It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Absolutely.

The government creates crimes and punishments according to what society wants. In theory anyways but it works for our purpose.

Absolutely! These laws are made by the people…for our protection.

There are 1,000 people on ATS who don’t want law abiding citizens to have a gun, so I find it a bit strange that there are ANY people willing to put a gun in this guy’s hand (no offense, OP).

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Maybe I am wrong to think this way. But wouldn't this be a form of double jeopardy? Since you are being punished a second time for your crime. And you could attempt to fight this. It could end up as a landmark case if the subject hasn't gone to the supreme court yet. Just because it is a law doesn't mean it is constitutional. You did your crime and payed your time. You should be a totally free and unrestricted man.
edit on 17-2-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

You want the right to have a gun? Is that really what America needs now? A self confessed violent felon with a gun? You lost control once, you will never be able to convince anyone that there is no situation where you won't lose it again.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

"Rights" are a misnomer in this country because they are treated and regulated as privileges. The foundation of this FACT is taxes. You HAVE to pay them...or you are a criminal...if you are criminal your rights become privileges and can be regulated. If you pay your taxes you are supporting the system and there for treated as a government "asset".

Interesting.

but your main premise is 100% correct. The government dictates the laws/legislation that define crimes that create criminals that allow them to treat their "rights" as privileges...in which they are at that point privileges...so "rights" is a misnomer...

Im glad you get that point and were able to articulate that better then i was.

The government could technically legally pass a law making breathing illegal...and from that point everyone is a criminal and they could legally strip this country of its constitutional rights...and regulate them as privileges...either that or you are dumb enough to obey the law and are dead...in which case your rights still don't matter.

Just so people read this one twice.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

The reason i was charged with a felony is because the victim had his cheek bone break.

Some people actualy do worse, and walk free !!!

Im sorry but for i dont see any reason why OP shouldnt get his rights back !

i broke someone arm in self defense, does it make me a monster or a terrible person, do i need to stay my whole life behind bars and never get any rights back ?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Anyone is capable of violence under the right situation.
and yes i want to bear arms. I want to be able to go hunting with my family and be protected. Especially considering now the neighborhood i live in is rampant with crime.

I want the same things…but I didn’t smash anyone’s face in either.

Sounds like you should have gotten a better lawyer to plead down your charges.

The average person wouldn't feel comfortable with a felon owning a firearm. That's the way it is....

edit on 17-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

link   

You should have thought about all of this before you assaulted somebody, like an animal.

You act like an animal,you get caged like one and lose your human rights.

No sympathy from me...& I'd bet the person you assaulted was weaker than you & you knew this...

My personal feeling is that if one feels the need to assault people, then YOU should be banished from normal society,which you have been. I think your kind should all be put on an island & left to kill each other off like the animals you are. You are a threat to non-violent people and deserve everything you reap.

link   
reply to post by AnonyWarp

You need to be taught the difference between self defense and a violent offense?

link   
reply to post by superman2012

Im sure everyone has lost control at some point, no matter the circumstance.

I cant really add context because im not everyone.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by notasdumbasyou

No sympathy from me...& I'd bet the person you assaulted was weaker than you & you knew this...

He was assaulting someone else in mutual combat and wouldnt quit. Just saying...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonyWarp

i broke someone arm in self defense, does it make me a monster or a terrible person, do i need to stay my whole life behind bars and never get any rights back ?

Were you convicted by a jury of your peers of a felony?

NOPE!

Do you see a difference? It's not against the law to defend yourself.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Well, there you go. You're a registered fighter. In the eyes of the law, your hands are dangerous weapons.

If you had put the guy in a chokehold and detained him instead of striking him, you might have fared better.

California's laws are indeed sickening. I'm from NY, so i understand where you are coming from.

link   

The last time I "lost control", I left the situation. That is why I have never been incarcerated.

link   

You should have thought about all of this before you assaulted somebody, like an animal. You act like an animal,you get caged like one and lose your human rights. No sympathy from me...& I'd bet the person you assaulted was weaker than you & you knew this...

People acting like wise old men, then telling to another person they deserve no rights and stay caged.

yeaaaah totaly make sense

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

Not saying it applies to the OP. But in the role of Devils advocacy.

I have a nephew who, on his eighteenth birthday, got a bit rowdy in class at High School. His birthday is in mid December, so he was halfway through his senior year and just a couple of days short of Christmas break. He and a female that he flirted with got into a teenage style poking match. At some point the girl got pissy, picked up a book bag, and hit my nephew with it.

In retort he intended to toss it back at her. Toss, not throw. She moved, the book bag went past her and struck the teachers leg.

It bears mention... this teacher happened to be the lover of the married school resource officer ( cop ).

That cop arrested my nephew, charged him with three felony battery charges. The kid, at that time, had no record at all. He was rowdy, but not a lost cause. Those three felonies were boiled down, in court, to one felony and just a passel of misdemeanors. My nephew isn't that bright so he pleaded out to get it behind him.

Now? He is a lost cause. That began a domino effect that has seen him fall to pieces, get hooked on drugs, and, through an endless series of probation violations, he's spent 18 months, out of the last 30 in jail. All on the original book bag related charges.

I believe in the rule of law, and have a hard time being sympathetic. But sometimes felony charges can end up on a person for no real reason. For the love of God... I was rowdy and actually really, really, really hurt a few people in fights when I was in High School and all it ever got me was 5 days of suspension. I honestly get stymied when I look at my 5'5", 120 pound nephew and try to even think the words "felony battery".

link   

Originally posted by onequestion
reply to post by mbkennel

The only thing i want back are my constitutionally guaranteed rights.

The government is no longer limited in how it deals with me judicially. Put yourself in that position under different context and what does that sound like?

you lost those guaranteed rights when you were convicted of a felony, sorry but that's the way it goes, unless you can convince the court to vacate or expunge the charges (expunging would be easier but by no means guaranteed)

You could be the best person on the planet, you could have completely turned yourself around, but the law states, convicted of a felony, you lost two very important rights, the right to vote and the right to carry a handgun, esp with a violent felony.. and i hate to say it, I agree 100% with the latter reasoning.

link   

Originally posted by seabag

What “rights” do you want back? The right to keep and bear arms? Voting privileges?

My personal feeling is this – If a person has been convicted of a violent felony resulting in the injury of another human being, that person should NEVER be allowed to own a firearm again. You’ve proven that you are capable and willing to commit violence against others, so why should you be trusted? Currently, federal law is on my side.

edit on 17-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

Although I agree violent people shouldn't be aided in their violence...I think you would also agree that what is deemed a "violent crime" anymore is becoming more and more vague and less and less true to its description...Violence in the eyes of "society" and the "law" is pretty vague and open for interpretation...which lead to injustices such as Heff's story.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BlesUTP

If you had put the guy in a chokehold and detained him instead of striking him, you might have fared better.

Your probably right. I learned that lesson. I dont want to discuss weather what i did was right or wrong because i was convicted. Thats not really the premise of my argument although it is relevant on some level to the argument.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

You need to be taught the difference between self defense and a violent offense?

Protip: trying to belittle people is not nice , especialy in very interesting thread, no offense

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Good news for one -- time fellons. They can have their rights expunged in most cases. Bad news for those that wish to trample over protected rights ie some of the posters in this thread....

Edit

I meant that one -- time fellons can have their felony expunged.
edit on 17-2-2013 by CheckPointCharlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join