It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Each Presidential candidate spent more than it would cost to track incoming asteroids

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I know this will soon get buried under the torrent of other Russian meteorite threads, but maybe someone else will read it.

I just wanted to point out that Barrack and Mitt each raised and spent almost a billion dollars in their attempts to buy the Office, while NASA is begging for 300 million annually to try and detect these types of objects, hopefully in time for an evacuation.

There are countless other fruitless endeavors that money and resources are being wasted on which could have mitigated the damages from such an event.

We hear astronomers say it all the time, that we live in a cosmic shooting gallery and it's only a matter of time till we get hit. Well, here you go. This one wasn't even that big and it injured a thousand people.

See you guys on the other side.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
at least the priorities are straight...

Some what relevant

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

I don't understand why it cost so much?

They couldn't possibly have spent that much money, wonder where the stash what is left.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am actually doing my dissertation on why we need to switch presidential terms to 1-seven year term as opposed to 2-four year terms.

This campaign spending is one of the major issues. The elections are all about money now and it corrupts our government.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Your confusion is warranted. While each candidate raised almost a billion dollars each, they didn't quite spend it all.

Each made out with about 30 mill.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

That's cool. I have a paper in Philosophy coming up where I have to lay out my ideal future society. My wife and I both agree campaign finance is one area that needs to be completely rethought. It's really out of control.

What is your dissertation for? I need to pick a major soon.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Well with mass media and all, one would think that some poor but honest SOB, could get elected with a few bucks and a good youtube video.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I alwways say, they should each get 3 months and 50 million dollars. And no, it is not enough, but I figure anyone who can get themselves elected with that can handle the job.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

NASA is now going to other countries and asking them to start putting money into the NEO programs, so they can put more eyes to the sky so to speak.

So I am not totally against not giving them funding, why should the US have to pay for it all?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I'd rather the money was invested in space exploration and almost anything but political campaigns. Yeah, tracking asteroids would be something although the Kepler Mission is closer to where my heart lies. The pursuit of knowledge adds more benefits to society than TV air-time or bickering ratbags looking after their own interests. A very small minority of politicians make a positive difference; possibly 1 in 1000s? So why should so much money gravitate in their direction?

As I was reading the posts, Bill Hicks' comments came to mind and (yeah) I know they're kind of naive but sum up how a lot of people feel about money wasted on politicians and wars...

Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.

Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
Bill Hicks wikiquote

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Its for my doctorate degree, if they ever let me actually start it that is.

Hopefully next year I can begin the real work.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Congratulations!

This topic and thread has been chosen to be discussed by the ATS LIVE crew this Saturday night between 6-9pm pst (9-12 est), as part of this weeks exciting "Turbo Topics" segment.

We are running 256kbps through the ATS Player but we now run a 32kbps stream for those of you with slower connections and there are also options to listen via other players on our relay site at Illustrial Website. You can also connect to the low bandwidth stream by clicking here to listen to the ATSLive Radio Show on ShoutCast

For more information and past shows, be sure to check out the ATSLive Show Threads Here.

Hope you'll listen in to the show!
Johnny

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Well with mass media and all, one would think that some poor but honest SOB, could get elected with a few bucks and a good youtube video.

Very naive! Its not about that, there there for there business interests and to make money, all the money they put it they will expect it back and then some, government is a business and there in the business of managing peoples, human resources. Its simple really, its a cash cow and you have to be in the club to first get your foot in the door. People need there idols, they sell hopes and dreams in the form of ways and means conducive to there bottom dollar.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Its not about that, there there for there business interests...

Wow. That is...incredible. If you did that on purpose, that's pretty funny. But, look it's not a big deal I guess, but this is how it works:

They're in there with their bear.

They're there for their business interests.

new topics

top topics

join