It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 35
<< 32  33  34   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

State.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

The victim never loss consciousness. It wasn't a sucker punch I made him Aware of my intentions before the assault.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, you can't get a job cleaning hotel rooms anymore with a criminal record!!! Even the tough manual labor positions are telling convicts "no".

Of course it isn't against the law for companies to hire convicted felons, that's illegal now, and it usually isn't even against formal company policy. However as someone who call various employers trying to find work for my customers I can say companies are quick to inform me there's no need sending anyone with ANY type of criminal record!

A lot of companies have gone to using staffing agencies and staffing agencies have a zero tolerance for convictions.

And as I've said it has trickled down to MISDEMEANORS! Everyday I see people turned down for positions due to 10 year old MISDEMEANORS!!!!!!

Of course none of that is permissible.

EEOC Enforcement Guidance

Perform Criminal Background Checks at Your Peril

Should it be a federal crime for businesses to refuse to hire ex-convicts? Yes, according to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which recently released 20,000 convoluted words of regulatory "guidance" to direct businesses to hire more felons and other ex-offenders.

Last April, the agency unveiled its "Enforcement Guidance on the Consideration of arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions," declaring that "criminal record exclusions have a disparate impact based on race and national origin."

It is difficult to overstate the EEOC's zealotry on this issue. The agency is demanding that one of Mr. Livingston's clients—the Freeman Companies, a convention and corporate events planner—pay compensation to rejected job applicants who lied about their criminal records.

The biggest bombshell in the new guidelines is that businesses complying with state or local laws that require employee background checks can still be targeted for EEOC lawsuits. This is a key issue in a case the EEOC commenced in 2010 against G4S Secure Solutions after the company refused to hire a twice-convicted Pennsylvania thief as a security guard.

G4S provides guards for nuclear power plants, chemical plants, government buildings and other sensitive sites, and it is prohibited by state law from hiring people with felony convictions as security officers. But, as G4S counsel Julie Payne testified before the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights this past December, the EEOC insists "that state and local laws are pre-empted by Title VII" and is pressuring the company "to defend the use of background checks in every hiring decision we have made over a period of decades."

See also: The EEOC’s New Rule on Background Checks

The tide is clearly changing.

In fact, some of the largest employers are being sued on this issue now.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Do you know where to find case information on this? I'd like to find out f Home Depot is one.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Doesn't look like they are one of them yet.

But I can promise you they've spent the last couple of months assessing this issue.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thing is...how can it be proved a employer is discriminating against offenders? No way I can think of...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I feel your pain man. I got a misdemeanor 17 years ago that apparently bars me from owning a weapon legally in the U.S. A misdemeanor. My wife and I when we were young got into it and resulted in a domestic charge, a misdemeanor charge at that. We are still together, just celebrated our 20th anniversary. This is the only thing I have ever done, and it results in a lifetime ban from my constitutional rights. I get it, it is not fair by any stretch, but there is nothing I can do except become a criminal if I want to protect my family.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

It's based upon whether they can show a direct and reasonable relationship to a person's criminal background and the specific employment role.

Blanket rejections are not permitted.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Well lets see you've addressed not a single question I've asked. You put yourself out there and asked for 'your' rights back. I could keep going but clearly your not worth a proper discussion, since you haven't given me any reason to believe or care about your situation, or the common felon in general. If anything you've made me lose further faith in the felons in this country.
edit on 22-2-2013 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

No...this IS TRUE. There are FEW companies that will hire felons (and even misdemeanors) especially in this day. It used to not be a problem, I could simply direct felons to construction trades and warehouse work or at the least fast food and housekeeping. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, you can't get a job cleaning hotel rooms anymore with a criminal record!!! Even the tough manual labor positions are telling convicts "no"

Generally speaking, housekeeping jobs do not hire people with violent or theft felonies. For good reason. I know at least a dozen people in the construction trades who have a felony on their record. I know 3 off the top of my head that work in financial services. One who works in air traffic control.

More often than not, someone with a felony conviction will have to settle for a lesser job. But, again, they ARE out there.

A lot of companies have gone to using staffing agencies and staffing agencies have a zero tolerance for convictions.

Again, not true. Some staffing agencies work SPECIFICALLY with people with records.

And as I've said it has trickled down to MISDEMEANORS! Everyday I see people turned down for positions due to 10 year old MISDEMEANORS!!!!!!

The majority of first time offenders with a misdemeanor can get it sealed, or expunged. Perhaps the fact that people havent even gone through to simple process of getting that done says something.

And we wonder why so many people are on government assistance? It's the only way they can SURVIVE.

I dont disagree.

I tell my more thuggish customers they should start putting the tool to some of these business owners heads and robbing them if they can't get work, because that's DEFINATELY what I would do if I were in their position.

Ahhh yes, now THERE is a fine example of a functioning member of society.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Id like to be privy to this situation and watch as it culminates. How did you find out about this?

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Since it was a state felony, and you are now in another state, that's grounds to possibly get it removed as well.

The state you are now in may not even consider it a felony. Something else you can check into.

edit on 23-2-2013 by kthxbai because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
removed by me

edit on 23-2-2013 by kthxbai because: edited by me as to not reply to a deleted post

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright
I tell my more thuggish customers they should start putting the tool to some of these business owners heads and robbing them if they can't get work, because that's DEFINATELY what I would do if I were in their position.

If your supervisor were privy to this, you would be the one looking for employment

I see this as very shameful.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

It's not easy getting information about this issue. I'm going to petition the Courts in the state that I'm in and go before a judge. I'm going to conduct research and talk to an attorney that's in my family about due process and the other specifics before i go.

To me now this is just fun. I'm not afraid of the courtroom anymore so this will be interesting.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Also everything involved in this issue is public record, if it's within 10 years it should be quite easy to find. If it isn't get a lawyer I'm sure if you can get any "revenge" that would be the simplest course of action.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Fylgje

The victim never loss consciousness. It wasn't a sucker punch I made him Aware of my intentions before the assault.

I appreciate your honesty. It cracks me up that you explained to him what you were going to do before you done it! LOL That's kinda how I work sometimes. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get the record expunged. As it was explained to me, it really depends on what kind of mood the judge is in. But good luck. We all deserve a clean slate so we can start anew.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

I'm in process on two things right now.

California new leaf program, and I'm getting ready to petition the court for an order to carry a black powder rifle. I'm going to keep this thread up to date with info.

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by Fylgje

I'm in process on two things right now.

California new leaf program, and I'm getting ready to petition the court for an order to carry a black powder rifle. I'm going to keep this thread up to date with info.

I don't sucker punch people why would I? I'm not a coward like that.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

But why approach the situation logically NoJoker, that would be INSANE!

Well I agree but sometimes being logical is the only course of action!

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34   >>

join