It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban Cigarretes? Nay, ban alcohol! Alcohol causes 20,000 cancer deaths in the U.S. annually

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

Well, if you have no evidence then I won't "believe" you. It's not about belief, it's about knowing. Facts are facts and they should be the deciding factor. Either way, simply because I am destined to die does not mean I should take unnecessary risk. You do no need an outside agent to cough as you can will yourself to do that quite easily. If you like to smoke just say "I like to smoke" and be done with it. My opinion on the matter is of no consequence.
edit on 15-2-2013 by antonia because: added a thought
there is no such thing as fact, and thats a fact. Your thoughts have consequence. I like drinking.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Is this brought to us by the same people that tell us saturated fat is bad for us? Which most of us know by now is a crock of baloney.
edit on 15-2-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A few thoughts come to mind on this subject and feel the need to say that I am not a proponent of the "Ban". To my mind there are also some fundamental differences between cigarettes the way most people experience them and tobacco. Tobacco is a member of the nightshade family and many nightshades are beneficial not only when ingested but it has been used and still is used ( in my neck of the woods anyway) as a companion plant in gardens and for pest control around the house. Its a great insect repellent and works topically for rashes and that sort of thing and works similar to cortisone creams. If we can try to wade through the layers of propaganda, we can see that there are harmful effects of the habitual use of anything, there are real benefits that are helpful from a mental heath standpoint. The first link is a University of Louisiana study on the anti cancer properties of nicotine. and the second is a link to a JAMA study on the apparent benefits of nicotine to improve cognitive function in people who have schizophrenia.

www.ulm.edu...

archpsyc.jamanetwork.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Why not ban both? Are we that susceptible?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by BlindBastards

How much is a slab? Here it's up to 24 for a 24 pack, it's nuts.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by pennylemon

One positive thing I can say about being a smoker. Mayflies and mosquitos are crazy up here, they fly in formation, lighting a smoke while outside is better than Off spray

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by pennylemon

One positive thing I can say about being a smoker. Mayflies and mosquitos are crazy up here, they fly in formation, lighting a smoke while outside is better than Off spray

Yes, one rolled leaf provides a no mosquito zone. I would rather have that than be dowsed in poison spray. Like I was saying, I'm not a proponent of banning anything except perhaps behaviors that harm or infringe on another in certain circumstances. And we do have laws for that already.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizzijr

Susceptible to what ? Do you mean, are we too addicted to ban ?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Why not just ban everything then? I mean, we are susceptible to driving with distraction; even pre-cell phone days. We are susceptible to being clumsy every now and then; ban clumsiness. We are susceptible to making a poor choice; ban poor choices -- better yet, ban choice and create a bureaucracy in which we petition them to be able to make a choice.

ETA: Come to think of it, we are susceptible to banning things that shouldn't be banned so we should ban banning behavior.

These aren't serious but are meant to draw out your context and reasoning behind your quip.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
They'll never seriously try to ban alcohol again. Alcohol makes you apathetic and stupid. TPTB like apathetic and stupid.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Am I the only person who thinks they should make sex illegal next?

This is a 2nd line.

Edit: Should be obvious sarcasm...
edit on 16-2-2013 by Anundeniabletruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We need intoxicants to numb ourselves from the bad government to survive! Take away the self-medicating and you're going to have a lot of very sober angry people. That's more dangerous than the intoxicated politically-angry kind, because when they are drunk, at least you can blame the booze.

Have you not noticed that in some countries right now, where liquor is prohibited, most of the adult males of the population resort to other forms of filling their time, like crime, religious extremism, protesting unto rebellion, and making war? Sometimes, alcohol drinking is a variety of protest, where an individual protests from participating in more sober civil engagement activities.

Maybe some liquor-free zones, like the roads, universities, and places of work would be good. But I just can't imagine prohibition 2.0 ever taking flight. Alcoholic beverages are a universal human cultural thing. If you must become totalitarian over the drink, releasing another intoxicant from legal captivity would be ideal. This means if you take away the alcohol, then either coc aine or marijuana ought to become legal again in the US, I think.

I think it's a misled research on alcohol. Maybe alcoholism causes the deaths more than the alcohol. Everything in moderation.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anundeniabletruth
Am I the only person who thinks they should make sex illegal next?

This is a 2nd line.

I think this has been done, as not all sexual acts between consenting adults are considered legal, in the US anyway.

Ahh, when sarcasm becomes reality.
edit on 16-2-2013 by pennylemon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Why not just ban everything then? I mean, we are susceptible to driving with distraction; even pre-cell phone days. We are susceptible to being clumsy every now and then; ban clumsiness. We are susceptible to making a poor choice; ban poor choices -- better yet, ban choice and create a bureaucracy in which we petition them to be able to make a choice.

ETA: Come to think of it, we are susceptible to banning things that shouldn't be banned so we should ban banning behavior.

These aren't serious but are meant to draw out your context and reasoning behind your quip.
edit on 15-2-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

Oh geeze, come on lol. We make everything for a purpose. Automobiles were created to get from one point to another at a faster pace. Mistakes are bound to happen, but it serves a good purpose no doubt. Cigarettes were made purely for the money, the "effects" it give, I believe is purely a placebo effect. Alcohol has been around as an accident since forever. That probably won't go anywhere ever. But if we are going to sit around and think about which one to give up why not try and do away with both? They're both bad. Why choose the lesser of two evils when you don't have to?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Oh geeze, come on lol. [/quote]

Me thinks you didn't see the facetiousness of the post...

Why choose the lesser of two evils when you don't have to?

Why choose either? This question should be left up to the lowest form of Government to decide; not a National (as shown disastrous by the 18th Amendment).

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I really wish they'd ban 'banning'! I was born free, hopefully I'll get to die free, and I get to make my own decisions. That's what being an adult in many parts of the world is supposed to be. If you are lucky enough to make it to adulthood, then your on your own, and you try not to screw it up! I have no problem going and smoking whatever I feel like smoking in some place that doesn't bother the non-smokers. FINE!. I leave you alone, you leave me alone, and we honor each others boundries. I suggest a world wide ban on banning banners who ban big time!

edit on 18/2/2013 by CarbonBase because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FriedBabelBroccoli

For the HIV thing, google "House of Numbers". Because, people been living a lie since the 1980s. It's a scam.
Especially the fraudulent tests. It's a war on the mind.

Anyway, people only live once. And if they want to drink, let them drink. But, as long as it don't harm anyone.
Let people enjoy themselves.

By the way, this is my first post on abovetopsecret.com, so thank you people!!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join