It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Commandments - Doctrine of Men

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Most people already know this, but for the sake of those who are new here, I'll post the facts on this. The 10 Commandments – doctrine of men from pagan cultures.

2600 BC – Egyptian Book of the Dead is written.
2100 BC – The Code of Ur-Nammu (Summerian)
1770 BC – The Code of Hammurabi
1490 BC – 10 Commandments

All pretty much state the same thing … Do not kill, do not commit adultery, do no steal, do not lie, so not falsely accuse others, do not go against whatever god or gods are named. Sure, it's all good stuff to live by and helps keep civilization in tact (which is the purpose of the laws). But, those that adhere to the 10 Commandments claim they came directly from the hand of God. Did they? Not likely.

Moses was an Egyptian prince and he learned in the best schools that the world had at that time. The Egyptian libraries were renown. Moses would have intimately known the Egyptian Book of the Dead, as well as the Code of Ur-Nammu and the Code of Hammurabi. So when it came time to set the rules down for the Jews, Moses wrote what he knew from the Egyptian Book of the Dead; the Code of Ur-Nammu; and the Code of Hammurabi and incorporated the Jewish God into the rules. Oh .. and then claimed that God Himself had given him the commandments. The uneducated peasants ate it up and, from then on, gave their unquestioning loyalty to Moses.

Ahmed Osman – Out of Egypt

There seems to be a similarity between the moral codes of the ancient Egyptians and the early Israelites. The Ten Commandments given by God to Moses on the top of Mount Sinai are clearly set in an Egyptian tradition and would seem to have common roots with the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Except for the first two commandments, we find the same moral rules in the Hebrew Bible that are also found in the Egyptian hieroglyphic writings. Egyptian religion was a polytheistic belief, and hundreds of gods and goddesses were worshiped in the Nile valley.

The Egyptian Book of the Dead, Chapter 125 etc -

" I have not reviled the God.
I have not laid violent hands on an orphan.
I have not done what the God abominates . . .
I have not killed; I have not turned anyone over to a killer.
I have not caused anyone's suffering . . .
I have not copulated (illicitly); I have not been unchaste.
I have not increased nor diminished the measure, I have not diminished the palm; I have not encroached upon the fields.
I have not added to the balance weights; I have not tempered with the plumb bob of the balance.
I have not taken milk from a child's mouth; I have not driven small cattle from their herbage...
I have not stopped (the flow of) water in its seasons; I have not built a dam against flowing water.
I have not quenched a fire in its time . . .
I have not kept cattle away from the God's property.
I have not blocked the God at his processions.

Protestants and Catholics use different 10 Commandments .. but for the discussion it is unimportant which is used.

The 10 Commandments -
1. I am the LORD your God. You shall worship the Lord your God and Him only shall you serve.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the Sabbath day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

Comparison of Egyptian and Hebrew Texts

Comparing another translation of the Book with the King James Version of Exodus:

Book of the Dead: "I have done away sin for thee and not acted fraudulently or deceitfully. I have not belittled God. I have not inflicted pain or caused another to weep. I have not murdered or given such an order. I have not used false balances or scales. I have not purloined (held back) the offerings to the gods. I have not stolen. I have not uttered lies or curses."

Exodus 20:7-16: "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain....Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not commit adultery...Thou shalt not bear false witness against they neighbor..." 6,7

10 Commandments/Egyptian Book of the Dead

the Book of the Dead originates at least from 2600 BCE with many versions following. They contain instructions for life after death, a sort of manual. The Hebrew version (10 commandments) originates also IN Egypt (1490 BCE Hebrew exodus from Egypt).
- the main difference is that the Hebrew version is shorter, the 42 gods are replaced by 1 god and the sabbath has been added. This version has been passed on to the Christain community totally disregarding the fact that they took a selective chapter out of the book of death. It is a good management summary for a small set of people endulged in a thousands of year old civilization.

The truth of the matter is that Moses didn’t get the 10 commandments from the hand of God … he got them from inside his own head because he had been schooled in them in other forms as a high priest and prince in Egypt.

The 10 Commandments are man made and therefore are a human doctrine.

Congratulations to anyone following the 10 Commandments and/or who insist on Sabbath worship based on the 10 Commandments .. you follow the doctrines of men from pagan cultures.

edit on 2/15/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Don't forget about the original ten commandments that Moses broke in his rage!

1. Make no contracts with the people in the land where you are going.
2. Destroy the altars and icons of the people in the land where you are going.
3. Make no molten gods.
4. Keep the feast of unleavened bread.
5. All firstborn sons are mine, as are the firstborn among your sheep and cattle. They must be sacrificed to me or redeemed by sacrificing another animal in its place.
6. On the 7th day thou shalt rest. And during earing time and harvest you shall rest.
7. Three times a year your boys shall all appear before the Lord.
8. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
9. The sacrifice of the Passover shall not be left over till morning.
10. Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother's milk.

These hold very little resemblance to the second set that Moses brought back.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Is there any actual Egyptian historical record of a sizeable Jewish population around the supposed time of Moses? How do we really know Moses was an Egyptian prince?

I know we have records of the dynastic families/pharaohs in Egypt -- is Moses's name listed among the royal lineages?

Now, if the Jewish people were living in Egypt and left ... wouldn't their DNA be very similar if not the same as the Egyptians? So wouldn't early Jewish people simply be Egytians that chose to believe in a monotheistic system and left?

ETA: I was watching a documentary on my DV-R about the exodus, and these questions were popping up in my head. I mean, we have the OT account, but what about an account from the Egyptian perspective?
edit on 15-2-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The laws and commandments which are present in most, if not all, civilized cultures are the product of wisdom.

If I may make a bold assertion, wisdom is a gift which comes directly from God.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Now, if the Jewish people were living in Egypt and left ... wouldn't their DNA be very similar if not the same as the Egyptians? So wouldn't early Jewish people simply be Egytians that chose to believe in a monotheistic system and left?

In the laws of the Hebrew tribe, breeding with outsiders was forbidden (except in the case of captured slaves, however the Egyptians were the dominant culture in this case), however this certainly wouldn't exclude the possibility of some breeding between Egyptians and Hebrews. This would no doubt be mitigated to some extent by ostracizing any Hebrew who had bred with an Egyptian, but I would guess that some Egyptian blood made its way into the Hebrew bloodline.
edit on 15/2/2013 by Glass because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

Okay, that makes some sense about non-interbreeding...

However, where did the Hewbrews and Egyptians come from in the first place? Didn't both societies emerge out of the same geographical area? Before either group claimed a nationality, wouldn't they have been interbreeding for tens of thousands of years?

ETA: I'm looking at this from an anthropological angle, not an Old Testement/Torah/insert-name-of-holy-book-here angle.
edit on 15-2-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

It would appear that the Egyptians and Hebrews come from the Sumerians. The Hebrews left Egypt and adapted its hieroglyphic writings and made them into letters as they settled and labeled themselves Canaanites, as time passed they became know as Hebrews..

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

What Sabbath are you talking about Saturday or Sunday?

Are you referring to Sunday?

I see the paganism in the churches and i do agree that most have been brainwashed by tradition and being blind to it.
The world has been destroyed by God at least three times, and i believe this one of the snares that have many followers on path that is ungodly.
They all have the rules to follow and it was handed down by God through man but sadly they followed ungodly practices. and unlike Sumerians they witnessed the fallen angels and the deception on man had begun.

Satan was still able to go through earth and heaven freely and was not banished as of yet,
God allowed Satan to Test Job

6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came among them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “From where have you come?” Satan answered the Lord and said, “From going to and fro on the earth, and from walking up and down on it.”

was he really testing Job or planting seeds of doubt on humanity.
edit on 15-2-2013 by WarriorOfLight96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
The laws and commandments which are present in most, if not all, civilized cultures are the product of wisdom.
If I may make a bold assertion, wisdom is a gift which comes directly from God.

If you want to make a blanket statement like that then you must not only accept that the Egyptian Book of the Dead (which gave homage to the Pagan gods), but also the Catholic Church doctrines and the Buddhist philosohies are all 'from God' as well. Even when they contradict each other and when they call for worship of pagan gods.

Bottom line ... God didn't appear to Moses and hand him 10 Commandments .. Moses got it from his training in Egypt and the 10 Commandments are from MUCH older civilizations. Moses took the commandments from the older civilizations and made them easier for the Jews to understand .. condensing them into 10 easy to remember laws.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarriorOfLight96
What Sabbath are you talking about?

10 Commandments .. keep holy the sabbath ...

The 10 commandments are a doctrine of men.
Therefore, 'keep holy the sabbath' is a doctrine of men as well.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I added to my comment and stated that holy Sabbath day is on Saturday and most of the followers know it was changed but still follow a pagan God and some don't even know it or acknowledge it even to this day.

Sol Invictus ("Unconquered Sun") was the official sun god of the later Roman Empire and a patron of soldiers. In 274 the Roman emperor Aurelian made it an official cult alongside the traditional Roman cults. Scholars disagree whether the new deity was a refoundation of the ancient Latin cult of Sol,[1] a revival of the cult of Elagabalus[2] or completely new.[3] The god was favoured by emperors after Aurelian and appeared on their coins until Constantine.[4] The last inscription referring to Sol Invictus dates to 387 AD[5] and there were enough devotees in the 5th century that Augustine found it necessary to preach against them.[6]

Hence the Name Sunday, boy that Satan has so many tricks to blind a mans eye and cause man to disobey God even though they don't know it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
Don't forget about the original ten commandments that Moses broke in his rage!

1. Make no contracts with the people in the land where you are going.
2. Destroy the altars and icons of the people in the land where you are going.
3. Make no molten gods.
4. Keep the feast of unleavened bread.
5. All firstborn sons are mine, as are the firstborn among your sheep and cattle. They must be sacrificed to me or redeemed by sacrificing another animal in its place.
6. On the 7th day thou shalt rest. And during earing time and harvest you shall rest.
7. Three times a year your boys shall all appear before the Lord.
8. Thou shalt not offer the blood of my sacrifice with leaven.
9. The sacrifice of the Passover shall not be left over till morning.
10. Thou shalt not boil a kid in its mother's milk.

These hold very little resemblance to the second set that Moses brought back.

No, if I'm not mistaken those are the 10 commandments which were carved on the second set of stones which were placed in the Ark of the Convenant. He broke the first set, which everybody quotes nowadays. You can win many a bar bet by asking what is the 10th commandment of the stone tablets that are in the ark.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The 10 commandments are a doctrine of men.
Therefore, 'keep holy the sabbath' is a doctrine of men as well.

According to the Bible

Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from all his work of creation.

This was the second institution God made in Eden, the first being marriage. It suggests that it is very important to God as it is a memorial to Him as our Creator. If it is true then that God did set this up from the beginning of civilization then there should be some evidence for it then huh amongst ancient civilizations. Well unfortunately for you FF, trying to turn people away from trusting the worth of God's Word there is evidence of this.

This Chart of the Week is over a hundred years old. It was prepared by Dr. William Meade Jones, a research expert in London, England. Well over a hundred languages prove that the week, everywhere, has seven days;—and that, in most languages, the native word for the seventh day is "Sabbath" (which means "rest" or "rest day") or "rest day."

Jones, a well-known British researcher, decided that since Scripture clearly shows that the Bible Sabbath was first given to mankind at the end of Creation Week, then two important facts would have had to be known throughout the ancient world: First, a fixing of the seven-day weekly cycle on a worldwide basis and, second, an ancient worldwide knowledge of the seventh-day Sabbath.Chart of the Week

Go to sourced link to find a clearer image of the table

All these ancient civilizations the same, the only day of the week recognized as having any importance, that being the seventh day, called the Sabbath Day by them all

"The human race never lost the septenary [seven day] sequence of week days and that the Sabbath of these latter times comes down to us from Adam, though the ages, without a single lapse."—Dr. Totten, professor of astronomy at Yale University.

"Seven has been the ancient and honored number among the nations of the earth. They have measured their time by weeks from the beginning. The origin of this was the Sabbath of God, as Moses has given the reasons for it in his writings."—Dr. Lyman Coleman.

"There has been no change in our calendar in past centuries that has affected in any way the cycle of the week."—James Robertson, Director American Ephemeris, Navy Department, U.S. Naval Observatory, Washington, D.C., March 12, 1932.

"It can be said with assurance that not a day has been lost since Creation, and all the calendar changes notwithstanding, there has been no break in the weekly cycle."—Dr. Frank Jeffries, Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and Research Director of the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, England.

--------------------
Exodus 5:5 And Pharaoh said, Behold, the people of the land now are many, and ye make them rest [strongs #7673] from their burdens.

Exodus 5:5 'rest' Strong's #7673 'shabbat', found used in Genesis 2:2

7673. shâbath shaw-bath'; a primitive root; to repose, i.e. desist from exertion; used in many implied relations (causative, figurative or specific):—(cause to, let, make to) cease, celebrate, cause (make) to fail, keep (sabbath), suffer to be lacking, leave, put away (down), (make to) rest, rid, still, take away.

Strong, James (2011-05-14). Strong's Hebrew Dictionary of the Bible (Strong's Dictionary) (Kindle Locations 29062-29066). Miklal Software Solutions, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Do you think keeping the Sabbath is an important thing to God? The story in Exodus chapter 5 is that the reason God sent the 10 plagues upon Egypt is that Pharaoh created a civil law that prevented the ancient Hebrews from keeping the Sabbath (that they were already doing before receiving the 10 commandments on stone). It will also be the cause for people to receive the 7 plagues in Revelation 16, it is called Hebrew parallelism.

And we all know what happened when the God of the Hebrew faces the gods of the Egyptian religion.

The whole Egyptian army with chariots destroyed and ruined along the length of the underwater Red Sea land bridge that links up to the Arabian Peninsula.

Evidence of the 10th Plague (death of all the first born)

The Bible tells us that all the first-born in Egypt died in the last plague. On returning to Egypt, he would have found not only the Israelites gone, but he would have also found his father dead, and his first-born son killed in the plague. One can now understand the emotion felt by Amenhotep that caused such a violent outburst.

The next pharaoh to rule was Tutmoses IV, who was the second born son of Amenhotep II. According to succession rights, the first-born should have become pharaoh, but he died. To explain this apparent anomaly, there is an inscription on the Sphinx telling the story of how the second-born son became pharaoh in the place of the first-born. Apparently, Tutmoses IV was resting between the legs of the Sphinx when he heard a voice telling him to clear the sand from between the legs, and the Sphinx would see to it that he, rather than the first-born, would be the next pharaoh. An unlikely story, and another demonstration of attempts to cloud the issue, so that the embarrassment should not be made public to the descendants.
source

Even if Christians dismiss the overwhelming evidence from history, the 10 commandments are still spelled out in the New Testament as well As this link attests

The most obvious verse in the NT on the Sabbath is Hebrews 4:9

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010) So then, it remains for the people of God to keep the Sabbath.

This video on Egyptian archaeology shows inside the Pharaoh's burial temple of paintings depicting the priest of Horus throwing their staffs and them turning into snakes, this is the same Pharaoh that was said to be killed at the Red Sea and would have been about 80 years old when he died. Testing of the remains in his tomb reveal a person who was a good 30 years or more younger than the Pharaoh would have been. They replaced the body to cover for the fact he (the supposed reincarnation of Osiris) died by the Hebrew God. Vid covers many other aspects of the Hebrew exodus as well.

Sorry, OP assertions are in no way connected to the observed evidence that clearly supports the Biblical view exclusively as it is written in Genesis and Exodus to be literally true
edit on 15-2-2013 by JesuitGarlic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WarriorOfLight96

Hence the Name Sunday, boy that Satan has so many tricks to blind a mans eye and cause man to disobey God even though they don't know it.

The [Catholic] Church took the pagan philosophy and made it the buckler of faith against the heathen. She took the pagan Roman Pantheon, temple of all the gods, and made it sacred to all the martyrs; so it stands to this day. She took the pagan Sunday and made it the Christian Sunday. She took the pagan Easter and made it the feast we celebrate during this season . . . The Sun was a foremost god with heathendom . . . The sun has worshipers at this hour in Persia and other lands . . . Hence the Church would seem to say, 'Keep that old pagan name [Sunday]. It shall remain consecrated, sanctified.' And thus the pagan Sunday, dedicated to Balder, became the Christian Sunday, sacred to Jesus"
--William L. Gildea, "Paschale Gaudium," in The Catholic World, 58, March, 1894, p. 809 [A Roman Catholic weekly].

and thus the beast's mark in commemoration of Satan over the Creator's Sabbath is to be Sunday worship worldwide commandment from the false Christ when he comes impersonating Jesus' return

Sunday is our mark of authority...the church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.” — Catholic Record of London, Ontario, September 1, 1923.

It was the Catholic church which...has transferred this rest to Sunday in remembrance of the resurrection of our Lord. Therefore the observance of Sunday by the Protestants is an homage they pay, in spite of themselves, to the authority of the (Catholic) church.” — Monsignor Louis Segur, Plain Talk About the Protestantism of Today, p. 213

Thus keeping Sunday is saying your allegiance is to the Beast and not the Creator.

I like your connections WarriorOfLight

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

If they reappear over and over again in subsequent cultures to me that says they're ingrained in our consciousness and therefore come from God.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Why would it be hard to believe that the 10 commandments have been around since God created man?

It would make sense to me that these commandments were already in place at the time that angels were assisting rulers of nations, chose to make themselves gods over the people instead and hijacked the 10 commandments in the process leading them to become the fallen angels for leading everyone astray.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JesuitGarlic

I truly appreciate most of your posts, JesuitGarlic, but keeping the Sabbath wasn't even worthy of a mention in the verses below from Jesus. In fact, Jesus was accused of breaking the Sabbath himself, remember?

Matthew 19:16-19

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesuitGarlic

Genesis 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when he rested from all his work of creation.

Are you really quoting Genesis as 'fact'? Really? Genesis can't make up it's mind which version of the creation myth it wants to use and it basically says that the earth is 6,000 years old. It's ABSURD. And there was no garden of Eden or Adam and Eve. Those are CREATION MYTHS which were stolen from the Summerians and changed over to make look Jewish. Genesis ... fables and myths and DOCTRINE OF MEN.

Well unfortunately for you FF, trying to turn people away from trusting the worth of God's Word there is evidence of this.

Well unfortunately for you JesuitGarlic, the cult you are in is turning a bilnd eye to REALITY.

FACT - The 10 Commandments is a DOCTRINE OF MEN. It isn't even original work. Moses didn't get them straight from the hand of God like the uneducated peasants of his day thought. He got them from the Egyptian Book fo the Dead. You know .. the book dedicated to PAGAN GODS. He got them from that because he was a highly educated prince of Egypt.

FACT - Genesis is a confused mess and is a Summerian creation myth stolen by the Jews. Oh .. and God would have no need to rest on the Seventh day. That's attributing human frailty to God.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesuitGarlic
thus the beast's mark in commemoration of Satan over the Creator's Sabbath is to be Sunday worship worldwide commandment from the false Christ when he comes impersonating Jesus' return .... Thus keeping Sunday is saying your allegiance is to the Beast and not the Creator.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight .. so billions of Christians around the world who worship God and love Him .. and who get together to worship and love him on Sunday .... they are all doing the devils work. :shk: You should really step back and take a long look at what you are saying. It's beyond absurd.

And it goes back to the docrines of men ... which YOU are following.

The 10 Commandments ... the Genesis 'God rested on the 7th day' .... all made up by MEN. The hand of God did NOT come down from heaven and write those. History very clear.

posted on Feb, 16 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
Why would it be hard to believe that the 10 commandments have been around since God created man?

The point is ... the bible claims that they were written by God Himself on the mountain top. That simply isn't true. They had been around, in other forms, for at least 1200 years before Moses wrote the 10 Commandments. These laws, in whatever form, were known to people for a very long time. They were taught in the schools. Moses, from his vast learning in the best Egyptian schools, rewrote a set of laws for the Jews .... HE DID IT. It wasn't God on a mountain top. And therefore, these laws are from MEN. They are good laws to live by .. they help keep civilization in tact .. which is their purpose of course. And God may be happy with them .. or he may not be. But still, they came from a man and are therefore a doctrine of men.

2600 BC – Egyptian Book of the Dead is written.
2100 BC – The Code of Ur-Nammu (Summerian)
1770 BC – The Code of Hammurabi
1490 BC – 10 Commandments

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join