It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS really a supporter of the Catholic Church generally, and of the pope in particular?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
How is it that a 'blogger of some repute' and a contributor to faith websites doesn't know this??

Really. You don't know that your browser tracks your websurfing and shows you ads based on your surfing?

Really?

Now you know!! Welcome to ATS!

edit on 18-2-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by smurfy
It's a wee bit more than that, although what you say is true, but my ISP is in England. What I mean is that all your internet preferences are tracked, and the automation spits out the relevant crap. This is probably why the OP is getting these religious type ads, and I don't

So that's why I get ads with poodles in skirts. I really have to clean my cookies and cache.

There ain't no answer to that. You need to see the Doc

I suppose the OP has brought up something interesting though, who sees what, and how good is the reason, or rather the relevance?
Or how about typing something in here at ATS, say a mention of the new 'Die Hard' movie, or something ridiculous, like I want to be a policeman with a poodle...scrap that, I googled the sentence and YUUUP, there are policemen with poodles! But you get the drift.
edit on 18-2-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Or how about typing something in here at ATS,

I don't think it's influenced much by what you might type as participation. The targeted ads are determined more by your general location, what you've searched for, and your browsing habits. Not all ads are targeted, but some most definitely are. Advertisers like to get their info in front of potential/likely customers. That's why you'll see a lot of investment-type ads on golf tournaments and beer ads for football.

I've never seen that particular ad in question.

Personally, I have no problem with targeted ads. If I'm going to see advertising, it might as well be for something I'd find interesting. I've clicked on a few, not just here but from other sites as well and actually made a purchase or two as a result.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

It's a wee bit more than that, although what you say is true, but my ISP is in England. What I mean is that all your internet preferences are tracked, and the automation spits out the relevant crap. This is probably why the OP is getting these religious type ads, and I don't

So that's why I get ads with poodles in skirts. I really have to clean my cookies and cache.

Type SHELL:COOKIES into search from the START MENU - bottom left - and you will see all stored and hidden cookies - most of which will be ATS COOKIES - delete all of them then go to browser "PREFERENCES" and clear all browser history.

When I block cookies ATS prevents me from entering the site. I find this to be somewhat troublesome.

ATS is actually the worst offender I have come across on the web for sneaking cookies onto your hard drive.When I come onto the site and then look in my COOKIES folder there are as many as TWENTY of them in there. Aghhhhhhh

BTW - I just opened the site a minute ago after having been offline for a short time - there were about 6 religion/bible ads. These ads are coming because ATS sends them the information of what Forum I am in - THE RELIGION conspiracy forum, and NOT because of my own searches on the web - I have NOT been on a religion bible/website in about three months, so I think most here are actually misinformed about these ads and their manner of appearance on a particular persons ATS page.
edit on 18-2-2013 by EequalsMC3 because: ADD

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by EequalsMC3

What's wrong with cookies?

Our code only writes a maximum of about 8 cookies, depending on which site features are used by logged-in members. The rest are for analytics and advertising -- which are not set by us.

What does this have to do with a church?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by EequalsMC3

It's just an ad that came in over the ad networks. Being an atheist... it doesn't bother me.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Or how about typing something in here at ATS,

I don't think it's influenced much by what you might type as participation. The targeted ads are determined more by your general location, what you've searched for, and your browsing habits. Not all ads are targeted, but some most definitely are. Advertisers like to get their info in front of potential/likely customers. That's why you'll see a lot of investment-type ads on golf tournaments and beer ads for football.

I've never seen that particular ad in question.

Personally, I have no problem with targeted ads. If I'm going to see advertising, it might as well be for something I'd find interesting. I've clicked on a few, not just here but from other sites as well and actually made a purchase or two as a result.

That's not quite right, and I already agree about ad hoc targeting, but a forum is a perfect target and can be lifted as you type. I'm a member of a musicians forum which is peculiar to Ireland, and in discussion over past events there, and pretty much peculiar to the Irish music scene at one time, the top banner ads began appearing in which could only have been a response to what the conversation was about, as we were all seeing the same thing in real time, and as the discussion progressed.
Then there are the keywords, all part and parcel of the above, but you can also make them work for you if you are in the know, have a website and want it to be prominent in a search engine, something you usually have to pay for, they can be totally unrelated to anything on your website, but to just name that page with a search engine keyword, and it will become a 'first lister' at the very least in your part of the world.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EequalsMC3

Type SHELL:COOKIES into search from the START MENU - bottom left - and you will see all stored and hidden cookies - most of which will be ATS COOKIES - delete all of them then go to browser "PREFERENCES" and clear all browser history.

When I block cookies ATS prevents me from entering the site. I find this to be somewhat troublesome.

ATS is actually the worst offender I have come across on the web for sneaking cookies onto your hard drive.When I come onto the site and then look in my COOKIES folder there are as many as TWENTY of them in there. Aghhhhhhh

BTW - I just opened the site a minute ago after having been offline for a short time - there were about 6 religion/bible ads. These ads are coming because ATS sends them the information of what Forum I am in - THE RELIGION conspiracy forum, and NOT because of my own searches on the web - I have NOT been on a religion bible/website in about three months, so I think most here are actually misinformed about these ads and their manner of appearance on a particular persons ATS page.
edit on 18-2-2013 by EequalsMC3 because: ADD

That means you already understood the vagaries of posting, and nothing to do with this site per se. cooky sharing is a given, and will include any cookies on search engines, that's what makes the wheels go round.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Nope.

I've seen ads that are pro-Christian, anti-Christian. Pro-Israel, anti-Israel. Pro-Islam, anti-Islam. Pro-New Age, etc. Christian singles, Muslim singles. Conspiracy website ads targeting religions, religious ads endorsing a specific religion, etc.

They're just 3rd party ads.

Wait wut? I am dying to know, what could they possible be advertising that was "anti" Israel, islam or new age?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join