It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Forum is Dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Perhaps the forums' ghost will appear later and comfort those who miss it.

I really loved that. These forums often remind me of Rome, in a very abstracted way. So, your post made me think of the shades in dis, coming forward to comfort the living.

If that forum goes, I am going to feel rather vestigial, and I've only just begun.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If the Folklore/Urban Legends forum just gets quiet enough it'll become a legend in its own right.

"I hear there's even a forum for folklore and urban legends."

"Nuh-uh, that's just an old wives tale to scare the newcomers."

"No, it's not! I saw it!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I would contribute to this forum, but most of my tales would belong in the short stories...unless I offer up my versions of the Tain bo Cuailnge (Cooley Cattle Raid)

But again, member art and short stories forums are my best bets

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie
S & F, we need urban legends and folklore, the kind of stories that were passed down through the generations, shared around a campfire or beer keg.

Beer Keg yes!

But yes things get born, live, and then die.
There will always be the memories though!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
i had to lay off this site for awhile due to the fact everyone thinks they know every damn thing. to many ignorant people also that just want to stand out. its loosing it fire

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by pgobbs2277
But the Folk Lore & Urban Legends forum is dying!!

85% of this entire site is Folklore and Urban Legends

Brilliant

Which also means that there is no need tfor the forum in the first place

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Tain bo Cuailnge (Cooley Cattle Raid)

Please do that. Honestly, that's just the type of stuff I love. I am sure that many, just on this thread, would be happy to receive a U2U so that they could go over and support such a thread when you posted it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by pgobbs2277

There is a reason it is dying. No one wears bustels any more either. Bell bottoms have gone the way of the spat. ( a type of shoe popular in the 40's) If its not popular and no one has an interest let it go. Or post something in it of interest and relavant to the forum title and keep it going. Till then. Love and Kisses Bloody Mary. My story should be here somewhere. LOL.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Aaaaaa, I just got all interested in watching 'Star trek the next generation' on HULU. It's been ever since they had their last episode on TV that I'v seen them. Now theres 'something' you can really sink your teeth into...yepper...!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Look,

How many people are in? We could make this thread a point of contact to announce Folklore and Urban Legend threads just for the time needed to get the forum afloat again.

SquirellNutz has a dangerous idea, but I think the forums should remain separate, and those that are wanting to participate should strive to make their threads as attractive as the UFO folklore. You gotta bring the weird, folks.

I am going to get started on Gullah Magic (early American folk-magic related to particular ethnic groups), with the intention of posting on Friday.

Anyone else down for this? Writing under a deadline is fun. If six of us posted over Fri Sat we could see what happens.

P.S. I'm getting started. I'm doing Gullah, like I said, but I just got another idea for a killer folktale-thread, I hope to surprise you all with it.

Also, to anyone interested, when you think about it, this opens up a hugely broad area of research and study, including just about all indigenous art forms and the cultural narratives that they are all rooted in.

This is the #, people, a never-ending gob stopper of material, the key is in the writing. Doesn't matter how good the story is, it must be supported by good writing. We must respect our audience if we want to get them interested in this. Be sure to not create these threads in the input HTML text box. Use some kind of word document. Get all the formatting in place in the document first, using the ATS HTML box to format links and so forth. Then when you've got it how you want it, simply copy and paste it and post it. Remember, LibreOffice is free.

See you guys this weekend.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pgobbs2277

I first thought you were referring to the "2012" forum...

Perhaps everyone just decided to fact check before passing on ill conceived and half-remembered tales.

Or perhaps imagination is finally dead?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Here you go folks,

Ghost Riders in The Sky and The Legend of Stampede Mesa

I've gotten us started.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This is because all of our conspiracies, folk-lore, and urban legends are coming true! The veil is lifting; the truth is out there!

Do you think it's because people don't know it's here and just put threads into General Conspiracies? Not that I'm a big help, I didn't even know about this forum.

S+F for awareness

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

If you can isolate the alien i saw with folklore, give me some names and such. Would be amazing. As for the baby nabbing skinwalkers folklore is true. I witnessed it. Sure its cryptozoology. But it is folklore because its EMBEDDED in folklore.

If you find any unique accounts with the black dog or black panthers let me know whats up. Im doing related searches.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SquirrelNutz

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by pgobbs2277
But the Folk Lore & Urban Legends forum is dying!!

85% of this entire site is Folklore and Urban Legends

Brilliant

Which also means that there is no need tfor the forum in the first place

I thought the same thing.. like ATS "is" folklore and such... why did they have that to begin with?

Storytelling purposes? weak. They should just start in the Hoax bin then...

edit on 20-2-2013 by AnonLover because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
And another one, for your entertainment...

The Black Dog of West Peak: Harbinger of Death

posted on Apr, 30 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
i love urban legends. i plan on posting a couple local ones when post count is high enough. i only need one or two more

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
we can't let this forum die. There aren't many sites that have little less known legends, they just contain re hashes of the same stories. however on here you read stories that are only known to those in the area in which the legend is based, or old myths that were lost among others but has been passed down in families. which in them selves is a beautiful thing. the only reason i joined ATS was because i read a thread on here about the false prophet of london and wanted to add my 2cents. everyone knows what happens across the world, but little stories about an old house in a small town are being lost. said really.
edit on 13-1-2014 by dreamloss because: typeo

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I agree with the posters here who say the lack of posters, new threads and respondents, show that for whatever the reason, there is no even average-interest. Thats ok for you to want to keep it going, but the proof is in the tally of new threads, replies and visits.

No matter how bad someone may want a DeLoreon car with the gull wing doors...its just not feasable to keep making them simply because a few want them to.
(*Analogy of my own, sorry)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Proof is in the pudding. Let it die. What ATS should do is axe half the forums anyway. It has lost its way by attempting to be a place for everyone, which has resulted in a place for no one. It's no different than CNN or Fox News, where we can get the same "breaking news stories" within a few minutes of seeing them here or on Drudge.

ATS needs to focus, and focus is what it has lost. We want animal forums because animals are cute.

ENOUGH ALREADY! Concentrate on a few issues and do them well. Trying to be everything for everyone is doomed to failure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join