It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is plant intelligence under-rated?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I hope it's not underrated because I pride myself on eating less meat and on eating more legumes and vegetables and oatmeals and other things. My conscience would be clueless how to handle it.

This would be an example of me being prejudiced against plants. That's why it's easier for me to eat them. And yet it's much harder to eat animals. And what if animals are actually dumber?

Either way, I'm just picking what I think is the lesser evil. We're placed on this earth and literally have to kill other things to eat. So we're evil no matter what choice we make, by this measure.

There's also a double standard we use when murder and eating are concerned. If I were to kill another human for food it would be a crime (unless it was voluntary and matter of survival; survival cannibalism; there're examples of this in recent history). But if I were to kill a bird and eat it, it'd only be a crime if it wasn't legal game or I didn't have a hunting license and it wasn't hunting season. But even if it turned out to be a crime, it wouldn't be on the same level as killing a person for food. Or I could kill a mouse on my property and nobody will notice. I could even eat it. I don't think I need to point out how many birds boys with bb guns have killed in the past 50 years. Point is, we have a whole different standard for people. We treat animals and plants like Nazi's treated Jews.
edit on 17-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

It's deeper than just thinking. This researcher shows how plants are psychic, and are empathetic to pain? In the immediate environment. Stange

If they are connected to one big brain that is mother nature, they would not need indevidual brains.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Don't feel too bad lol some plants eat insects, I think there is one that eats rats and mice and stuff too. Everything's works harmoniously in the circle of life in the natural world. Purpose for living=food for something else. We kind of removed ourself from the circle and abuse it.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious
Whether plants have a consciousness or not.. the answer to your question is they evolved... that's how they came to have these defense mechanisms..

Plants can evolve? Are you serious? You clearly know nothing about plants.

Tell me, how does a plant evolve? PROVE IT!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by notasdumbasyou

Everything evolves friend. Nothing stays the same. As we move forward in time from a linear perspective most things evolve. Devolving would be seen as going backwards in evolution while moving forward in time. But nothing stays the same. What would you say plants did?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

PROVE IT! YOU CAN'T! You know why you can't? Because it & you are a lie...

Please, tell me about this awe inspiring plant that has evolved...out of tons and tons, it should be easy to name one, right? Does it have a name?

Tell me about the part of the plant that is responsible for evolving...tell me what coding the plant has that allows this, you can't.

Is it just one type of plant that can evolve? Why or why not? What did it evolve FROM? What conditions were needed? What nutrients? What amount of sunlight or dark period? What amount of stress was needed? What about the species it "evolved" from, where is it? How long does it take to evolve? How come it isn't observable in nature or in a lab?

The ignorance is strong with you...and you have been denied!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by notasdumbasyou

Have you been banned? Wonder why

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious

Originally posted by Wifibrains
reply to post by intrepid

Evolution is obvious! I'm asking for ideas on how it made these observations to mimic them? Evolution explains the process of morphing into a mimicry species, but how to they differentiate between colours and smell, shape ect?

edit on 16-2-2013 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

The plant didn't make any observations, it was Trial and error.. the ones that turned red became extinct, the ones that turned yellow survived.. same with with shapes and smells.. were talking millions of years here..

Well it's good to see someone on here who is well-informed on conventional scientific matters.

I think plants are more intelligent than we give them credit for, but I'm not sure if there is or is not a connection between intelligence and evolution.

Wikipedia: Plant Perception
edit on 17-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Wikipedia: Plant Perception (Phsyiology)

BBC: Plants Can Think and Remember

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I was wondering how it worked out what a wasp looks like. Evolution makes it sound like a lucky fluke, it gives the impression that it tried all different ways through trial and error. Even that is inteligence really, though much less than being aware of it surroundings, which i think is more the case here. How did the plant know that a wasp would spread its pollen more efficiently than the wind? It does more than just mimic the wasp. There is trickery involved, that requires thought, or instruction from higher inteligence.

Maybe the plant and the wasp communicated and have a special arrangement. Favour for a favour.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Well as far as what they (trees & plants I talk too) say....It's normally related to there well being or mine. ie) I'm hungery...I'm sickly ..ect...I'm not talking just house plants here either .

As to the method of communication...its hard to relate but I'm sure all of us do it. Like when you know someone is behind you or watching you. Like how you seldom feel alone in a lit forest ect, or if your an animal lover how your pets "speak" without words, if a person looks at plants as "pets" the communication is easier.

I just stumbled upon the Wiki for plant (perception) and it seems to be an exellent "feelings free" way to look at it.

I find the subject facinating and am always uplifted to hear about other people whom consider the plants and world around them , it's refreshing.

Cheers

edit on 17-2-2013 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I was wondering how it worked out what a wasp looks like. Evolution makes it sound like a lucky fluke, it gives the impression that it tried all different ways through trial and error.

If I remember my biology vaguely, the theory is that the plants that changed accidentally (mutation) into shapes that mimicked those wasps, for instance, lived longer and reproduced more until a more perfect mimic of the wasp happened over many generations.

Some of these mutations stretch the imagination... and belief in some intelligence behind these changes is not unreasonable. Lamarck had some ideas about this that I find interesting. Heck, so do the pagans.

Plants seem more intelligent than the average vegan would like to imagine, from personal observation and anecdote.

Green is pretty.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
I hope it's not underrated because I pride myself on eating less meat and on eating more legumes and vegetables and oatmeals and other things. My conscience would be clueless how to handle it.

This would be an example of me being prejudiced against plants. That's why it's easier for me to eat them. And yet it's much harder to eat animals. And what if animals are actually dumber?

Either way, I'm just picking what I think is the lesser evil. We're placed on this earth and literally have to kill other things to eat. So we're evil no matter what choice we make, by this measure.

There's also a double standard we use when murder and eating are concerned. If I were to kill another human for food it would be a crime (unless it was voluntary and matter of survival; survival cannibalism; there're examples of this in recent history). But if I were to kill a bird and eat it, it'd only be a crime if it wasn't legal game or I didn't have a hunting license and it wasn't hunting season. But even if it turned out to be a crime, it wouldn't be on the same level as killing a person for food. Or I could kill a mouse on my property and nobody will notice. I could even eat it. I don't think I need to point out how many birds boys with bb guns have killed in the past 50 years. Point is, we have a whole different standard for people. We treat animals and plants like Nazi's treated Jews.
edit on 17-2-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

hmm well in my opinion ts about sustaining god system of life and to do that you need to eat its not evil surviving evil is just a part of duality that man created to guage things i assure there is nothing evil in this world in my mind anyways act of cruelty maybe but that dose not make them evil... well it dose on the guage but im saying in general of the whole system as a whole because everything is apart of gods system and was put there to be sustained or eaten its like a file on your computer you delete it to make space dosent necessarily mean your evil for making space and deleting your poor little file dose it? no because you can always make a new one fact is when you boil down to the nuts and bolts every living entity is energy and the energy is just driving a car (your body) when you kill something to eat or somthing dose you your very much still alive your being is anyways now as far as your conciousness being ntacked when you move on thats a whole level of study that has never been penetrated in my opinion ... we are only part of a whole the illusion of individuality is the sole creator of the cruelty that you percive and is only as strong as you allow it too be nside your mind i hope i help with your concious debate over having to consume other beings GL on your journey friend

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

double post
edit on 17-2-2013 by GRS1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains

Don't feel too bad lol some plants eat insects, I think there is one that eats rats and mice and stuff too. Everything's works harmoniously in the circle of life in the natural world. Purpose for living=food for something else. We kind of removed ourself from the circle and abuse it.

wifi pretty much sumed it up where as i was long winded about it lol

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by notasdumbasyou

PROVE IT! YOU CAN'T! You know why you can't? Because it & you are a lie...

Please, tell me about this awe inspiring plant that has evolved...out of tons and tons, it should be easy to name one, right? Does it have a name?

Tell me about the part of the plant that is responsible for evolving...tell me what coding the plant has that allows this, you can't.

Is it just one type of plant that can evolve? Why or why not? What did it evolve FROM? What conditions were needed? What nutrients? What amount of sunlight or dark period? What amount of stress was needed? What about the species it "evolved" from, where is it? How long does it take to evolve? How come it isn't observable in nature or in a lab?

The ignorance is strong with you...and you have been denied!

lol your a... nvm look at the ats slogan and research darwin brother you are very delusional you want scientific proof of evolution well then go look for it im sure you can find it somewhere take in mind that it is just a well known theory thats regarded to beng true, Where not debating evolution that much is pretty much a fact on this thread more like common sense i wanna know how the plants think and have a concisouness whether is be like out sleeping dormant subconciouss or a fully awake and aware being in one form of plant you wanna bash somebody go to youtube or facebook next time you have an urge to disagree with some one try not to look so pompus that would help fyi

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Plant evolution sounds as nutty as a fruit cake to me. The only logical answer is intelligent design. There is a pattern to everything. Do patterns in Nature evolve or does evolution follow patterns? No! The evolutionists maintain evolution just 'happens' because they don't recognize an intelligence in Nature, how could they and remain honest?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Shema

yes i like how your thinking but why cant you bridge the two? im not talking about natural selection in general but rather intellegent design in the form of evolution and many other varying aspects of this cosmic egg we live in called earth intellegent design is there no doubt look at spirals and other things in the earth and calculate them to the golden ratio or golden spiral intellegent is there no doubt but what are the mechanics could evolution play a part there or not? i think evolution has a major impact my two cents well this is wifis thread i gotta stop commenting on it lol this is just a very interestng subject to me

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GRS1234
reply to post by Shema

yes i like how your thinking but why cant you bridge the two? im not talking about natural selection in general but rather intellegent design in the form of evolution and many other varying aspects of this cosmic egg we live in called earth intellegent design is there no doubt look at spirals and other things in the earth and calculate them to the golden ratio or golden spiral intellegent is there no doubt but what are the mechanics could evolution play a part there or not? i think evolution has a major impact my two cents well this is wifis thread i gotta stop commenting on it lol this is just a very interestng subject to me

life, following the course of a pattern in slow time would and no doubt does appear as if it is evolving. If you deny the intelligent design factor all you have left is a theory of evolution. Thing is evolution simply does not stack up on its own despite the faithful insisting that it does.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shema

life, following the course of a pattern in slow time would and no doubt does appear as if it is evolving. If you deny the intelligent design factor all you have left is a theory of evolution. Thing is evolution simply does not stack up on its own despite the faithful insisting that it does.

i agree

edit on 17-2-2013 by GRS1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't know that ALL plants are intelligent, just like I can't be sure ALL humans are intelligent. I suppose no onw will ever know. I have on occasion found that inhaling smoke from the remains of plants has at times produced 'bursts' of creativity in my own intelligence, go figure ! ! ! ! !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join