It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Forum is Dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

A Forum is Dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com

Breaking news just in, well, not that breaking.

But the Folk Lore & Urban Legends forum is dying!!

It has so little activity, and it should have some of the most activity on this site in my opinion.

Help bring life back to this forum once again!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Mods, I ask that you let me keep this under breaking news.

As I believe it is the most active forum and I would like people to see it.

If you hush it away to a quieter forum no one will hear the not-so-breaking news that one of our precious forums is dying!!

What with everyone's hubbub about the end of the world and gun control and the pope and stuff we're forgetting a very precious forum!!

The Urban Legends and Folk Tales Forum!!!!

There are PLENTY of new Urban Legends and Folk Tales going around and there are plenty older ones that haven't ever been posted to the Forum!!!

You can even be creative, of course, as I expect from my fellow ATS'ians, and make your own!!

Long time ATS reader I had to come on here finally to do two things.

Post my Zelda Conspiracy and Revive the Urban Legends Forum!!

I can only read those 5-7 pages so many times!!!!!

Bring back things like the mystery of John Frum, and the even more mysterious poster who posted it, (click the links in that thread to find some of the coolest animation you've ever seen)

The violence of the "Don't you wish you hadn't turned out the lights?" threads

The grotesqueness of the Mutated Mcdonalds Meat laboratories, or the lobsters growing inside the woman's.... erm....

Deer woman has not got a lot of attention lately, and I hear she is wanting to allure and stomp an unsuspecting male to death sometime again soon!!

Speaking of hooves, have you ever accidentally danced with the devil? In a ball room? With many others? this again is for you ladies. Only to find out the enticing and handsome and not to mention wonderful dancer had hooves the entire time!! This story ends with everyone running out of the ball/dance.

And who can't forget such ludicrous topics as being able to jump up in an elevator to save your life at the last millisecond the elevator is falling before impact.

While the Urban Legends & Folk Tales may be a bit too ridden with the Siberian "Sounds From Hell" Phenomenon threads, I think this story itself has yet to be FULLY debunked
At least according to ATS top notch standards. Or maybe just my own standards.

All those and so much more, and hopefully many new stories await you on the Urban Legends & Folk Tales forum.

Please, check it out ATS, check it out more frequently.

It's a wonderful and most eerie place and also my favorite forum, but has some of the least activity of the whole site. Why, just by the 4th page you already have posts created dating back to 2006.

I plead and implore you to help revive this forum!

Thanks.

www.abovetopsecret.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-2-2013 by pgobbs2277 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2013 by pgobbs2277 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by pgobbs2277

Hi Pgobbs,

Thank you for reminding everyone about this forum so heres my S+F to you.

I am still fairly new here so i will definately take some time out of the other forums to have a good read and eventually comment or add my own threads.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
All those topics sound good, but please post links to them. Thanks for caring about the forum.

My contribution to the forum was creating the urban legend that a tiny sculpture of Abe Lincoln rests under his right eyebrow in the Abe Lincoln head at Mount Rushmore (some people mix up the eye lobes, its under "his" right eye, not the right eye as you look at the photo). Here's the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-2-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by pgobbs2277
But the Folk Lore & Urban Legends forum is dying!!

85% of this entire site is Folklore and Urban Legends

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to our attention but don't you think we should be spending more time on ATS than on BTS? ATS is more important to the site anyway.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I didn't post links directly to the forum because if you click them, and then click "back" on your browser then it doesn't take you to the forum itself.

I want people to explore the forum for themselves.

And no, I don't think your standard hoax or what you deem urban legend is what I would call an urban legend.

The Urban Legends/Folk Lore, I'm talking about, typically shout "this is VERY creepy, but you know it can't be real!"

I know that sounds similar to the theme that most ATS posts entail, but not quite.

Many ATS posts, even if you don't want to admit (or maybe you're better at this than me), yes indeed do scream NOT real, or probably not real, however...

However they typically require just a little backing and replies for the reader until they know "for sure" it isn't real.

As opposed with many of the topics on the Urban Legend & Folk Lore section, it's more so outlandish that it's obviously just for sheer thrills and fun.

Yes, this does interchange, as some Urban Legend & Folk Tale stories on there do seem to have a bit of a real, and need to research quality to them. And some primary ATS threads even scream not real, and too silly to be true.

But overall, I think that's the difference.

Hope that clears that up for you.

In other words main ATS posts at least tend to believe themselves they are real.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

hey lemme alone! Lol.

Sorry I didn't inform you that the Pope turned into a fireball or that South Korea has just been annihilated by N. Korea.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by diqiushiwojia

I think both. I think time should be taken to lighten up from the more serious and less skeptical main ATS topics.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Let it die. This forum has to many categories as it is, with many going days, weeks, or even months at a time without a post being made to it. Several of the sections could easily fall under the same topic.

We've got a Hurricane Katrina section, a Fukushima section, and a disasters section. Those three should all be combined together.

The 8 different political sections need to be combined under one heading. The Grey Area and Skunk works are basically the same. An argument could be made that the Area 51 section could fall under the military projects heading.

My main concern with this is keeping new blood coming in. A bunch of sections sitting with with hardly any posts being made to the makes it seem like the board is dying, and it may make newbies look for a different place. I've seen it happen to other large boards, and don't want it to happen to ATS.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
ahhh the circle of life at work on ATS ....
Forums are born .. they thrive ... they weaken .. they die.
It's okay .. it's the way of nature and the way of internet forums.
Perhaps the forums' ghost will appear later and comfort those who miss it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I tried to find the John Frum thread by going to search, and got nothing. Literally nothing, a big blank screen under something about Samuri being powered by liquid nitrogen. I might put the link to the old search engine in my signature so I can always find it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
S & F, we need urban legends and folklore, the kind of stories that were passed down through the generations, shared around a campfire or beer keg.

However the campfire has been replaced by a PC, so these stories don't have the same effect as an oral presentation, that was the beauty of these tales.

Speaking of urban legends, I was told that if you utter the word 'apple' into a mirror three times, the words 'I agree to the user license agreement' will appear.

Sorry to make light on the subject, but i couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
If people were interested, there would be more activity. There's only so much you can get out of that forum compared to say music or chit chat.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by pgobbs2277

i lived folklore lol. Was interesting. But im planning on digging up mad research on the topic of skin walkers and such even tho my attempts at nailing down if this was exactly a skinwalker or some other species we just don't know. But il be looking up some weird stuff so if you wan to know what im looking at il post. I stumble on lots of weird things and i actually havin't really posted to much of it because i assume its already on ATS haha this place is full of brilliant people you know?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Ok here is my contribution:

-Mikey, the Life cereal kid died from eating Pop Rocks with Coke

- Bubble Yum chewing gum has spider eggs in it.

- There is at least one Chinese restaurant in every neighborhood that has been shut down because the Health Dept. found frozen cats in the walk in freezer.

- If you look in a mirror on Holloween and say the Lord's Prayer backwards, the devil will appear.

Anyone have any to add?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
A couple more forums that can be put to sleep:

1. SETI @ Home
    Why: SETI has been cancelled. Orig from 1999 / Link2 / Link3
  2. 2012
    So last year

Maybe not erase them... but mothball them in a 'Archived Forums' group, or something.

Another forum they can move is the 911 forum.....Oh ya, that one is already moved (to ???).

ETA: Correction... The 911 Conspiracy forum must have just taken a walk around the block. Because now it's back by popular demand.

edit on 20/2/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I'm gonna go post there.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
No,

You shouldn't close it.

I would be happy to write up threads on Folk tales and Urban Legends, but I don't know if people would be interested.

This is the very stuff that I came to ATS, in this incarnation, to write about. And, I'm not here to chat, really, but to practice my writing chops.

So, tell me, folks? How high is your interest in re-visiting American folklore? Gullah magic, witch-stories, The Federal Writer's Project, or even 'The Legend of Boggey Creek?

I'll do it, and I am sure there are others as well, that are into this stuff.

If it is possible for the staff to do so, please let us know, I don't want to start in on this if there is no forum for it, and I would hate to stick the stuff in General Chit Chat.

If you wanna keep the forum open I will start on Gullah Magic and Boggey Creek, or some other one.

Others will have to choose subjects too, and we should institute a deadline, like this Friday and Saturday. For instance someone could get to work on the doberman-finger-eating-legend, or the history of the 'monkey-paw' campfire story.

What do you all think?

P.S. For those looking for material, I suggest mining the # out of the Federal Writer's Project.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Bybyots because:

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join