It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Hacked, 250,000 User Accounts Potentially Compromised

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

I would have to disagree to some extent. I am a fan of the speed at which news can be delivered via Twitter feeds. Though I don't conventionally access these "Tweets" via the Twitter site, one of my go to websites, actually how I was made privy to this story I found here:

BreakingNews.com, among a plethora of other websites, Twitter feeds offer a good portion of the information that comes through. Often before it hits any of the MSM wires.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ive only used twitter 4 times ever and that was to complain about a bad service from a company. Its pretty useful in that respect.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
i think ats' format is much better for socialization than twitter and facebook, primarily because it's moderated rather well. and will not allow some of the shenanigans you see on other social media sites.
edit on 1-2-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
By TPTB bildenburg, trilateral commission, political leaders no less IMO! Being constantly poked with a stick by them, they want some reaction, especially demands for more control, and no privacy probably.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by kamebard

Lol what?

Twitter.com makes heavy use of JavaScript

If you cannot enable it in your browser's preferences, you may have a better experience on our mobile site.

That is what you get while visiting twitter with noscript on.
Don't confuse java and _javascript, which isn't hard to do since the names sound so similar.

Many sites make it difficult or impossible to surf without _javascript, which can pose some security risks, but not as great as those posed by java.

Java is more powerful and I don't even install it unless I have to...most sites don't need java, but it's required for certain specific applications....some online brokers require it for their applications, if you trade stocks online.

But if you don't need java, don't even install it.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

So, you are saying _javascript, is not a part of java at all? My mistake if that is the case, I assumed it was a script used to run java. I am only familiar with html, css and a bit of ruby myself.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

So, you are saying _javascript, is not a part of java at all? My mistake if that is the case, I assumed it was a script used to run java. I am only familiar with html, css and a bit of ruby myself.
That's what I'm saying. The confusion is understandable given the similarity in names. This explains further:

The Differences between Java and JavaScript

Java and JavaScript are both object-oriented languages. Aside from this fact and their similar names, few parallels exist between Java and JavaScript....

Sun Microsystems originally created Java as an object-oriented programming language. Java can create programs that work across multiple platforms. Netscape developed JavaScript as an object-oriented scripting language that's used within a web browser. JavaScript was designed to rely on other structures, such as a web browser. Java programmers create applets, or small programs that can run anywhere, while JavaScript programmers write functions that can only run on the internet.
Java can run outside the browser, and _javascript can't.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
No twitter.. No facebook.... no google plus.... I'm covered.

...and.... no 'cloud'

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Thanks for clearing that up lol. Yeah, I need sun java to run Jdownloader I am pretty sure. On the linux side, I don't have java installed at all, never needed it for anything so far.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You're welcome.

Yes Jdownloader is written in Java. There are alternatives that don't require java, and its associated security risks. Given the recent warnings about Java, it may not be unreasonable to consider evaluating alternatives to see if they might meet your needs.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to assume this was done by the US military. IIRC, twitter just recently claimed that the government was asking for twitter account info.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Mine got hit..repeatedly I think because I got notices all night long.

I think it was rubygems.
edit on 2-2-2013 by hadriana because: long not ling

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if the hackings were Java related. I remember a while back an update came up for Java. I clicked accept, and within seconds I was notified by Windows Home Defender that there was an attack on my computer that was trying to access my information. Needless to say I got rid of it very quickly.

ETA: Twitter isn't as bad a place as most of you are saying it is. As an avid Twitter user, I can vouch. Twitter is much more than people saying "look at my cat" or "I just ate shrimp for lunch!". It's a great way for celebrities to get in touch with their fans, for fans to know what their idols are up to, and for me personally, it's an escape from reality. It's a way for me to vent my frustrations to unknown people and to get their advice. It's a way for me to complain about family issues without my family snooping into my life. It gives me and others the opportunity to meet others from around the world, to make new friends, talk among others with the same interests, and a way for us to keep up with the day to day lives of bands we love, celebrities we adore, and people who make funny statements. Its a way to socialize without the hassles of adding people and dealing with drama like Facebook. I would highly recommend those of you who have no experience to try Twitter for two weeks. Make an account, follow people who interest you, and give it a try. I bet most of you would love it if you gave it the chance. Because of Twitter, I've been able to talk to over 20 celebrities I find incredible. I've been able to chat to famous people like Chad Lindberg (Most notably from Supernatural as Ash), many UFC fighters, Zak Bagans and Aaron Goodwin from Ghost Adventures, among many others.

It's also a great way to keep up with latest UFC fights without paying $70 for the pay-per-view!

edit on 3/2/2013 by Dondylion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
OH NOs!!! Now they will know that my montana.ats twitter account only follows...... (GASP!) ATS!!!!!

I am ruined-ed!!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Cheers for the heads-up OP. Twitter is a global freedom-of-speech engine, people often post whatever and whenever they like often leading them into trouble.

During the UK riots last year a ton of people were arrested after co-ordinating attacks via social media including twitter.

I'm a watcher of tweets but rarely a poster.

edit - it does seem that the cyberwar has etched up a notch if they are now going after the high profile targets though...
edit on 3-2-2013 by digitalf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kamebard

perhaps someone inside uses Java?
I know every PC in my network at the office has Java.
Perhaps Java is a means to get inside, once inside you can compromise what you like!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 11235813213455

You have an ATS account.
You have an email account.
You have a phone too?
What about a bank account?
Do you receive mail in your letter box?

It's just part of life now, to be vulnerable.
Email and such is an important part of life (my life anyway) I cant see the point closing my gmail account only to have to open another email account.

As for facebook?.. well yeah its a security risk. If by security risk you mean people getting your photos!.. I'm pretty sure my mug shot and drivers license still sit in police records, as well as my Australian defense records.

I'm not saying there isn't a risk or it isn't wise to be safe, but if they really wanted to get to know you, know where are you are and what you like.. no closing accounts will stop that!

credit cards are as equally at risk at your local shopping center, than they are online!

In saying that, I dont understand those idiots who use mobile phone banking.. can you be any more stupid?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join