It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

S. Korea seeks U.N. resolution with military means against N. Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

S. Korea seeks U.N. resolution with military means against N. Korea

english.yonhapnews.co.kr

SEOUL, Feb. 15 (Yonhap) -- South Korea is trying to convince the U.N. Security Council to punish North Korea for conducting its third nuclear test with a new resolution that would include a clause for enforcement of sanctions by military means, a senior Seoul diplomat said Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter is definitely one step up in comparison to the other sanctions which are imposed on North Korea. I don't think the DPRK will be happy about that, especially since they are apparently preparing for another rocket launch -> Source

While it would be premature to reach that conclusion without more recent imagery, press reports have speculated that the DPRK is planning to conduct the first launch of the Musudan intermediate-range or the KN-08 long-range rocket, both mobile missiles. An additional possibility is another launch of an Unha rocket.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   

edit on 15-2-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: please delete

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zerschmetterling
I don't think the DPRK will be happy about that, especially since they are apparently preparing for another rocket launch ->

Who gives a toss about whether the “Democratic People’s” dictatorship is happy, or not. The regime is an international basket-case. It is time for this regime to be brought to an end and the Korean people incarcerated in North Korea by this nut-job regime to be released.

www.un.org...

Only problem is that China does not want to lose control and have a unified democratic Korea. This is why China tacitly supports and props up the North Koreans. The last thing China wants is a successful democratic nation on their borders undermining their own comfortable authoritarian “democracy”. North Korea is a result of Chinese foreign policy.

Regards

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
"Looks like the band is getting back together"

Would the South going to the UN just add more of a punch to the possible future conflict?

Plus we have other current NK storys:

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21468893

Adding more to the Souths argument against the North.
Plus RT News is running an online poll asking if North should have Nukes for defence.

Wonder what "Sanctions" will be passed this time?

eee.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Sanctions clearly isn't working against N. Korea so there is not many options left for the UN. I do think this could escalate into another Korean war if the situation doesn't improve.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
The US and Korea and China and Russia should just send in a volley of cruise missiles. thousands of them at once, all aimed at precise locations.

I bet you could knock out 75% of the entire structure of command, missile command, tank command etc.. the rest would just wilt..

.. getting rid of him is easy, its what we do next that's the tricky part!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerschmetterling

The mindset of North Korea, the way they perceive things, they might as well be aliens from the Andromeda Galaxy. In their minds they will perform certain actions that go against intrnational norms in an effort to gain resources (food / water / fuel). They will engage in a behavior the international community finds offensive, and then they will deal on reducing / stopping future tests in exchange for food / water / fuel / etc.

What makes matters worse is their new leader. Since he is in his late 20's and since their culture is based on perception of their leader being invincible, you coouple that mindset with the mentality of a person with something to prove and we have a disaster in the making.

What makes matters worse is how N. Korea seems to be ignoring China now.. Whether that is by design remains to be seen.

I think it is only a matter of time before the North Korean leader places himself into a position of armed conflict with no means of avoiding it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zerschmetterling
North Korea tells China of preparations for fresh nuclear test (Reuters)

I am curious at what point China is going to smack them down.

If China fails to reign in N. Korea it begs 2 questions -

Has China lost influence with N. Korea?
Is China secretly backing N. Korean actions?

I can see pros and cons to both.. With China and other S. Asian countries doing their best sharks and jets routine with regards to resources, one wonders if this is not a way to occupy the US while China takes more agressive moves towards those resousrces.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

I agree with you. Who cares what these North Korean leaders think. I used to feel sorry for them until I heard that when the U.S. gave them grain for humanitary aid, the leaders told their people that it was tribute and they were forcing us to give them food.

I think China doesn't want the U.S. on their border from what I have been reading, so they are helping the North Korean leadership to stay in power. It's too bad because this would be a real chance for China to stand up and show it can be a positive influence in the world. I would love to see a democratic united Korea and the U.S. out of there.

The people there keep saying that their new leader is highly intelligent but I'm not seeing it. If he would ease up and join the rest of the International community, he could turn the country around in a short time. Those people have been without everything for soo long. When the last crazy guy was in charge, at least he wrote romance novels for his people. The son doesn't even do that. The really sad thing is that he knows how people live in Europe from attending college there, but he doesn't want his people to have any of these things. What is wrong with his family?

Somebody please tell me because I just don't understand.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

NK is China's lap dog. China is behind these moves. It is a distraction for all the military hardware they are moving to the coast right opposite Taiwan. They will have NK Nuke Soul, they will take Taiwan and the other Islands they want at the same time. This move by China is happening right now. Iran and its terrorist will also strike here in the U.S. in several places while them and the Gog-Magog coalition make a move on Israel.

stratrisks.com...

stratrisks.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Chapter 7 will never happen. S. Koreans can dream all they want, just as the free syrians dreamt. The world can scream and shout all they want, but China and Russia will never allow it, for ANY country.

UN Chapter 7 will only happen when Russia and China are the target countries, at the same time.

Which is good, as their continued belligerances will only anger the world's nations over time, and one day, that dam of anger will break with a united world in rage for action against them, and Putin along with his comrade CCP govt can kiss their own asses goodbye on their thrones.

Only Newtonian physics at work. Politics too, will not escape laws of science and maths. Sit back, relax. It's now only a matter of time.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

An interesting game plan with one major issue. China does not have the air / naval ability to project force needed to secure Tiawan before other nations get involved to defend Tiawan.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rjbaggins

Everyone is always expecting North Korea to play by the rules of the international community, but really, why should they? NK was created as a result of the warmongering US. The US is the self-appointed head of the international community. A community that is ruled through fear and deception, that spreads very real terror around the globe.

While I am no expert on the situation, and have never been to North Korea to see things for myself, I take the media's portrayal with a pinch of salt. Sure, there likely are humanitarian crises there. I am not surprised for a nation that has all those sanctions against it. And as for the leaders, how often are people smeared, when they oppose the status quo? Its a common tactic of TPTB to destroy the image of those who oppose them.

This is not to say there is no truth in what we are told about them, after all, the best way to sell a lie is to mix it with the truth to give it credibility.

I am positive they do not need to become fully-fledged members of the international community, they could easily go their own way without resorting to a nuclear deterrant. They certainly should not be forced to. Just like you and I should not be forced into any political or religious affiliation. Maybe they want to, but feel they cannot because they are victims of bullying.

Kim Jong-un is following in his father's footsteps, who in turn was following in his father's footsteps. They only did what they were trained to. Why would they join forces with the same people that are keeping them in poverty, that divided their nation, that manipulate and betray for profit? I know if I inherited a kingdom, I would refuse to have anything to do with the US and its allies, they cannot be trusted.

NK feel the only way to deter them is to have a nuclear weapons program. Otherwise, they'd just come storming in and take what they could, kill off the resistance and install their own puppet government. It happens repeatedly around the world. Its how NK came to be in the first place. They have very real reason to be paranoid of the US.

The NK government could handle things a lot better though. I sympathise with their predicament, but the way they mistreat their people is unforgivable. Just like most other nations, their elite are vastly richer than their people. Spending all the money on war machines, even if it is for survival, while their people starve, is wrong. I understand they are in self preservation mode, but a real good leader will make sacrifices for their people, not sacrifice their people.

It is a dilemma, and ultimately, there is no good side in any of this. Just like every nation, Its the people who suffer, and the governments who benefit. You could say with that in mind, they are behaving in accordance with the international way.
edit on 17-2-2013 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

this could be taking in one of 2 ways first a warning to china second permission from china. China could be just sitting back waiting for DPRK to make its first move, make war with the south giving china the opportunity move on japan and Taiwan, and even the US, for we will not, nor could we sit this one out.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

this could be taking in one of 2 ways first a warning to china second permission from china. China could be just sitting back waiting for DPRK to make its first move, make war with the south giving china the opportunity move on japan and Taiwan, and even the US, for we will not, nor could we sit this one out.

We wouldnt sit it out, however the number of nations that would be involved would be more than just the ones listed. Secondly Russia would be a wild card on this one since they also have conflicting claims in the Pacific region. While Putin has been stripping away the rights of the citizens of Russia, I doubt they would support China in a war. To much bad blood there...

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

yes i would agree on this as you put it

While Putin has been stripping away the rights of the citizens of Russia, I doubt they would support China in a war. To much bad blood there...
i do believe if this does turn out to be WW3 Russia would be on our side. or at least sit it out.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
And guess who the UN will call upon for this......
That is right.....US.

So all the American Haters can start commence fire anytime.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
N. Korea threatens South with 'final destruction'

North Korea threatens "final destruction" of South Korea (Reuters)

North Korea threatened South Korea with "final destruction" during a debate at the U.N Conference on Disarmament on Tuesday, saying it could take "second and third steps" after a nuclear test last week.

edit on 19-2-2013 by Zerschmetterling because: (no reason given)

top topics

join