It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Material Stolen From Van

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
2. what numb nut wants to take something with a radioactive sticker on it ?

edit on 18/2/2013 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

Someone who wants to build a dirty bomb.
edit on 19/2/13 by Gazmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Years ago I worked in a lab and one of the things we used to do was test some of the radiotherapy drugs for various things. Pyrogens mainly. Anyway. The samples used to arrive in a parcels van in little lead pots. It wasn't like an armoured car or anything. Just a transit full of all the usual junk that gets delivered to businesses all over the country every day.

I know that hasn't been a great contribution, but I just wanted to point out how ordinary some radio active carrying procedures are.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazmeister

You wouldnt use iridium to do build a dirty bomb, because it is not particularly dirty.

Try again.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by Gazmeister

You wouldnt use iridium to do build a dirty bomb, because it is not particularly dirty.

Try again.

That irrelevant, it still won't stop them from trying.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Lancashire huh, I thought that crime was rampant there, or from what bits I'v seen of late, the climate of burglaries was rather high? Meaning no offense, just stating what I believed to be true, it seems a gross negligence to have left it unsecured. And with the growing Muslim population, a percentage of which are of a militant jihad persuasion, it seems a trap, or a truly unfortunate blunder.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

so the driver what, made a pit stop,decided to take a 48 hour lunch,whats up with him?why did he leave the car unguarded?

CX

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by damianrex
reply to post by CX

so the driver what, made a pit stop,decided to take a 48 hour lunch,whats up with him?why did he leave the car unguarded?

No idea of the details.

I'm not sure of the rules on carrying this kind of thing. I remember when my girlfriend had cancer a few years back, the place that did her chemo and radiotherapy, Cookeridge hospital in Leeds, it ended up closing down soon afterwards.

The place was being dismantled so i hear and there were warnings for people that were going in and messing about with the old equipment. They said there was radiation danger, but i'd have thought that kind of thing would have been monitored or removed if unattended?

As for it not being able to be used in a dirty bomb, there are a few places on the web that say otherwise.

I'm no expert though so who knows what to believe?

CX.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

I'm not sure how easy it is to use something like this for nefarious reasons, but i can't see someone stealing this to make their own radiotherapy machine.

Let's hope it's found soon, according to some reports, it is one of the ingredients that can be used for a dirty bomb.

Does anyone else know of more common uses for this stuff?

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18/2/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

all you have to do it put it in the blast radius of some conventional explosives and you have yourself a ''dirty bomb'', which is a much simpler explanation then somebody trying to use their own radiotherapy machine. Its really not difficlut to get a small volume of radioactive material if your in the right industry, even though the amounts you have access to are miniscule. I just had my licensce expire that allowed me to work with ionising radioation apparatus, which i required to use a nuclear density gauge for geotechnical work, the guage contains a small amount of caesium 137 and americium 241 and we have to wear radiation badges when using them to make sure we dont exceed a certain amount of millisieverts per year

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by foolishfool

'Also pretty sure that this is similar sort of device that turned Robert Bruce Banner into the Incredible Hulk'.

I can confirm this being an avid fan of marvel.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join