It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail Apocalypse: Why Are Major Retail Chains All Over America Collapsing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatnext21
I think a lot of people just don't have the disposable income they once did, food, gas, utilities, paying rent or mortgage and taxes are gobbling up what once was used in these stores. Myself, i haven't had a raise in over 3 years and won't for the foreseeable future.

I think whatnext2 has it right. Although I agree online sales have an effect I don't think the average Walmart customer is doing lots of online shopping either nor savvy posting on ATS for that matter. For retailers like Best Buy and bookstores I can say online has dramatically hit them.

The average family is up to its eyeballs in debt, cost of living has substantially increased, CPI is a joke so no raises either. His family healhcare according IRS is going to be almost $21,000 thousand a year under Obamacare, his energy and transportation cost have almost doubled in four years, food costs getting close to that. Everything is up but his pay and in reality he's lost at least 10% of his income to inflation according to false CPI or maybe more like 20-25% his buying power due real inflation - thank the fed and a plethora of ill though legislation.

Something has to give - whats giving is all non-essential spending because he just does not have it anymore.

Hell even the median income has fallen by a substantial margin last four years making the situation even more dire.

Guys its not just the internet.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The middle class is small business. These huge retail chains come into an area and destroy the small businesses. The people who worked for the small businesses are then unemployed so there are so many unemployed that the big businesses have no one to shop in them.

This is an unsustainable chain. Big businesses don't provide good jobs, and they don't provide enough jobs. They don't support local communities. Their profits go to wall street investors. All they care about is profit.

Shop small and don't support these mega chains. They destroy communities.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
The average family is up to its eyeballs in debt, cost of living has substantially increased, ...

The average family needs to do more listening to Clark Howard,... and less following of the Joneses.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join