It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medieval Spanish ghost town becomes self-sufficient ecovillage

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Hi guys.
I thought some of you would be interested to hear about a group of people who accidently stumbled upon village ruins when they were looking for their lost animals, this was 30 years ago.
They rebuilt the village/town and are now 100% self-sufficient. I recommend watching the video, which tells their wonderful story and takes a brief tour of the little town

www.trueactivist.com...

There are now a few dozen “ecoaldeas” – ecovillages – in Spain, most build from the ashes of former Medieval towns. One of the first towns to be rediscovered was a tiny hamlet in the mountains of northern Navarra.

Lakabe was rediscovered in 1980 by a group of people living nearby who had lost their goats and “when they found their goats, they found Lakabe”, explains Mauge Cañada, one of the early pioneers in the repopulation of the town.

The new inhabitants were all urbanites with no knowledge of country life so no one expected them to stay long. When they first began to rebuild, there was no road up to the town so horses were used to carry construction materials up the mountain. There was no electricity either so they lived with candles and oil lamps.

Today, the town generates all its own energy with the windmill, solar panels and a water turbine. It also has a wait list of people who’d like to move in, but Mauge says the answer is not for people to join what they have created, but to try to emulate them somewhere else.

www.youtube.com...
What a wonderful way to live

edit on 19-2-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
this looks cool. I will check this out when I get back from work. thanks op.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I will watch the vid when I get home tonight as well, sounds quite interesting. I didn't even see it yet and I want to move in too!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
This is unacceptable, why are they avoiding taxes and not paying for my super yacht(s).

I shall alert my friends in high places.

They will instruct the military to immediately carpet bomb the area.

They will instruct the media to issue a statement that the people are now safe from a terrorist cell who was planning destruction upon banks children in schools.

/sarcasm

God, I wish I had the Kahoonas to make the leap for me, the missus and kids to live in a community like this.

Awesome stuff...........S&F

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The video is only about 13 minutes long, but really well worth a look.

These people started out with nothing but their bare hands and no self-sufficiency skills. And the little town they have rebuilt looks like it is out of a history book and is charming, and the way of life they have created for themselves means they can survive without any outside help whatsoever. They have everything they need. Fantastic.

I never knew about these rebuilt medieval towns. The lady in the video tells of how these towns came to be deserted. abandoned, and left to ruin by the people who once resided there.

Watch the video and listen to their story - their example is an inspiration of what just one generation can achieve!
edit on 19-2-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
S&F sir, S&F! And a big thank you....got me thinking outside the box....even here in the UK.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Here's the video guys (I've been practising embedding and finally managed it)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
...and those will be the survivors, and the fittest of all.
S/F! Brilliant.

There are scores of this type of community in both active and planning stages. I think it's fabulous!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Now....could you supply us with the rest of the 'documentary' please?

I have hunted high and low and can't find part deux!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Any type of lifestyle is easy to maintain in small numbers but once their population grows you will see changes and a separation in thier society and the formation of classes.

Its inevitable as societies grow.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I live in spain and I can tell you first hand that there are quite a few of these communities popping up. There are so many abandoned and almost abandoned villages around where I live that this type of thing is quite easy. One quite close to me has 7 inhabitants and is only accessible by foot. If you ever get the chance to visit spain, forget the tourist traps...grab a car and head into the mountains....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
reply to post by doobydoll

Now....could you supply us with the rest of the 'documentary' please?

I have hunted high and low and can't find part deux!

Rainbows
Jane

I didn't know there was a part 2, but had a look after I read your post and I can't find a part 2 either

new topics

top topics

join