It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

When have other meteor sightings had some type of vapor-ish trail of that size if any?

www.google.com...:en-US
fficial&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&e i=DsgdUZ_BLKiM2gXW3IDoAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=894

All the time mate.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Two points. First the blinding light, followed by very loud, crackling explosions suggest that this was an airburst explosion. Note that the object dissintegrates into smaller parts following the explosion.

Secondly, in the 'bad-music' camera version, where the car makes a right-hand turn, am I right to think that the object turns as well. It seems to approach at a 10.30 position and then leaves at the 3 oclock position... or is there a fish-lens effect at play there?

A brilliant event to see anyway.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Can't tell if sarcasm.....

I was going to suggest a telescope, but don't know if I was just shamed......

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Be nice to have the direction that it traveled.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

I'll take you up on that bet.

I'll wager my savings, checking and 401k.

What you got?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Man that blast sound from the vid is freaking loud..

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by usaman1983

In that same link

It is believed that the incident may be connected to asteroid 2012 DA14, which measures 45 to 95 meters in diameter and will be passing by Earth tonight at around 19:25 GMT at the record close range of 27,000 kilometers.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by usaman1983
rt.com...

The link keeps updating with new info, but I saw this..

"Police in the Chelyabinsk region are reportedly on high alert, and have enacted the ‘Fortress’ plan in order to protect vital infrastructure."

What's the Fortress plan?

Not sure what a Fortress plan is-speculating here but may it's some type of emergency plan for major disasters? You would have to think they probably don't know how to react properly-obviously meteor impacts are extremely rare but just for safety they'd tell everyone to go home for the time being.

Going on the video evidence I'm seeing it's a meteorite, I don't see any evidence against it.

+20 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
****** REMOVED *********
edit on 14-2-2013 by JoyfullMustard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I would be totally freaking out if that took place here in California. Does anybody know if there were any casualties yet?

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Quibbler

Yeah, it almost matches directly with the other image of it " entering. " Same, illuminated dot, flaring up as it continues on it's journey in. This is pretty awesome, I'm surprised to see so many Russian videos from the dashboard though. Does everyone drive around with a cam mounted on the dash there?

Effing Brilliant, certainly startling but from those vids with the audible boom, it sounds and looks like it broke up high enough up no impact occurred. At least, I haven't read of an " Impact " site yet.

Definitely looks like something that came from out of the atmosphere, so I'm a little unsure as far as the crashing jet, or failed military tech(unless it was a satellite, but I'd expect different colors.)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Some of the best video I have seen. And the one with the explosion in it that sets off the car alarms was awesome.

I am going to assume just meteorites, although I like how RT labeled it UFO.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:42 PM
link   

“According to preliminary data, the flashes seen over the Urals were caused by [a] meteorite shower," the Emergency Ministry told Itar-Tass news agency.

rt.com...

I don't see anything on Itar-Tass.
www.itar-tass.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mnemicrsl

I'm 99.99% positive this event didn't cause any casualties. From the sounds of things it was terrifying but minor as far as meteorites go. Loud Airburst, some broken windows, car alarms going off. Any injuries would likely be related to starling(falling off ladders, down stairs, heart attacks.)

Do some google searching, I'm just starting to scour now for more info.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JoyfullMustard

Anything that comes through the atmosphere at that speed will have a trail.

A paper plate will have a trail albeit a very brief one. Well, maybe not 'a' paper plate. Might need a stack of em!

Even a chunk of ice entering the atmosphere will leave a trail.

A comet usually has two tails, one is ionized plasma. The other is debris and ejecta.

But if it comes down through the air, it leave a trail.

And make big noises, set off car alarms, eliminate species, maybe even whole phyla, etc.
edit on 14-2-2013 by ErEhWoN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

You left out the broken windows and flying glass.

link   
reply to post by Hijinx

I was thinking the same thing about people driving around filming. I am surprised at how fast multiple videos have surfaced.

link   

edit on 14-2-2013 by Geraputo because: can a mod remove? double clicked post accidently.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
AP News just now reported the incident..
It says several people were injured at a school as well...

hosted.ap.org...

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join