It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighter Jets Over Portland, OR

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
First off, sorry, but someone is going to have to explain how to upload pics. It's different than before and I just spent 30 minutes trying to get photobucket to work, but that's just crapping out on me too. Anyway...

I just moved to Portland a few months ago so I'm not sure if this is uncommon or not, but while out walking with my girlfriend I saw a lone fighter jet (looked like an F-14/F-15 (twin tails and triangle shape)) hauling arse overhead. "odd" I thought, the, a few minutes later, 2 more, this time in formation, so I took a pic. Then, a lone, low flying cargo jet perhaps? I took a pic...a few minutes pass, 2 MORE fighter jets...I got a pic...then ANOTHER lone fighter. There was also a white high altitude triangle jet (not a commercial airliner) making contrails and another low flying jet with an engine on each wing. This jet made at least 2 passes. It was white and looked like it had some blue on it. I got a pic of that too. The pics aren't that great, but as an ATS user I know to at least get SOMETHING. Anyway, perhaps there were some Air Force or NAVY exercises scheduled today? I dunno? Any thoughts? Also, again, how do I upload pics now? Thanks.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I actually saw them too, for a moment I thought one of them might collide with a smaller place that was flying perpendicular to the 3 fighter's path.

that said, its not all that uncommon for them to fly over these days. Its interesting...I grew up here, and it was kind of a big deal for my brother and I whenever they would fly over. It didnt happen all that often.

nowadays, its probably once a month around here.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Oh, cool. I'm a bit of an airplane enthusiast. I'm actually wearing a B-25 Mitchell "Doolittle Raiders" T shirt I got at the OshKosh airshow last year. That's neat to see fighters out of the blue like that. It used to be I'd only ever see one or two, and only at an airshow. Portland just keeps getting cooler. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
There's a squadron of F-15's based in Portland. Air Force National Guard.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MakeSoap
Oh, cool. I'm a bit of an airplane enthusiast. I'm actually wearing a B-25 Mitchell "Doolittle Raiders" T shirt I got at the OshKosh airshow last year. That's neat to see fighters out of the blue like that. It used to be I'd only ever see one or two, and only at an airshow. Portland just keeps getting cooler. Thanks!

Not a prob, welcome to Portland!

Keep your eyes and ears open, you will definitely see more. Its not uncommon to see 'black helicopters" (for lack of a better term) out here either.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If you could upload your photos that would be great.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I like the read so far...This isn't the same thing, but neat. I see alot of fighter jets where I live, Grissom AFB does excercises over where I live.

When we were on our boat, 2 jets weren't flying much higher than maybe 800 ft above tree top, my ears hurt for a few, kinda neat to feel it though.

Some times when it is cloudy, you can hear it, but can't see it.

Saw something that was like an Osprey, but they weren't that loud, and they weren't flying much higher.

It's neat when the pilots can see you, cuz, me and a few people were waving....of course, and they did some tricks.

Wouldn't want to be in the passenger seat in one of those though!!!!! But it would be real neat....just one time!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Not f-14's, they are all gone now!
Possibly f-15/f-18/f-22/Mig-29/Su-30 whatever. Anyway, sounds like fun just watching them work out!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MakeSoap

It must be that nefarious Oregon Air National Guard out of PDX again.

They like to fly their aircraft around on occasion.

I renewed my CAC card there a few years ago while visiting family.
edit on 20-2-2013 by bg_socalif because: fat fingers on the keyboard

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It's completely normal.

I think there's an air force base nearby.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CarbonBase
Not f-14's, they are all gone now!
Possibly f-15/f-18/f-22/Mig-29/Su-30 whatever. Anyway, sounds like fun just watching them work out!

I personally thought they were f-15's or f-18's, but Im no expert by any means.

There is one air national guard bases relatively close at the portland airport, and one a ways away in klamath falls. These ones were not headed in the direction of either of those places, not that that means anything.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
They are F15's based out of PDX. PDX is one of the two remaining west coast CAP bases. Fresno is the other. Aircraft are continuously on patrol out over the pacific; CAP. With the Russians recently buzzing Guam and having stepped up their penetration efforts into Alaska, expect to see more of this in the future. However, that said, take a look around and see how many of the summer airshows that are being cancelled already due to budget limitations. The number and the fact a cargo plane (C-130?) was involved means it may have been an equipment reposition. I used to fly a helicopter over in Portland, fun city.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   

The ANG out of PDX flies up to Alaska and back on patrol almost daily. You get used to it.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I lived there for a bit and found this out the hard way.

They actuall allow you to drive on the beach up there, at least when I lived there, so head to astoria and drive towards the mouth of the columbia river. You will meet a couple of very hardcore military personel.

Been awhile so my location may be off a bit but it was definitely a day I will remember. Nothing like cruising on the sand next to the waves, drinking a corona, and finding a couple of m-16's pointed at your head.

top topics

join