 cow and got 56 1.5lb packages of ground beef, 28 total steaks (1" thick), and 8 roasts. Got it all for $410, about $300 for the cow ($1.98/lb) and $100 for the meat locker fees. I'm considering buying another 1/4 here as the farmer has 5 more cows ready to go and we have space in our freezer....

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Everything is a crisis. This is being played up as yet another one. They will not shutdown the inspection process. They will simply get an extra day off. This will only be a crisis if they make it one. Simply coming up with a budget that is not totally insane would rectify a lot of the problems plaguing America. If they talk about a crisis, look elsewhere for the crisis, it certainly isn't where they are pointing.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Please do not believe all this sequester nonsense that the liberals in Washington are contending. 85 billion dollars cut from a 3.5 Trillion dollar budget will not cause any kind of shutdowns in the government. This is total fear-mongering at its best. It shows how very little they actually care about trimming the fat. They can't even let go of the proverbial drop in the bucket.
edit on 22-2-2013 by Sandcastler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Thankfully my hubs is a great deer hunter and fisherman and my freezer is fully stocked

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

I'd also like to add that your comment truly bothers me because you make it sound like the average hunter is horrible and is exploiting animals.

When I look around me, I see a gluttonous America loading their shopping carts with oreos, chips, cereals, juice boxes, bbq chicken, steaks, and beer WHILE USING THEIR FOOD STAMP CARD that comes out of their Gucci wallet. If you look down, you will see their pristine Nikes. If you follow them to their car, you see their sparkling rims and newly armor-all'ed tires. Most people THROW OUT food. I bet you do.

Yes, my family and I hunt. Yes, my immediate family raises chickens, cows, and horses. However, we never, ever exploit or take an animal illegally. Every last one has a tag and we are participating in keeping animal populations at bay and at a healthy level. Nothing is shot at unless it is to be eaten and used. Hell, I usually say a prayer and thank the animal for giving it's life to sustain mine.

We give extra meat away to people WHO NEED IT. I give it to my friends that have a hard time paying the bills because they have three kids and are in debt. I give some as a party gift instead of bringing a bottle of wine. I gave away meat parts that I prefer to not eat to a cop neighbor who struggles with keeping his house but somehow loves making stew out of tongue.

It's funny how the people who try to do things right, be a productive member of society, rise up from adversity, give to the needy BECAUSE THEY REALIZE THEY HAVE MORE THAN OTHERS, and genuinely care about being a good friend and neighbor, get caught in the crossfire of words such as yours.

When is the last time you donated food that you spent time hunting, skinning, and packaging? How about making a quilt for a family out of fabric scraps since you had extra? I'd be the first one to help provide for your family if you found yourself with a bare pantry. I recognize that I have extra, and instead of giving away money, I give something more important and cost effective. What do you do?

It's time to come together and be a community, not lash out, point fingers, and lay blame. Our judgments judge us.
Wow, such a defensive reaction. All of that is in your own mind, not mine.
I suggested that you perhaps kill more than you need in response to your original comment.
I am yet to be proven incorrect. I fish regularly and do not catch anymore than I need. The responsibility of one who kills with a gun instead of a hook are no different. Your original comment appeared smug and self satisfying to me, hence my response. Good day my rough n tough hunter friend.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

That's not true of everyone, I use a food stamp card and get $110/month, that's my entire food budget as I have absolutely nothing left over after rent and utilities. I haven't been deemed worthy of a job that allows me to afford a car so there's no rims or fancy tires on my vehicle, or any vehicle at all for that matter. Instead I walk to and from the store every two or three days (there's a limitation on how many groceries I can carry and plastic bags don't hold up well for long trips). I would love to have a pair of pristine Nikes, alas I use off brand tennis shoes that are 8 years old and are held together at this point by glue.

As for throwing out food, not at all. Personally I wish rather bad things on people who do throw out food, as they clearly have enough extra that they don't know how to appreciate things.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Ew.

I have been served some dubious looking meat in the UK, pretty sure it wasn't chicken, wasn't crocodile either.

I was vegetarian for 15 years and again every now and then, I cannot stomach the thought of anything dubious or fatty / grisly etc. I know the restaurant trade for many years too and I know the smell of beef, I think horse has been on the menu under the guise of 'beef' for a long time here.

There are those that NEED a meat fix daily almost as if it was addictive, maybe it is, somehow, chemically, like carbs are, all the chemicals in animal feed has to have some effect and purpose. If it is to fatten animals fast, perhaps it remains as a residue.

I mostly keep to M&S these days, especially for meat, it's a safer option.

The thought of the ''mr jamals'' doesn't bear thinking about.....puts one off the 'global buffet' so to speak. (no pun intended).

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aazadan
As for throwing out food, not at all. Personally I wish rather bad things on people who do throw out food, as they clearly have enough extra that they don't know how to appreciate things.

Now THAT, I can appreciate fully.

Kudos and a Like for you sir.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

yeah....there's that problem, i'd suggest a fenced in area
*with barbed wire, security cameras, guard dogs, land mines, watch towers, turrets, infrared sensors, aerial drones, and a couple armed guards with rotating shifts* and thats just to keep the animals out.

but seriously, if it's animals a fence it in kinda like an aviary but w/chicken wire and a door w/a combination lock.
but if it's people see the "joke", or maybe as a group invest in a small night vision cam, and keep an eye out for trespassers. Hide the cam where only those in the group know where it's at but where it has a good view of the garden and if an intruder arrives.

I'd say "invest in a plot of land, and fence it in" but there's the bit about the money,
then there'd be contracts involved so that people will be fair.
But people get touchy when they're expected to sign a paper that may or may not question their integrity.
"pride"

Too bad we can't live in a society where one honors their word, we've lost most men *and women, don't worry i'm a firm believer of sharing the blame
* who honor their word *this is more pronounced in populated areas and with the newer generations*

since i don't know ya'll situation, i can only give this bit of advice

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ss830

yeah....there's that problem, i'd suggest a fenced in area *with barbed wire, security cameras, guard dogs, land mines, watch towers, turrets, infrared sensors, aerial drones, and a couple armed guards with rotating shifts* and thats just to keep the animals out.

Love it!

posted on Feb, 27 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Ugh. I was wishing for global seafood depletion, not shortage of glorious land-based protein goodness.
This is unacceptable!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join