It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff: Man Who Died In Fire May Have Spontaneously Combusted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
It's intriguing to me that a sheriff would be so quick to come to the conclusion that a man spontaneously combusted. I remember as a teenager reading books in our school library about the phenomenon. There seems to be a few hundred case a year, but I'm still not sure I buy it. What say you?

KFSM reports

Sequoyah County authorities say a man who died in a fire at his home may have spontaneously combusted.

Danny Vanzandt, 66, died in the blaze on Monday.

Sequoyah County Sheriff Ron Lockhart says several neighbors entered the home when they saw smoke and assumed trash had caught fire. Then they realized a person was burning.

Lockhart said the remains were in the kitchen and there was no other damage in the home. The sheriff says there was no apparent source of the fire.

“This is a case that I’ve never seen before,” Lockhart told KFSM-TV.

Authorities say the man had a history of heavy drinking and smoking.

No cause of the fire has been determined and Lockhart says spontaneous combustion has not been ruled out.

“I think there’s only about 200 cases worldwide, and I’m not saying this happened. I’m just saying that we haven’t ruled it out,” Lockhart told KFSM.

The body was sent to the state Medical Examiner’s Office in Tulsa for an autopsy.
ex]

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
probably he was a vampire and forgot to close the shades in the kitchen before the sun came up

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Haha. It could happen.

I'm thinking if he is a heavy drinker, he passed out at the table and his lit cigarette ignited the whiskey he spilled on his clothes.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hasn't SHC long been debunked as being an urban myth ?

I remeber some TV series where they would take a pig cadaver and stick cotton onto it and light it and the fat and cotton would function like a candle and burn it all up.

Always found this topic to be rather interesting, especially because of the numerous reports from the 60ies and 70ies.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtrenthacker
It's intriguing to me that a sheriff would be so quick to come to the conclusion that a man spontaneously combusted. I remember as a teenager reading books in our school library about the phenomenon. There seems to be a few hundred case a year, but I'm still not sure I buy it. What say you?
It seems to be an observed phenomenon. My former bro-in-law figured it was the severest form of instant kharma...a true act of devine retribution.

Beats me, though. I toss it in to my thus-far unexplained Unified Weirdness Theory and blame it on quantum physics.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here are some of the 'natural' explanations I have found which seem plausible. It seems that at least one or more of the scenarios below could have contributed to this man 'spontaneously combusting'.

Almost all cases of SHC involve persons with low mobility, due to advanced age or obesity, along with poor health. Victims show a high likelihood of dying in their sleep, or of being unable to move once they had caught fire. (Skeptoid.com)

Cigarettes are often seen as the source of fire, as dropped cigarettes are the leading cause of house fires in the USA.Natural causes such as heart attacks may lead to the victim dying, subsequently dropping the cigarette, which after a period of smouldering can ignite the victim’s clothes. (SkepticalEnquirer.com)

The “wick effect” hypothesis suggests that a small external flame source, such as a burning cigarette, chars the clothing of the victim at a location, splitting the skin and releasing subcutaneous fat, which is in turn absorbed into the burned clothing, acting as a wick. This combustion can continue for as long as the fuel is available. This hypothesis has been successfully tested with animal tissue (pig) and is consistent with evidence recovered from cases of human combustion. The human body typically has enough stored energy in fat and other chemical stores to fully combust the body; even lean people have several pounds of fat in their tissues. This fat, once heated by the burning clothing, wicks into the clothing much as candle wax (which typically was originally made of animal fat) wicks into a lit candle wick to provide the fuel needed to keep the wick burning. (Howstuffworks.com)

Scalding can cause burn-like injuries, including death, without setting fire to clothing. Although not applicable in cases where the body is charred and burnt, this has been suggested as a cause in at least one claimed SHC-like event.

Brian J. Ford has convincingly shown that ketosis, possibly caused by alcoholism or low-carb dieting, produces acetone, which is highly flammable and could therefore lead to apparently spontaneous combustion.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Haha. It could happen.

No it couldn't.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I live in Sequoyah County and we actually had a church member call my hubby(who is the pastor) last night about this man passing. We weren't told anything about SHC.

I will see what else I can find out about all this and share what I can.

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Here are some of the 'natural' explanations I have found which seem plausible. It seems that at least one or more of the scenarios below could have contributed to this man 'spontaneously combusting'.
Ahhh...I prefer 'Wrath of God '(or Gods). When science fails you...embrace the weird! (but don't quote me on that, eh?)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

.This hypothesis has been successfully tested with animal tissue (pig) .

Not on any live pig, and not on any live human. Not possible.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Great now I'm waiting for the LEO'S to use this as the explaination for the death of Dorner.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is taken from a report by one of our local news stations.

Asked if he was serious that this might be a case of spontaneous human combustion, the sheriff said he is serious, adding no items or furniture around the body were burned. There was no other fire damage to the house and no signs of a struggle, Lockhart said. “I think there’s only about 200 cases worldwide, and I’m not saying this happened. I’m just saying that we haven’t ruled it out,” Lockhart said.

Family members said they noticed the back window of the man’s pickup truck was busted out.

Further down in the comment section a cousin of his added this

Dorinda Vanzandt 7 hours ago
All I have to say is believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see. I am a cousin and there is more to this story.

Sherriff: Spontaneous Human Combustion

All I know is that as of yesterday, there was none of this talk of SHC. With the back window of the truck busted out, I would reckon that there is much more to the story and it probably isn't as mysterious as spontaneous combustion.

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

I'm wondering if the guy was wanted by the LAPD.

Hmmm spontaneous combustion...
Nothing says, "hell I dunno". Like a diagnosis of spontaneous combustion.
You sure this guy was not wanted by the LAPD?

new topics

top topics

join