It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Handy Tool for Calculating the Position and Orientation of the Moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
After a couple weeks of work, I have completed an implementation of "Lunar Tables and Programs" published in 1991 by Michelle Chapront-Touzé and Jean Chapront of France. I then took the position of the moon relative to the center of the earth (calculated using their method from the tables) and went further with it by converting into topocentric coordinates for a given location and also included functions to compensate for atmospheric refraction, calculate the phase angle and calculate the orientation relative to the local horizon. The output is all numerical as opposed to the visual output of programs like Stellarium, and unlike stellarium you can see the formulas all right there in front of you.

You can get the spreadsheet here:
www.filedropper.com...
edit on 15-2-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Tagging on here to read this later sounds useful!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Patched version 1:
www.filedropper.com...
There was a bug with quadrant disambiguation in the azimuth that could cause erroneous values for azimuth in some cases.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

I was told that the file didn't work when downloaded from that link, so here's an alternative link (also fixed another disambiguation bug):
dropcanvas.com...
edit on 16-2-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Here's a new version which includes precession to J2000.0, which is standard for most programs and telescopes:

dropcanvas.com...

new topics

top topics

join