It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Curiosity getting the best of you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Im getting tired of seeing threads where the author shows images of rocks, yet his/her imagination gets the best of them... These threads seem to get tons of stars and flags... but for what?

Pareidolia (pron.: /pærɨˈdoʊliə/ parr-i-DOH-lee-ə) is a psychological phenomenon involving a vague and random stimulus (often an image or sound) being perceived as significant. Common examples include seeing images of animals or faces in clouds, the man in the moon or the Moon rabbit, and hearing hidden messages on records when played in reverse.

I think most people see faces in clouds, or shapes resembling something... this is the same thing these threads are sporting...

Look... A flower on Mars!!

Nope... its a rock

Look... and ancient Ship Cemetary!!

*sigh*

Nope... more rocks :shk:

Omg... A knife on Mars? WTF!!

Uhh... no, that's a rock too....

A crocodile?!?!

Seriously people?

*facepalm*

And of course my all time favorite...

A living lizard on Mars!! Omgwtf!!

:bnghd:

Seriously ladies and gents... Quit posting these threads...

Its nothing more then your imagination getting the best of you...

Theres no lizards, or ships or ancient buildings on mars... And if there actually is the curiosity rover is no where near them.

Perhaps this is just a testament to the quality of threads being posted on our forum lately...

Heres a great example of what im talking about here....

This is it...

That is the single worst thread in the history of our forum... and people loved it...

THAT is Just disgusting....

ATS you make me sad sometimes

edit on 17-2-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

what if........ these pics being sent back to us are airbrushed and Photoshopped before being released to the public.it wouldnt be to hard since there isnt much color contrast on mars itself at least what we have seen from the photos being sent back and released to us, u see how this can be a revolving door?
edit on 17-2-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

ReaLLY????
So just what is little silver mouse sitting on a rock, looking so out of place, I say with big cow eyes?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think you'll have as much impact on making them stop as the attempt to stop mass floods of Lanza threads.
I agree with you, people let their imagination get the better of them but you can't blame someone for having hope on finding something unique

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
It's funny you made this thread because I was looking at some Curiosity gigapans earlier and came accross the 'lizard' one that was posted and I laughed to myself. It looks odd yeah but if if we shouldn't be seeing it it wouldn't be there.
Then I came accross a small section in the gigapan that was blurred...and I thought...hmmm, maybe what we want to see lurks behind the fuzziness...

I took a screen shot and thought about making a thread but I didn't really have the time and I don't really know where i'm going with this...

(gunna make myself a bacon sarnie and straighten up a bit

edit on 17/2/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by poxonskeps
reply to post by Akragon

ReaLLY????
So just what is little silver mouse sitting on a rock, looking so out of place, I say with big cow eyes?

I would say... its a rock...

Post the picture and let our members decide what "the rock" looks like...

Welcome to the forum btw... congrats on your first star

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Look... and ancient Ship Cemetary!!

*sigh*
Nope... more rocks :shk:

You may want to take a closer look at this and rethink what you are ranting about (no offense intended)

Akragon, I appreciate your critical thinking and Paredolia is a good explanation for so many things. However, as the creator of the thread you quoted, I feel I need to defend my claim - at least to some extent.

So yes, we are looking at ROCKS, probably the petrified remains of some ancient devices (most likely 'ships') that have been buried under the rubble at Rocknest and were exposed to erosion for thousands of years. But you need to look closely and spend some time on the GigaPan Panorama, or look into this post of mine with comparisons to more 'earthly' remains of shipwrecks and you might see the striking resemblance.

Or take this image as an example:

What do 'you' think the pic above shows (seriously)?

Of course, these are rocks ... but why the peculiar artifical looking shapes in so many places at Rocknest. Believe me, I didn't like what I have come to believe seeing at Rocknest, but I can't deny it either. And I have absolutely no explanation WHY the hell there should be shipwrecks on Mars. But it seems that they are there ... so let's talk about it!

In any case, S+F for your critical approach!!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
-The game starts when NASA releases a photo.

- People start making conjectures and silly theories about what is on the picture.

- After a while, NASA says it's a rock.

- People get mad because they refuse the boring reality.

It always works. A game designed to uncover low IQ people. It's unthinkable what could happen the day they release a real "alien" photo evidence.
edit on 17-2-2013 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Since this is BTS - I will utilize this time and opportunity to vent something that has been gnawing at me for a long, long time.

I HAVE ZERO SKILL AT "SEEING" THESE THINGS!!!! Even after some folks post the pics, with a tracing of what I am supposed to be seeing? I STILL DON'T SEE IT!

FTR - I can't see those magic eye things either.

This is definitely one of the things that causes my notorious ~tWiTcH~.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

I definitely appreciate the work you put into that thread my friend... I'll even S&F your effort...

So yes, we are looking at ROCKS, probably the petrified remains of some ancient devices (most likely 'ships') that have been buried under the rubble at Rocknest and were exposed to erosion for thousands of years. But you need to look closely and spend some time on the GigaPan Panorama, or look into this post of mine with comparisons to more 'earthly' remains of shipwrecks and you might see the striking resemblance.

Probably petrified remains?

I just can't take that approach... though im sure if you spend enough time looking at that image, you'll start to see lots of things... This morning I was staring at the stucko on ceiling in my bedroom... and there was a few faces staring right back at me... some were smiling... some looked pissed off...

What do 'you' think the pic above shows (seriously)?

Seriously... its a rock... lol

Sorry man

Of course, these are rocks ... but why the peculiar artifical looking shapes in so many places at Rocknest. Believe me, I didn't like what I have come to believe seeing at Rocknest, but I can't deny it either. And I have absolutely no explanation WHY the hell there should be shipwrecks on Mars. But it seems that they are there ... so let's talk about it!

In any case, S+F for your critical approach!!

Well that's what your thread is for... thanks for your reply either way

I've seen many of these threads, and unfortunately its getting boring... Theres no picture that's been released that shows evidence of any of these things... Its just peoples imagination running amuck... likely from staring at those pictures for long periods of time... Ones mind tends to convince itself that you see something you wish to which is not actually there.

Then perhaps there has been pictures that haven't been released... Who knows, but im unconvinced

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Since this is BTS - I will utilize this time and opportunity to vent something that has been gnawing at me for a long, long time.

I HAVE ZERO SKILL AT "SEEING" THESE THINGS!!!! Even after some folks post the pics, with a tracing of what I am supposed to be seeing? I STILL DON'T SEE IT!

FTR - I can't see those magic eye things either.

This is definitely one of the things that causes my notorious ~tWiTcH~.

DUDE!!!

I LOVE those things!! And totally forgot about them!

You're missin out my friend!!

You can't see the guy on the horse rearing up?

What a shame...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I can't see anything but static. Is there just one guy and horse??? Or is it like a mosaic with the same image multiple times?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You're complaining about useless threads....yet that's exactly what you just made!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I will agree that pareidolia is a good explanation for many of the images of Mars that are supposed to be something other than rocks. However, I don't believe they all are. I'm one of those crazy people who thinks there are remnants of an ancient civilization on Mars, and occasionally, a piece of that civilization turns up in an image NASA releases.

I personally don't mind the threads you're talking about. I check each and every one. I'm usually disappointed, but I check them anyway. Nevertheless, I understand what you're saying. But the same thing could be said about many topics here on ATS, where the imagination has the propensity to run amok if given half the chance.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I'm one of those crazy people who thinks there are remnants of an ancient civilization on Mars

I love crazy people!

Im just getting tired of seeing rocks...

Someone needs to bust out something worth looking at...

Like this maybe?

You can't see this?

Shameless I know...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Check out some of mikesingh's old threads. Then decide if it's all pareidolia.

It is shameless.
I can usually only see about half of those things.
edit on 2/17/2013 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

You might want to check my thread which went almost unnoticed, it's about unidentifed object which appeared sitting on the rock couple of days before Spirit rover stopped sending signal. Also one member found what looked like some writings on the hill behind it.
And, yea, IMO we need threads about Mars surroundings, someday we will find something of significance.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by Akragon

what if........ these pics being sent back to us are airbrushed and Photoshopped before being released to the public.it wouldnt be to hard since there isnt much color contrast on mars itself at least what we have seen from the photos being sent back and released to us, u see how this can be a revolving door?

What if the aliens on mars are intercepting any data feeds from curiosity and paint brushing out any real pictures.

What if jesus is on mars and turning the monsters into rock for not believing in him.

What if mighty mouse and atom ant had a baby.

what if.......

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by Akragon

What if the aliens on mars are intercepting any data feeds from curiosity and paint brushing out any real pictures.

What if jesus is on mars and turning the monsters into rock for not believing in him.

What if mighty mouse and atom ant had a baby.

what if.......

possible

which version of jesus are you talking about? or are you talking about your land scaper?

did the mouse and ant have sex or did they splice there genes together?

you got to get more specific if your gonna throw out random what ifs, cause then it just becomes silly

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
Seriously... its a rock... lol
Sorry man

Yes, 'today' it is ... but it used to be something entirely different prior to petrification, just like this interesting structure from Sol 107:

Link to the original image from NASA/JPL (Sol 107)

We have to open our eyes and acknowledge what's there. We also need to trust our 'human intuition' in certain cases ... it can be a very powerful means to not oversee something important lying in the martian sands right before our eyes!

P.S.: And thanks again for S+F!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join