It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepping Plan (Bugging In) - Any gaping holes or suggestions?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

1) Yep, it's not too difficult to make a hand pump using PVC, I've already downloaded the how to on this, but that would be a pain hauling lots and lots of buckets. I know, as we've recently had a water leak, and had to do this, and it is a pain in the ass. We need another solution (like a bike powered pump alternative, etc.) That's why solar only for the well, is a pretty attractive first step (i.e. running water, off the grid).

2) I'm just looking into this...some places I've seen no conversion is necessary for certain fuels, others differ, so trying to find out the real deal. The nice thing about diesel is that it will likely be easier to scrounge.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by lawman27

Anyone attacking you has a lot of open ground to cover against defensive fire, even if they breach the fence. Their best plan is to use vehicles so I would make a lot of caltrops and sow them liberally when you have to bunker down.

This is a valid point and vulnerability. On three sides, there are sufficient trees to nullify this line of attack, however from the main entrance direction (road and driveway sides), it wouldn't be difficult for a vehicle to breach fences.

4" diameter by 8' fence posts are about $7 a piece (likely cheaper if I can get in quantity). Perhaps sinking a line of these 4' into the ground, every 4', just a couple feet outside these fences would be a cost effective solution? Ton of work though...digging fence posts is tough and slow work (though I could always rent an auger I suppose).

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Having been raised on a self sufficiant farm (no longer in the family sad but true) I will give one piece of advice. Dig a good size pond and stock it with catfish. Where you live the water table is pretty high (usually) and catfish are hardy and reproduce at a good rate. When we had bad summers (drought) we could both use the water to keep the gardens going and eat fish till it came out our ears. Fish are one of the few food sources you can count on without extensive protection from elements and predators. You can put a solar powered pump on both the pond and your well seperate from the main system. Dont want to lose everything at once if the main panels go down!
Good luck

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

An interesting idea....we were actually talking about putting in a pond in the main pasture, just for the horses to have a more natural watering source (and negate us having to keep cleaning those tubs). I don't think I'll have enough room for one big enough for really keeping a lot of fish though...but, can't hurt to check into. Thanks for the suggestion. (and great renewable food source)

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Catfish will live anywhere. Get creative and dig a trench around the property! They use to do that for base security and drainage at Homestead AFB. Just stock it when your done. Make a great swimming hole also! LOL

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Just a thought, lots of bailing wire and stakes are good to have on hand and are still at affordable prices. Use it to either cover area around house or since you have livestock use on outer fence perimeter at likely approaches.

Drive stakes into ground randomly and wind, loop and run wire between them about six inches above ground to form trip hazards for anyone trying to run up on fencing or house. These will also tangle into undercarriage of vehicles trying to ram fence line and trip up night time attackers or infiltrators.

If you have access to backhoe, tractor or something like that when shtf dig vehicle trenches on outer perimeter where approaches are obvious and channel them into "kill zones" of your choosing.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

I do have a tractor with front bucket, etc., but I think I'd wait until a SHTF event for a trench, though I do love the trench idea. The downside to doing it now is two-fold..

1. Not exactly welcoming, and we do business here too...
2. I'll likely dig up some utility wires, which is very expensive I'd imagine.

The idea of the barbed wire and stakes is pretty good, but again, would be something to do after a real SHTF event happens. Still, would be good to have it on hand. I'd probably put it on my side of the fence though, so that any scaling the fence would then have to land in it to continue. (and at night, it'd be a surprise).

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Gazrok, yup all I mentioned is after shtf. Bailing wire is sufficient on stakes just above ground level. Save the barbed stuff for fence tops or channeling foes into fire zones.

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Awesome set-up. I don't see any flukes, but then again, I'm just a kid...

But one thing.

Why post all your preps and a map-out of your land on an international conspiracy website?

posted on Mar, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Well, without knowing the setup, hard to get honest critiques. Seriously, if someone does the due diligence to find me, and can get here (and remember this obscure thread), then I admire their tenacity to survive, and when the SHTF, I could use an extra person or so for the group....safety in numbers.

Like you said, it's an international site. The vast majority of the membership won't even be in my country, let alone my state. I understand the paranoia of not sharing your preps...but at the same time, I've learned so much from others sharing, that I think most are like me, and realize the danger in taking on an armed group during a SHTF supply run. I'd much rather check out an empty store, vs. take on an armed group for supplies.

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Well, without knowing the setup, hard to get honest critiques. Seriously, if someone does the due diligence to find me, and can get here (and remember this obscure thread), then I admire their tenacity to survive, and when the SHTF, I could use an extra person or so for the group....safety in numbers.

Like you said, it's an international site. The vast majority of the membership won't even be in my country, let alone my state. I understand the paranoia of not sharing your preps...but at the same time, I've learned so much from others sharing, that I think most are like me, and realize the danger in taking on an armed group during a SHTF supply run. I'd much rather check out an empty store, vs. take on an armed group for supplies.

Ah, okay.

I'm a bit more paranoid, because I live in the city, in a densely populated part of the country. Hopefully moving soon.

Good luck to ya

posted on Mar, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'm a bit more paranoid, because I live in the city, in a densely populated part of the country. Hopefully moving soon.

I get you. I enjoy being in a rural area. I can have land, fire off a gun without worrying about someone calling the cops, and yet I'm still close to town.

Downside is though, most decent paying jobs are in major urban centers, and my little town has nothing for me...so I have to drive an hour to work and an hour back. There's the downside. Initially, in a SHTF scenario, I'm most likely going to be in the city, and probably on a day where I don't have a lot of gas...(luckily, my truck does have reserve tanks, and I do try and put some in those now and then).

That's even if I can get out of the city by vehicle though. I have to cross one of three bridges to get home (or go WAY out of my way), so this really complicates things. Chances are, if things go south, I'm probably getting home on foot.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join