It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Police Officers May be Charged with Homicide in Suffocation of 26 yr Old Mentally Challenged Man

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   

The death of a man with Down syndrome who was reportedly killed after lying face-down in police custody has been ruled a homicide.

WJLA reports that Robert Saylor, 26, of New Market, Md., was asphyxiated on Jan. 12, according to a medical examiner's ruling late last week.

Police were reportedly called to a Frederick movie theater by employees who couldn't get Saylor to leave. He had come to the theater with a health aide, paid admission for "Zero Dark Thirty," but allegedly remained after it was over.

Frederick County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Jennifer Bailey said the case is still under investigation and that the three officers involved in Saylor's death -- Lt. Scott Jewell, Sgt. Rich Rochford and Deputy First Class James Harris -- "continue to work their normal assignments," according to the Post.

Police Suffocate man with Down's Syndrome

I don't even know where to start with this other than WTF'ing Holy Hell!!??! Can anyone explain how they still even have a job, nevermind the fact that they continue to work thier normal assignments??

With every day that slips by, I see more and more downright disgusting things with our country and wonder if maybe it is time for alot of shaking up to be done? What the hell is wrong with us as a nation? I can't believe we have slipped so far!!

Are Police Dept.'s like in competition to see who can be guilty of the most misconduct? I mean this almost tops the LAPD shooting up innocent civilian's vehicles in the manhunt for Dorner!

Edit: Added video of a local newscast

edit on 19-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: title edit

edit on 19-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: title length again

edit on 19-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: added video

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Huh...them cops, they think they are always above the law, I think they are the worst criminals walking the streets, accept for a few good ones.

Makes one wonder why citizens are going all rambo on them???

If there is any place suitable for this rogue police officers, is behind bars in seclusion.

edit on 19-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This is disgusting. More and more of these stories about police brutality are popping up.
I thought the police were meant to protect and serve, not harm and abuse. If this was anybody other then police they'd be surely sitting in a cell right now.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tumble
This is disgusting. More and more of these stories about police brutality are popping up.
I thought the police were meant to protect and serve, not harm and abuse. If this was anybody other then police they'd be surely sitting in a cell right now.

I know right!? You mean to tell me they didn't know he had Down's Syndrome? Not to be politically incorrect, but usually you can tell by looking at someone if they are mentally challenged or not.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

They "rogue police" to me, have lost the plot...it seems to me matters are taken too personal by cops these days.

What can be the cause of this "low wages"???

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

They probably did. Just didn't care about it. It's so horrible to imagine. All because he wouldn't leave a cinema.
edit on 19/2/13 by Tumble because: (no reason given)

edit on 19/2/13 by Tumble because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkphoenix77

Originally posted by Tumble

I know right!? You mean to tell me they didn't know he had Down's Syndrome? Not to be politically incorrect, but usually you can tell by looking at someone if they are mentally challenged or not.

I agree..... they have a distinct characteristic that one can tell that they have DS

Why did staying past when the movie ended result in police custody any way?

Wonder how the employee who called the police feels now?
Was it worth it to lose a life because a movie goer didn't want to leave?
I would be guilt ridden for life if that had been me.......

My prayers are with the family.......
--------------
ETA: Damn police...........

edit on 19-2-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012

They "rogue police" to me, have lost the plot...it seems to me matters are taken too personal by cops these days.

What can be the cause of this "low wages"???

Police especially deputy's get paid fairly well, so I do not think low wages are the reason. I think it is a mix of power trip and a desensitization of violence that causes more cases of police misconduct in the US. I know personally I am sick to my stomach at stories like this and am sick of hearing about these kinds of cases. Something drastic needs to happen because these stories happen way too often and are brushed under the rug far too easily.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What the hell? I've gone to movies to kill some time and stayed to watch it twice--sometimes twice-and-a-half, and no one called police to murder me. However, now that I know it's an offense that calls for summary execution, I don't think I'll try it again.

Maybe this is the new normal. Like when someone calls 911 and reports that their 24-year-old son is off his meds and doing scary things, and the police come and shoot him dead on sight. Maybe they have secret orders to "thin the herd"?
edit on 2/19/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
What the hell? I've gone to movies to kill some time and stayed to watch it twice--sometimes twice-and-a-half, and no one called police to murder me. However, now that I know it's an offense that calls for summary execution, I don't think I'll try it again.

Maybe this is the new normal. Like when someone calls 911 and reports that their 24-year-old son is off his meds and doing scary things, and the police come and shoot him dead on sight. Maybe they have secret orders to "thin the herd"?

Probably safer not staying for a double feature anymore as much as it pains me to say it.

I hope it is not "the new normal", that is a scary proposition. I'm still at a loss as to how they have not been suspended without pay until after the investigation is completed.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

There need's to be civiilian review boards and the police internal affairs investigation unit's should be disbanded.

There should also be a removal of most immunity (especially civil) for Police .If they know it might come out of their own pocket ,and not only the city's or state's.They might actually think before they abuse their powers.
edit on 19-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

There need's to be civiilian review boards and the police internal affairs investigation unit's should be disbanded.

There should also be a removal of most immunity (especially civil) for Police .If they know it might come out of their own pocket ,and not only the city's or state's.They might actually think before they abuse their powers.

I am in full agreement here internal affairs is a badly scripted joke!

Just added a video to the original post for those interested.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

You're right. This reminds me of Dorner's manifesto. He complains that the officer he reported for Use of Force had a "lengthy use of force record" and had been "flagged several times by risk management" for it. Risk management meaning that it left the Department open to lawsuits and settlements--not the cop. And their response, obviously, was to get rid of the whistleblower instead of the problem cop. It leaves me scratching my head. What the #### is the matter with these people?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I just read about this earlier today on a page called "awaken the mind" through Facebook...what is wrong with the world. I don't see how an eleven dollar movie ticket is worth the mental health and stability of someone with such an illness. And why would it be necessary to attempt to arrest the man for not wanting to leave the movie theater when he clearly doesn't have the same state of mind as others...Apparently he was wrestled to the ground by the three officers and put into handcuffs when he asphyxiated... more and more officers are making impractical and immoral decisions when they can me easily avoidable. The following is what the man with Down Syndrome's mother had to say:

"On January 14, 2013, a young man with Down Syndrome went with his companion to see Zero Dark Thirty at the Regal Cinema in Frederick, MD. At the end of the movie, apparently because he wanted to see it again, he refused to get out of his seat. A Regal employee, rather than allowing him to stay and dealing with the situation later with his parents and the companion, called not one, not two, but three off duty Frederick County police officers who were working security for the theater at the time.

According to published reports, when the officers/ security guards asked him to leave, he mouthed off at them and "resisted arrest". Those of you who know my son Landon can visualize what this would look like. In response, the officers wrestled him to the ground where he asphyxiated in handcuffs. The handcuffs were removed and EMS called and according to the police news release he later died at hospital. I don't know how that reconciles with the coroner's finding of asphyxiation which I thought was pretty immediate.

The price of a ticket at the cinema is between $9 and $11. The additional cost to Regal of allowing him to watch the movie again was ZERO. But instead a beloved young man died on the floor of a movie theater in his neighborhood at the hands of people he was taught would protect him.

The police officers remain on duty and were allowed to invoke their rights as police officers not to provide statements even though they were not on duty or performing official duties at the time. They were security guards in police uniforms.

The county police are investigating and the story has received local news coverage. Please share this everywhere both to ensure justice but also to raise public awareness.

ELEVEN DOLLARS

Where is our humanity when a young, obviously disabled young man dies for the price of a movie ticket. My son is worth a lot more to me and society than eleven dollars."

www.facebook.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Three police officers held him down as he resisted.

He was resisting because he was unable to BREATH !

"The 2010 FBI Crime Statistics show you are more likely to be sexually assaulted, murdered, or physically assaulted by a police officer than you are a member of the General Population."

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Holy MOLEY!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
reply to post by Murgatroid

Holy MOLEY!!

That sum's up my reaction to that as well.

How can anyone wonder why faith in law enforcement seems to be at an all time low with that kind of statement direct from the FBI?

edit on 19-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Ya positional asphyxia is real #....we have always been trained to put them on their side after they are cuffed to ease with breathing. It has been a pretty big deal by us. I'm not sure how their department trained them or if it was bad luck. Charging homicide is a bit far unless there is more to the story (assuming it was neglect more than an intention to kill him) but either way they might be found at fault in civil court. Sad story...my gut tells me these guys just didn't have the training or the guy had severe health issues.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer

Ya positional asphyxia is real #....we have always been trained to put them on their side after they are cuffed to ease with breathing. It has been a pretty big deal by us. I'm not sure how their department trained them or if it was bad luck. Charging homicide is a bit far unless there is more to the story (assuming it was neglect more than an intention to kill him) but either way they might be found at fault in civil court. Sad story...my gut tells me these guys just didn't have the training or the guy had severe health issues.

I don't have any inside info tbh, alot of the comments on the news page seems to be people thinking the worst. I think there is no question at the very least that it was neglect if not intentional. First, he is mentally disabled, secondly if you look at his picture it is quite easy to tell that he is pretty obese on top of that. Common sense should dictate that a better route to go may have been persuasion over brute force. Thirdly, the police should not have been involved in the first place, it would have been more logical to either allow him to stay without cost or have his PCA call his legal guardian to talk to him or pay for the next showing.

I know you are a police officer, and I respect that, but part of me can't help but wonder what kind of treatment I would get if ever I was arrested for something. I have muscular dystrophy and I would not be able to get up off the ground if ordered down on to it even without handcuffs being placed on me.

I know police like such are few and far between, but it seems to be happening alot more and more lately.

edit on 19-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: addendum

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer

I have a couple of questions, now that we have a cop on-scene, if I may turn a phrase.

First, most ordinary civilians are perfectly aware that DS sufferers do not perceive the world as most of us do. Why would the go-to response of the police be to escalate the situation rather than try to defuse it? Do they absolutely not know what nearly every other person in every walk of life knows about Down Syndrome sufferers? It should also be obvious that the guy was more than a little obese. Would not common sense tell you that he would need to have his breathing eased instead of restricted?

Let me add one more thought and get your insight on it. Some months ago there was a thread here on ATS expressing concern that much of the police use of force and extreme reactions were possibly due to 'roid rage. I've seen a lot of cops--and it's fairly obvious in some of the deadly-force videos--who are built like ... well, baseball players. To your knowledge or in your estimation, does steroid abuse seem like a possibility or even a probability?

What are your thoughts?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join