It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet ISON And The Star of Bethlehem: A Coincidence???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Do you not find this rather intriguing at the least?

Not really. There have been many "once in a lifetime" commets that have come and gone, none of which have anything to do with any date. The "star of Bethlehem" only appears in the gospel of Matt.
ISON will actually be on the way out by December 25th, not the brightest.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Awen24
- the star appeared in the East (so, obviously, the Magi were in the West - actually, they were in Babylon, to be specific. There are reasons why I believe this, I won't go into that now though - suffice to say that it ties in with the book of Daniel, the book of Numbers (the story of Baalam) and the book of Micah).

- the star led the Magi EAST, until they arrived in Jerusalem (Matthew 2:1)...

I don't believe ISON has anything to do with Christ, but I did want to point out that Babylon was east of Jerusalem, so the Magi would have had to travel west to get from Babylon to Jerusalem.

To the west of Israel is the Mediterranean Sea.

edit on 18-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

I came all the way back out of bed to post the video you posted, only to find I was elbowed and sent fly'n off my milk can.

That is an awesome video OP. Good job Al.

SnF

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Do you not find this rather intriguing at the least?

Not really. There have been many "once in a lifetime" commets that have come and gone, none of which have anything to do with any date

Ironically, it's being labelled the "comet of the century", that's a once in life time would you say.

. The "star of Bethlehem" only appears in the gospel of Matt.
ISON will actually be on the way out by December 25th, not the brightest.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

I fail to see your point with this, perhaps you can elaborate further.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Welcome randyvs, good to see you around...

How is the bunker going???
. Thanks for dropping by.

Peace
edit on 18-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I guess you saw that huh?
OMG ! My wife was P.O.ed. She came home without my beer and everything. Luckily with some help from the boy I had it all back to normal by the time she did get home. Kid charged me five bucks. I should of just told her a meteor hit that backyard. But I can't lie to her she'll really think I'm loose..

edit on 18-2-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Hahaha that is aweson man!!!...

How I wish I had bunker myself, you never know...

Peace
edit on 18-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

I fail to see your point with this, perhaps you can elaborate further.

Thanks

Its okay, I don't expect you to remember everything you make up. Earlier in the thread you said this.

Intriguingly, the closest approach of comet ISON to earth,"the comet of the century",will be at it's brightest during it's passing on the period of December 25th-26th of this year, 2013, approx. 2000 years after the star of Bethlehem.

I was pointing out that it will actually be farther away on December 25th-26th than it will be in November.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I thought is was common knowledge the star was actually a UFO.

But maybe I am thinking of another star.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Intriguingly, the closest approach of comet ISON to earth,"the comet of the century",will be at it's brightest during it's passing on the period of December 25th-26th of this year, 2013, approx. 2000 years after the star of Bethlehem.

I was pointing out that it will actually be farther away on December 25th-26th than it will be in November.

If you had checked the distance of comet in relation to earth, from the periods of Nov and Dec, you will have found that the comet is much closer to earth in December then it is any other time in November of this year.

November, 2013

December, 2013

Peace
edit on 19-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   
From what I have read he was born around March or September and it is believed that the star was actually Jupitor. Astrology actually plays a part in this. The Planets would have been in alignment, with Jupiter the most prominent and gifts would have been given to any boy born in that year. This is a topic that has been studied by biblical scholars for decades.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

- the star appeared in the East (so, obviously, the Magi were in the West - actually, they were in Babylon, to be specific. There are reasons why I believe this, I won't go into that now though - suffice to say that it ties in with the book of Daniel, the book of Numbers (the story of Baalam) and the book of Micah).

I don't believe ISON has anything to do with Christ, but I did want to point out that Babylon was east of Jerusalem, so the Magi would have had to travel west to get from Babylon to Jerusalem.

To the west of Israel is the Mediterranean Sea.

edit on 18-2-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

I'd just like to point out that this in no way changes the point of my statement...
and only serves to highlight the fact that I am indeed retarded.

The star was in the WEST... the Magi in the East.

Now, in regards to the OP's contention that "the details of the Bible have been changed repeatedly over the centuries" etc.

...this statement doesn't stack up to the evidence. The oldest known fragments of the book of Matthew (from which the story of the Star and the Magi is taken) include... wait for it...

Matthew 2. Matthew 2 contains the very story we're discussing, and the details are... wait for it again... unchanged.

In fact, the commonly parroted line that "the bible has changed over the centuries" doesn't stack up either - for the simple fact that translations of the text are (the majority of the time) carried out NOT on the basis of OTHER translations, but upon the oldest extant documents. This means that scholars aren't compounding error upon error, but re-examining the text in the original greek, hebrew and aramaic each time.

I could write forever on the topic of textual accuracy, validity and interpretive frameworks, but I won't hijack your thread... suffice to say that you can make a perfectly valid argument that the text of Matthew 2 is exactly as it was 2000 years go.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Suffice to say I can also go on about how specific details of the bible may differ in meaning, 2000 years ago.

Let alone it is virtually impossible to accurately pin-point specific details of an "event" 2000 years ago, until and unless supported by irrefutable proof.

Thus, it becomes a matter how one interprets that which has been written.

Nevertheless, it seems to me that we agree to fact that the appearance of the Star of Bethlehem was an event that had occurred 2000 years ago, which signified the birth of Christ.

So then, my interpretation of the said event, of a "bright object in the sky" begs to question if comet ISON be of any religious significance on that very day of 25th December when the world is in a frenzy ritualistic Christmas celebration.

How convenient to have a visible "bright shining object in the sky" on the "day of the Lord"?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Nice post OP! But of course it will be the comet of the century as we have only 13 years in this century.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Was the Star of Bethlehem a Star, Comet, ...or Miracle?

The famous Halley's Comet, last seen in early 1986, flared in the sky during August and September in the year 11 BC. However, most authorities dismiss it due to the poor time fit. Although it seems unlikely that another Great Comet could have appeared nearer to the accepted time frame of the Star's appearance and went unrecorded, we can never really be sure

Besides, comets were viewed as omens of evil, such as floods and famine as well as the death – not the birth – of kings and monarchs. The Romans, in marking the death of the Roman General Agrippa, for example, used the 11 B.C. apparition of Halley's Comet as a benchmark. With this in mind, comets would seem to be wrong as the heavenly sign that would signal the coming of a newborn king.

If the Magi were guided by a naked eye comet, wouldn't you think there would be other accounts of a bright comet from other civilizations located throughout the known world at the time? The only documented comet from that time period was Halley's in 11 B.C.

And the traditional date for the visit of the Magi is January 6th, or the date of the Epiphany.

If we use your train of thought about the Magi and a comet, then the date of the visit would be January 6th, 11 B.C.

But that can't be so, since the Magi asked Herod where they could find the anointed one before visiting Jesus. King Herod died in 4 B.C.

If the story of Jesus is even factual, and the Magi actually visited Jesus in the manger, and they were guided by a celestial body, it was probably a planet.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

ISON is wholly unrelated to the birth of Christ.
Why do I say this?

"...the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was." (Matthew 2:9)

Stars don't do this.

Now, looking at it logically...

- and then led them SOUTH to Bethlehem (Matthew 2:9)...

- before stopping OVER THE HOUSE in which Jesus was staying.

So... obviously this cannot be a literal star. You don't follow a star East for weeks, maybe even months, only to suddenly have it appear in the South instead of the East... nor do you have it suddenly stop moving once you arrive at your destination.

Delve a little deeper...
the word translated as 'star' in the book of Matthew is "ἀστέρα" - or, transliterated, "astera".
This word is also used to describe angels (Revelation 1:20, 6:13, and many others).

...so there's your answer.
Not a literal star, nor a comet...
but something entirely more supernatural. Personally I believe it was the Shekinah Glory (as in the Old Testament temple & tabernacle) that led the way to Christ.

edit on 18-2-2013 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2013 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

You NAILED it!

I was going to post something similar to this, but you hit the nail right on the head.

The "star" of Bethleham was an angel that led the wise men to the birth of Christ, it was not a literal star.

Now take this understanding and apply it to Revelation...

"The third angel blew his trumpet, and a great (in terms of authority) star (angelic being) fell (Gk. cast down, looses authority) from heaven (third heaven, God's thrown), blazing like a torch (light bearer), and it fell on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water (people). The name of the star is Wormwood (made bitter/angry). A third of the waters (people) became wormwood (angry bittter), and many died from the water (people), because it was made bitter (angry, wrathful)." Revelation 8:10–11

Food for thought.

God Bless,

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ElohimJD

As much I as I'd like to think angels appeared in the sky, it's seems to me like "Peter Pan" must have been there at that time also....

But of course, on a serious note, in revelations of the bible, it say something like "the seconding coming would be visible through all four corners of the earth".

Again, will the comet be visible than to all the earth, at a time when the spirit of Christmas is alive, metaphorically speaking?

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
While reading this thread I couldn't stop thinking about, ''the sound of a second trumpet'' will signify judgement day, sign from god etc.

i feel like the movements of bodies and stars are signs of the bio mechanics and inner workings of ourselves and the universe, if you ask me, I'll tell you its a sign from god; I don't know if that's blind faith, stupidity, or wisdom.

Any cults pop up surrounding this occurrence?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I think it may have some significance coming around the Northern Winter Solstice. Enoch prophesied about a number of events leading up to the Flood, one of those being a tilted earth. The comet could be a marker on a dial in the spirit realm. When it gets close to the sun the dial could read 12:00 - Times up!

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It should be no coincidence that this "comet" will appear in late 2013, following a series of major turn of events around the globe.

To my own record, this could well be a supporting "story" to whatever cover up is coming.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join