It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blessed Belated Imbolc, Everybody!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
My gosh, I can't believe I didn't make this thread before Imbolc. Anyway, I've been trying to keep a running series of threads on the Wheel of the Year sabbats (see signature). In any case, Imbolc came and went, it was fun but I totally forgot to post on it.

The lessons learned and the theme to meditate on for Imbolc isn't just something for one day so the wisdom gained from this sabbat can still be implemented during this time of year. Imbolc is one of the four "major" sabbats. Basically, it marks the half-way point through the winter. In order to help the god through to Beltane, people in Britain and western Europe lit huge bonfires to aid him on his journey. It is also to celebrate the goats producing milk and this is also an analog of the Goddess in her Mother aspect.

To any of you cowans out there, look to Imbolc as a celebration of seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. If it were a car trip, this is the time you see the "Welcome to" signs and start cleaning up all your snack wrappers and putting your shoes back on. In your daily life, it is a time to rid yourself of the old things that no longer benefit your life in order to make room things you'd like to bring in. For example, it would be a great time to quit eating a certain junk food and to replace it with carrots or something.

So, there you have the basic not-too-witchy theme for Imbolc. In the spirit of Mitt Romney, I retroactively wish you all a very blessed Imbolc!

Here is Brighid who some Catholics out there might recognize as St. Bridget. The straw sun wheel above her is a customary craft to make for Imbolc as are corn dollies for some traditions. Both the goddess version and the saint version of her have beautiful legends as to why the star is used.

And below is an Imbolc procession in Marsden. These guys are more in the druid vein but definitely fun to watch:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Nice thread. I am no longer an imbecile concerning Imbolc.

I rather enjoyed the analogy of preparing for arrival on a car trip. That's great advice for this time of year. I'm sure the spirits forgive you for typing this up this post facto.

join