It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control -- No matter what your opinion, you need to see this

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Been posted before but worth another look.

S + F.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Where did I say they do anything by themselves? I didn't. Got any other bumper-sticker thoughts?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I just dont understand why everyone uses Germany as an example and an argument. Hitler did not disarm Germans in order to rise to the power. German gun policy was an extension of post-World War I gun control measures set on Germany by the Allies to keep Germany from militarizing itself. The gun control was forced on Germans by the allies, Hitler had nothing to do with it. In fact, Hitler loosened gun laws in 1938.

This guy in the video had some good arguments but he lost me after the
"Few saw third reich comming untill it was too late" BS quote.
Another thing, does someone really believe that few guns would have stopped Thrid Reich or helped Jews in Germany ? Yeah it would, in a Hollywood movie it would.

edit on 18-2-2013 by ArtooDetoo because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2013 by ArtooDetoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Where did I say they do anything by themselves? I didn't.

Nice dodge. You did specifically blame "guns". See here...

The problem is guns, always has been -- always will be.

I thought it was bullets that do the harm. No? I mean a gun is useless as a weapon without bullets. So maybe the bullets come home from the store, jump out of the box into the gun and shoot themselves? At people?

edit on 18-2-2013 by intrptr because: wasted space

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I'd love to use your logic. No, I didn't slap you. You walked into my hand.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtooDetoo

The law passed in 1938 forbade Jews and immigrants from owning guns and exempted Nazi officials from the paperwork of gun ownership. Regular people still needed permits and registration, which was (dis-)approved by the local police. The law that was passed before the Nazis by the Weimar wasn't because of the Treaty of Versailles, but to stop the Nazis and Communists from owning guns. The law was comprehensive enough that the Nazis didn't need to add on.

Your take on it is a little screwy.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

No, I didn't slap you. You walked into my hand.

Ahhh, there you go. Now you are getting it. "People slap people". You said it yourself.

People shoot people too. They are the one blamed. Guranteeed.

What people commit murder with is irrelevant. They are charged with murder, not their tool.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

en.wikipedia.org...

We can play semantics all day and no one would ever win.

In a culture that glorifies guns, people will go on murderous shooting sprees. In a culture that abhors guns, that won't happen.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Oh, this video again?

School shootings have happened for the entire duration of America's existence.

And yes, in the link provided it says:

Starting in the 1900s, school shootings appear to be a fairly regular occurrence, with a shooting every couple of years. For example, there was a shooting in 1906, 1907, two in 1908, and one in 1909. Most of these were not mass shootings but rather involved only one or two people.

Now, if the shooters had access to high-capacity weapons instead of ancient rifles or single-fire muskets, perhaps there would have been more than just one or two people dead.

Also, it was more common for schoolmasters to have weapons on the ready for defense against Native American attacks, and armed teachers still didn't stop shootings from happening. The problem is guns, always has been -- always will be.

Well sure... Everyone knows that we only had muzzle loaders in the 1900s LOL The rifle in this video came out in 1873, it and later variants were the most common rifles of the early 1900s.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
No offense but....., this thing about guns became another two-sided issue. No need to pick a side, millions like me doesn't have a gun and doesn't want one. I understand many folks like guns and respect that, but thinking about a future possible revolution, civil war or fight against a government is a hollywoodian excuse to have guns. Rebels in other countries are victorious just because they count with support of powerfull governments.

How in the world did the clearly expressed intention for the 2nd amendment become something boiled down to a "hollywoodian excuse"? This idea shows how far our ideals and understanding of the consitution have been corrupted over the years.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
that guy kept ringing the bell, and all i could think was "it needs more cowbell".

damn. they couldn't wait for him to stop spreading "dangerous" ideas.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by intrptr

en.wikipedia.org...

We can play semantics all day and no one would ever win.

In a culture that glorifies guns, people will go on murderous shooting sprees. In a culture that abhors guns, that won't happen.

That won't happen but this will. en.wikipedia.org... It happened to the only 2 groups that our government enforced gun control on in the past. African Americans and Native Americans. Can you tell me what conceivable thing makes you believe that same government is now trustworthy?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

People go on "murderous shooting sprees" all over the world.

Your wiki about "vehicular homicide" says what? That it's a crime to kill people with a car? I agree.

Maybe we should ban cars? Oh, they don't drive themselves. Whew, for a moment there I almost lost the difference. Be careful what you say...
Do hammers drive nails? People use hammers to drive nails,
Do baseball bats hit home runs?
Do pencils write on paper?
If I type a dirty word can I blame my keyboard for that?

You're right. We could do this all night.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
A great speech, I can only hope there are many more like this man!

Trueman, you really need to wake up and look around you. Reading your comments is very disconcerting. I can only hope there aren't many others who share such an ignorant view. What exactly do you think the government is taking one protection after another away from us for? Do you think the DHS just wants to kick everyone's door in and have a BBQ??

And regardless, the right to own guns is about more than just defending against our governent. Do you think there are no other countries/governments in the world who may pose a threat of invasion, be it now or in the future? The obvious rebuttal may be along the lines of "who would be stupid enough to challenge the military might of the USA" etc, but people and countries alike are opportunistic.

It could be something unexpected, such as a natural event(a CME for example) taking out much or all of our electrical grid, which could weaken us enough that an invasion would pose far less risk. Even the targeting of US military and GPS satellites could remove a substantial percentage of our advantage against an invading force. With an ever growing number of space-capable nations, it's not at all out of the realm of possibility.

I have never hunted, but I will never be without a gun. I choose to excercise this right as much for the protection of my family as for that of my fellow Americans, and always with great respect for those who have fought and died for us to have this right.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Gtr003121 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Good video with the speaker making valid points.

I think all this gun control business is a distraction. They know it is an issue that people feel strongly about - on both sides. They know they can't take our guns away but they want our emotional energy focused on this issue- instead of something else. But what? Maybe it is the global disaster that is supposed to happen before June 1st.

Sal

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SallieSunshine
Good video with the speaker making valid points.

I think all this gun control business is a distraction. They know it is an issue that people feel strongly about - on both sides. They know they can't take our guns away but they want our emotional energy focused on this issue- instead of something else. But what? Maybe it is the global disaster that is supposed to happen before June 1st.

Sal

Or maybe, it's just politics as usual. The reality is, it is highly unlikely that federal legislation banning assault-style weapons and high capacity magazines will pass. So, you guys will still be able to kill lots of people in just a few minutes. Congratulations.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

99.99999999% of gun owners have never shot anybody. But way to bigot them all out and sterotype the whole lot.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Yeah, well you know the one difference there - guns are designed for one purpose - to kill.

It's interesting to compare those two things - the car and the gun. Both are certainly glorified in our society, both are pervasive, both can certainly be abused. The one key difference, to me, is their intent - the gun was invented for one purpose - to kill other people. The car, however, was invented to get people from point A to point B quicker. You can definitely abuse the use of a car to detriment (dui, vehicular manslaughter, etc), but its positives far outweigh its negatives (well, discounting the whole global warming thing, which is a whole other can of worms) - but I don't understand how anyone can argue that the good of a gun outweighs the bad. The argument that you need to a gun to protect you from other guns doesn't hold when arguing whether guns are good.

The problem we have is that guns are *so* pervasive in this country that we almost can't go back, much to our detriment. So the question becomes, what do we do to reduce the gun violence, be it mass shootings, or the thousands of gang related deaths. The two obvious answers to me are a) reduce or eliminate our glorification of guns and b) change the laws so that people who shouldn't have guns can't get them (and enforce them). Unfortunately, I think in many ways, the good ole US of A is well beyond the point of no return with guns - they've just become so pervasive, they are engrained into our society. We have to make intelligent decisions based in reality with consideration of what's actually feasible and what has the potential to actually make an impact.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

S&F Nice find, Buster!

Apparently this LEGAL immigrant has more sense than half the elected officials in DC!

That made my day!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
i completely disagree that guns are glorified in our culture. they're completely misrepresented.

there are several videos of people responding to the school shooting by strapping on ar-15s and walking down the street to show that guns aren't the source of violence, and if guns were glorified in our culture, you'd expect celebrity status to be given to those individuals. what actually happened is people ran away, cops were called, one man was refused service, etc. we live in a society of fear.

guns are like matches in many ways. teach children to respect them and how to safely use them, but don't teach them that they are evil. a single match can cause a hell of a lot more damage than a plethora of ar-15s, yet a match can be used to light candles, start campfires and stoves; practically limitless applications. matches and guns are both capable of death and destruction, but saying that guns have no good uses (humanity as a collective hasn't reached the level where weapons aren't needed as a defense against those who would do harm) is like saying a match has no good use.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join