It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror at 27,000ft: How jet door 'blew open and crew plugged gap with blankets' on Airbus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

Wasn't there a Mythbusters episode that completly debunked the idea of people getting "sucked out" of a plane during explosive decompression?

If I remember rightly, even with the biggest hole punched into the fuselage, the most you'd have suffered, is a ruffled hairstyle.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Reply to post by goou111

At first it sounded as if the door went completely. Then I read it was open an inch or so... I know nothing of airplanes and have never flown (except in a small 4 passenger plane, that I actually got a chance to fly myself) but at 27,000 feet, terrifying! It makes sense that they could plug the hole if it was only open an inch or so. I'm glad everything turned out ok for these people.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BMorris

No, Mythbusters proved that a bullet hole is not going to blow out the side of the plane, or suck you out. A big enough hole (and trust me, it doesn't have to be very big) is going to suck you out. Unless you are already strapped in, or you are able to wrap yourself in something securely attached to the aircraft, you're going out, no matter who you are.

There have been numerous cases of people getting sucked out during explosive decompression. I know of two that survived (although I believe one was an in flight break up, so I'm not sure that counts). Unfortunately, you usually don't. We had one aircraft that had a window that was about 3-4 inches wide, by about 9 inches long blow out, and pull a crew member through it. He didn't go all the way out, so the crew had to fly most of the way across the Atlantic with his body wedged in the window.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
update
Emirates airline: A380 doors did not open
www.thenational.ae...

ABU DHABI // Emirates airline issued a statement assuring the public that no lives were at risk during an Emirates flight between Bangkok and Hong Kong on Monday, February 11

The statement was made in response to a passenger interviewed in the UK media who claimed that a door had opened on an Emirates A380 airbus at 27,000 feet.

At no time during the flight did one of the upper deck doors open," said an Emirates spokesperson

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Like I said, the guy interviewed way oversensationalised things. Most likely it was a bad door seal. Either the door didn't seal right, or the seal ripped, and that allowed the leak. The door doesn't have to open to allow air to escape and the aircraft to depressurize.

<< 1   >>

join