It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travelling the world without a passport, any tips?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

How much coin are you thinking of taking?

I live in Thailand and have been thinking of buying a moped and riding back to blighty. Your no PP idea sounds wicked. How long do you think the journey would take you?

I wish you luck, mate. Sounds like a really effin cool adventure.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
My only tip, personally, is not to do it.

I have traveled using a passport and found plenty of adventure. I didnt have to look hard or anything, it was just there to be had. There are plenty of adventures to be had that dont involve breaking the law in countries where you really dont want to end up in jail. If its the element of danger you are looking for, try out proximity flying or solo cave diving. Much more risky, yet to me, significantly less stupid.

A similar adventure would be running up to a cop and assaulting them, then try to get away! It will, like, totally be extreme.

That said, people can only hope that mistakes made in the younger years are lessons learned that can be implemented later in life. Some at a younger age do not get the opportunity to learn from their mistakes. If you make it to the years where you can actually look back a little, you will be surprised at how many stupid things you have done. I sure look back on some of the things I did for the sake of "adventure." Some of them were mind-blowingly ill-prepared, to say the least.

I am also aware of the general attitude in those years, and am quite certain you wont listen to anyone on it except those who confirm your bias and encourage what you already want to do. I truly wish you the best of luck, and hope it will turn out as you hope.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Seriously bad idea, but please post your journal anyway. We can all speculate whether you are either dead or locked up when it comes to an abrupt halt.

Do you think the local police and underclass will gather round the new T.E. Laurence and rejoice at your majestic bravado.
Without a valid passport or ID, what embassy shall they contact. I'll tell you...

The embassy of DEATH!!!

Without an ID or any record of you entering the country, what will you mean to them? Probably nothing at all, except for what they can steal from your backpack.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
OP the fact that you considered traveling illegally into Iran via Pakistan and India tells me that you're a fantasist who isn't nearly smart enough to pull this trip off. You're lack of understanding regarding the world you plan on traveling across is unreal.
The idea that a few Australian dollars is going to be enough to get you out of the SH** you'll be in if the Iranians or Paks catch you hiking across their borders illegally is laughable and even assuming you made your way across you clearly have no appreciation for just how incredibly challenging many of the climbs you'd be making are, even for experts, and how much a starry eyed and evidently extremely naive white guy is going to stand out off the tourist routes in Pakistan or anywhere in Iran.
The top route is doable but certainly not by you. This thread is a complete joke. Take the advice of somebody who has visited several of these countries and give it up or take your trip legally after a huge amount of planning and maybe learning a couple of languages.
I know this may sound overly harsh but somebody needs to be the voice of reason because this thread can basically be distilled down to "I plan on killing myself". If you're very lucky you might just end up in prison but do you have any idea what would happen to an Australian backpacker in prison in most of these countries because ass rape is just the beginning.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Arkady because: addition

Ive seen plenty of the world, especially in the neck of the woods I plan on travelling, I would love to go via Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran but I realise its not really an option.
I know for a fact that getting to India will be fairly easy as borders around this region are fairly porous.

As for the rest I guess well just have to see.

It amazes me how defeatist alot of the comments have been, I personally subscribe to the "Where theres a will theres a way" philosophy towards life

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lazernation

How much coin are you thinking of taking?

I live in Thailand and have been thinking of buying a moped and riding back to blighty. Your no PP idea sounds wicked. How long do you think the journey would take you?

I wish you luck, mate. Sounds like a really effin cool adventure.

In terms of actual physical cash Im not sure, Ive got the finanaces to do it properly but I plan on roughing it and I hope to only spend what I can make. Ill keep $1000 Euro or $US hidden on me for emergencies but other than that I hope to not use my bankcard to often, Im pretty sure Ill have the money to get myself out of all but the very worst of situations.

My first thought was actually to do a drive from Singapore to England but then I saw it was fairly common.
Im not sure how long it would take but Im hoping to stretch it over a year and plan to stay at least a week in each country I pass through.

Good to see a couple of other free spirited adventurous types respond

Thanks for the encouragement dude

P.s where in Thailand you at? The land of smiles will be my first stop, lets grab a beer

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Can you list your itinerary, please?

We could have a sweepstake on ATS as to in which one of the 'Stans' you meet your demise.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Cheers dude

Im in my 30s and have done some stupid stuff. I dont actually see this as stupid, I consider myself a citizen of the world and other than not having a passport I will be respectful of every other law of any country I enter.

Its an adventure yes but the appeal is just to do something different, to have a truly unique, exciting and interesting experience and story to tell. Ill most likely make it into a story or doco when its all done.

Appreciate the concern but Im certain Ill be fine

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Appreciate the concern but Im certain Ill be fine

I have no doubt you are certain. And, apologies, I had incorrectly assumed you were a teenager or early twenties at the oldest. To be blunt, I am a bit surprised you are older than that from reading this thread, and other posts you have made. That isnt meant as an insult, I am just a bit surprised!

Ill just say, from experience, this is not a good idea. Never know exactly how things will go, but being certain about things which have yet come to pass would be misplaced, in my perspective.

Regardless, like I said, I know you wont listen to anyone that doesnt confirm what you already want to do. In that, I wish you the best and hope you get exactly what you want out of it. I have no doubt parts of it will be quite fun, but that goes for everything and anything in life.
Stay safe!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Knobby

LOL

Your post made me laugh.

Ive actually thought about that, my last contact with the world being a post on ATS saying how well everything is going then disappearing off the face of the earth

Ill have my drivers license as ID and will also upload a copy of my PP to email so its there if needed.
There is probably a good chance Ill get robbed but as far as Im concerned thats just part of the experience and I wont be carrying anything valuable or vital so as long as Im not killed its no big deal.

I dont think posting an itinerary would be clever and to be honest I prefer spontaneity so I expect it will change based on what I learn wherever I end up. The only thing I know for certain at this stage is I will be going from Malaysia to Thailand at the end of next month, after that Ill just play it by ear

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think it would be a whole lot easier to just make up stories about your travel experiences to tell people . Hell write a book..no better yet make a documentary. I know you can..i know you can.

The OP first few ideas of what hes not doing and what he wants to do is so unrealistic. It reads like the kind of talk you would hear from a very young child about things they want to do.

HE/she starts with:
"It even crossed my mind to go back to school and maybe study medicine!!!!!

MY COMMENT: This guys all over the board with everything unrealistic he's gonna,wanna do.

You dont just get into medical school without the proper educational accomplishments that in themselves take years. He doesnt appear to have that.

"LOL she comes from a good family and has her own money, not even a slight concern that she wont come through if I need her"
Im leaving my passport and $10K Oz with an Ex GF (one I know I can trust,with money and a passport, wouldnt leave my pets with her though) for any emergencies that may pop up.

MY FIRST COMMENT IS LOL! and I see one reason shes your ex!

MY 2nd COMMENT: What happens if he loses gets his bribe cash taken or has to bribe multiple times during his trip. Then he has nothing left to bribe with. Assuming the bribe would have worked in the first place. Trust? with 10K? uh hu!
What if someone in the post office ,or anywhere along the line,steals it? then what?

"
"having to mix with people smugglers, may even be able to get some names of people involved in slave trafficking to give to authorities."

MY COMMENT : Yet he also states I dont wanna make myself a target for thieves.
Besides ,as soon as he tries to communicate with anyone hell be known far and wide to all the local including beggars and thieves, which includes authorities..Cover blown!
Besides anyone can spot a foriegner especially in the countries he plans on.

Locked up for a day or 2 at most.
Worst case scenario is some light torture if anyone thinks Im a spy LOL "
MY COMMENT: free room and board,well not exactly free. youll have to work induring pain,hunger and just general discomfort.Better bring that sleeping bag too.

"Some of the best things that have happened in my life have come about because of bad ideas (true that MOST of the bad things have been because of bad ideas too but I try to focus on the positive LOL) "

MY COMMENT :people can get away from the consequences of being stupid,making any mistake,even being a criminal,murder etc as long as youre in a "western country esp the uS. Try that in foriegn countries. Third world countries,wow!

This guy likes to talk just to impress everyone. Ultimately its his way of making himself feel better about his lack of significance in his life. All of us are insignificant,though some more than others. That why we make up stories or exaggerate stories in the first place.
Weve all run into people like this and we just roll our eyes and walk away.

The problem is that he cant see how revealing to us he really is.he cant even see our eyes rolling. He cant even notice the contradictions in statements he makes.
Just Let "Darwins theory" take its course.
His genes will be culled sooner than later Ill bet.

let me say in final: In spite of they way i speak of you above,i do know that you cannot help your situation.
Some are born with all the advantages and some arent. Its no ones fault either way. the control in our genetic makeup is beyond our control .
its just too bad there is so much expectations on being successful,beautiful etc!

Dont be stupid and if you must, just make the journey up if you must ....and dont have kids,please!

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Ill just say, from experience, this is not a good idea.

Have you done or heard of something similar?

Not being cheeky just interested.

No offence taken on the young assumption, to be honest I dont really feel like a fully functioning adult anyway, Im not terribly responsible or reliable and have a very nonchalant, spontaneous personality that does come across as teenagerish. That said I owned and ran a very successful consulting firm, have travelled (with PP) extensively and also own my own property in OZ. When necessary I can act and come across as above my years

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
OP the fact that you considered traveling illegally into Iran via Pakistan and India tells me that you're a fantasist who isn't nearly smart enough to pull this trip off. You're lack of understanding regarding the world you plan on traveling across is unreal.
The idea that a few Australian dollars is going to be enough to get you out of the SH** you'll be in if the Iranians or Paks catch you hiking across their borders illegally is laughable and even assuming you made your way across you clearly have no appreciation for just how incredibly challenging many of the climbs you'd be making are, even for experts, and how much a starry eyed and evidently extremely naive white guy is going to stand out off the tourist routes in Pakistan or anywhere in Iran.
The top route is doable but certainly not by you. This thread is a complete joke. Take the advice of somebody who has visited several of these countries and give it up or take your trip legally after a huge amount of planning and maybe learning a couple of languages.
I know this may sound overly harsh but somebody needs to be the voice of reason because this thread can basically be distilled down to "I plan on killing myself". If you're very lucky you might just end up in prison but do you have any idea what would happen to an Australian backpacker in prison in most of these countries because ass rape is just the beginning.
edit on 16-2-2013 by Arkady because: addition

FINALLY someone who put it bluntly!! LOL
To the OP, you must be young and naive. Seriously, give it up......this idea of yours is insane and you may quite possibly be delusional to the EXTREME!
Cheers

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I think the OP is messing with us.

Either that or he is the first person who will intentionally win a Darwin Award.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Have you done or heard of something similar?

Yes, some parts were fun, some not so much. It also created a lot of tension where people who wanted nothing to do with it were cornered and essentially forced into being involved, since they cared about those incarcerated. I wont say anything more on it though. Just make sure that you are the only one that will suffer ANY repercussions or stress from things going bad. Its impossible to do this fully, if anyone cares about you at all, but you can minimize it. And if you dont, I will say that you are very likely to regret such selfishness.

No offence taken on the young assumption, to be honest I dont really feel like a fully functioning adult anyway, Im not terribly responsible or reliable and have a very nonchalant, spontaneous personality that does come across as teenagerish. That said I owned and ran a very successful consulting firm, have travelled (with PP) extensively and also own my own property in OZ. When necessary I can act and come across as above my years

Bolded part: Yes, I noticed that

I dont think I have ever come across someone who is not capable of acting and coming across "above their years" at least for a time. Though, interestingly, I have only ever heard such statements from teenagers. Again, not an insult. In a way, I wouldnt mind experiencing the boldness gained from that attitude again. And hey, at least you dont have to deal with all the hormones and puberty, and all that jazz again!

Seriously though man, stay safe! I am already well-aware you wont listen to any warnings. Kind of inherent with the personality, no? Again, speaking from experience!
edit on 16-2-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PalmSprings

Im somewhere between LMAO and Ouch!!!

You dont just get into medical school without the proper educational accomplishments that in themselves take years. He doesnt appear to have that.

I personally know a 57 year old GP who started studying medicine at 43 and he didnt even finish highschool, very little is unrealistic if you have the drive and motivation to do it.

What happens if he loses gets his bribe cash taken or has to bribe multiple times during his trip. Then he has nothing left to bribe with. Assuming the bribe would have worked in the first place. Trust? with 10K? uh hu! What if someone in the post office ,or anywhere along the line,steals it? then what?

As stated in the OP Ill be carrying my visa debit card and even if I lose it its not difficult to get a replacement even in a 3rd world country (I speak from experience). And yes I trust this girl with 10K, she comes from a wealthy family and I have known her 3 years. Not everyone is out to F*** people over.
I mentioned the pets thing because she hates cats

Yet he also states I dont wanna make myself a target for thieves. Besides ,as soon as he tries to communicate with anyone hell be known far and wide to all the local including beggars and thieves, which includes authorities..Cover blown! Besides anyone can spot a foriegner especially in the countries he plans on.

I dont wanna make mysedlf a target by carrying expensive cameras, watches, phones etc etc.
Im curious, have you ever done any proper travelling, not kontiki tour stuff but genuine of the beaten track travel dealing with locals in these countries? You seem to have a very "White" view of the world in that anywhere that isnt western your most likely gonna end up in a ditch with your throat slit. In my travels I havent found this to be the case

free room and board,well not exactly free. youll have to work induring pain,hunger and just general discomfort.Better bring that sleeping bag too.

Well see I guess, if it happens Ill have no one to blame but myself

people can get away from the consequences of being stupid,making any mistake,even being a criminal,murder etc as long as youre in a "western country esp the uS. Try that in foriegn countries. Third world countries,wow!

OK your American, your post makes sense.
It sounds like you dont know much about the world, its A HELL OF ALOT EASIER to get away with crimes in a 3rd world country than the US or any other western country. Even here in Malaysia which is highly developed police wages are barely above the poverty line, without bribes their families dont eat and they cant afford mistresses. Once past borders I will be sure to not put myself in any dodgy situations.

This guy likes to talk just to impress everyone. Ultimately its his way of making himself feel better about his lack of significance in his life.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, Im no millionaire or celebrity but nor do I want to be. I make good money, I have friends and family who care about me and Im happy, genuinely happy with the cards Ive been dealt.

The problem is that he cant see how revealing to us he really is.he cant even see our eyes rolling. He cant even notice the contradictions in statements he makes.

You must be psychic to know so much about me from a few anonymous psots on a web forum, I would say your projecting as opposed to accurately reading me. I spose well see when I complete the journey, hopefully meeting a few fellow members along the way who can verify Im actually doing it and not just "making up stories" to impress a bunch of people I dont know on an internet forum

In spite of they way i speak of you above,i do know that you cannot help your situation. Some are born with all the advantages and some arent. Its no ones fault either way. the control in our genetic makeup is beyond our control . its just too bad there is so much expectations on being successful,beautiful etc!

I really dont think I would change my "situation" even if I could. Im no Brad pitt but I do OK, In my younger days I represented my state in various sports, won maths and science competitions and posses a high IQ, I think my genetic makeup is just fine. Ive travelled the world with my work and set up and sold a very successful business when I left OZ several years ago.
I dont worry about expectations, my family just wants me to be happy and I dont see sucess as something quantifiable. having money, a career or even a healthy family doesnt necessarily make you a success.

Dont be stupid and if you must, just make the journey up if you must ....and dont have kids,please!

Despite the way you put things Ill believe your hearts in the right place, Thanks for taking the time to repond

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

FINALLY someone who put it bluntly!! LOL To the OP, you must be young and naive. Seriously, give it up......this idea of yours is insane and you may quite possibly be delusional to the EXTREME! Cheers

Im prepared to make any sort of bet with anyone who thinks Im full of it or it cant be done.

Wanna take me up on the offer?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

I think the OP is messing with us.

Either that or he is the first person who will intentionally win a Darwin Award.

LOL well see

Ill bet you $1000 bucks I make it at least to the border of Europe unscathed

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Trying to subsidize your travel expenses?

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Sounds interesting, if its just you dont wanna put info on a public forum Id love to receive a U2U with more info.

The acting above my years part is in reference to work, In my early 20s working independantly I would often go for contracts against large companies with almost limitless resources. I had to convince potential clients I was a good bet and make them assume I was older/more experienced than I actually was to give them a sense of security.

Im hearing what your saying in terms of other people being affected by my actions. Thats my only concern, if I do get locked up or worse how it would affect my mum. Ive told her I plan to travel just not the no PP part.
Bad things can and do happen everywhere and worrying about them all is no way to live in my opinion.

Many on this site go on about "freedom" to me thats doing what you want as long as you dont hurt others, this journey for me is an expression of my god given right to freedom.

Sounds like you miss be irresponsible and carefree, pack a bag and come join me for the adventure, recapture that lost youth

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   

How on earth am I going to collect when you are dead in the gutter with all your belongings taken from you.

With no ID, you will just be a dead body and the local Law enforcement will spend oodles of time trying to identify you (perhaps they will be the ones to do you in)

Or taking one of those dodgy fishing boats you refer to, there will likely be no body at all, just dumped over the side to feed the fishes.

But all this is moot. How do you intend to prove that you did this?

Think I'm an idiot, do you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join