It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Last Resort' canceled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

'Last Resort' canceled

No surprise here. I called this after watching the first episode.

It's not much of a conspiracy but here's my theory. This is now the third show which never made it beyond its second year, much to the fact that I believe the U.S. government wasn't reflected in a positive light, or in which Politics played a significant role.

Rewind...2006...Show: Commander-in-Chief, starring Geena Davis as the United States' first female POTUS. It competed fairly well against House, was ultimately unseated by American Idol and first surpassed by Criminal Minds. Not bad. I also felt a second season would never be seen by American audiences. I think a lot of white-haired ole' men in Washington didn't care for the audience's reception of such subject matter. Also, it might have been a testing ground for Mrs. Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign. Fast Forward...2012...Show: Political Animals, starring Sigourney Weaver, a former First Lady (having suffered infidelity from the POTUS), now divorced, current Secretary of State, eventually makes a run for POTUS. Another strong lead lady POTUS scarring a lot of white-haired old men. I definitely knew we would never see a second season.

Regardless of both of these shows cancellations, I believe both of these shows casted some excellent and strong actors/actresses. The writing was decent and the plots interesting.

And finally, Last Resort, in which we see an unfavorable American government/military launch a nuclear strike clandestinely against Pakistan. There is a coup-de-tat, blah blah blah. As unfavorable as the American government is portrayed in this show, it came as no surprise to learn of its cancellation.

The point of my conspiracy theory here just demonstrates how tightly controlled the MSM is by certain aspects of our government. Given all the bull the country is undergoing with 2nd Amendment issues, I believe the government would be afraid of a show running and gaining support, like Last Resort.

Last Resort Cancelled

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It got cancelled because it sucked. It had the opportunity to be a fun show but quickly turned into a Soap Opera with a Submarine in it. TV sucks anyway, but then again we all knew that!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus
It got cancelled because it sucked. It had the opportunity to be a fun show but quickly turned into a Soap Opera with a Submarine in it. TV sucks anyway, but then again we all knew that!

Which is why we spend all our time on ATS, although ATS is really heading the way of other websites and shows as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It got cancelled because it got put into a bad time slot at 8pm.

Last Resort had to compete with The Big Bang Theory which I believe has around 20 million viewers. If it weren't for that, i'd say it would have had a great chance of being renewed for another season. Me and the large group of people who do like Last Resort are just hoping, however unlikely, that another network picks it up.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Or the more likely scenario of the show didnt have the ratings to warrant a renewal.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I loved that show, they were ignorant to cancel it. I to think our government said no to another season so they politely shot the guilty president in the end.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It pretty much painted itself in a corner plot-wise.

Hard to see a 2nd or 3rd season with the crew in mutiny on the island and the Captain threatening to fire a nuclear missile every other episode.

I had high hopes for it, as Shawn Ryan is a good writer and producer. But after about the 3rd episode i knew it wouldn't last.

And lousy ratings = cacellation. Would be nice if a cable network picked it up, like TNT, USA or something.
edit on 1-2-2013 by bg_socalif because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

'Last Resort' canceled

No surprise here. I called this after watching the first episode.

It's not much of a conspiracy but here's my theory. This is now the third show which never made it beyond its second year, much to the fact that I believe the U.S. government wasn't reflected in a positive light, or in which Politics played a significant role.

Rewind...2006...Show: Commander-in-Chief, starring Geena Davis as the United States' first female POTUS. It competed fairly well against House, was ultimately unseated by American Idol and first surpassed by Criminal Minds. Not bad. I also felt a second season would never be seen by American audiences. I think a lot of white-haired ole' men in Washington didn't care for the audience's reception of such subject matter. Also, it might have been a testing ground for Mrs. Clinton's 2008 presidential campaign. Fast Forward...2012...Show: Political Animals, starring Sigourney Weaver, a former First Lady (having suffered infidelity from the POTUS), now divorced, current Secretary of State, eventually makes a run for POTUS. Another strong lead lady POTUS scarring a lot of white-haired old men. I definitely knew we would never see a second season.

Regardless of both of these shows cancellations, I believe both of these shows casted some excellent and strong actors/actresses. The writing was decent and the plots interesting.

And finally, Last Resort, in which we see an unfavorable American government/military launch a nuclear strike clandestinely against Pakistan. There is a coup-de-tat, blah blah blah. As unfavorable as the American government is portrayed in this show, it came as no surprise to learn of its cancellation.

The point of my conspiracy theory here just demonstrates how tightly controlled the MSM is by certain aspects of our government. Given all the bull the country is undergoing with 2nd Amendment issues, I believe the government would be afraid of a show running and gaining support, like Last Resort.

Last Resort Cancelled

I liked all these shows also and was awaiting the second seasons. I agree that they were removed because they made people nervous. I remember years ago when I trusted the news, now they don't even do investigative reporting. What happened to journalists and other members of the media that used to have a conscience, used to show both sides of an issue, called the government on their #? I watch RT and Al-Jazeera to get world news.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mamatus

I was going to download season 1 because I liked the premise of the show but then I read more viewers reviews that pretty much echoed what you said and decided to pass.
Im pretty much disgusted by whats on TV now days, all of my favorite channels have opted for reality based BS because theyre cheaper to make and for some reason, people like it.
Sci Fi (SyFy) went to hell a few years ago, history channel and natgeo followed soon after.
Face Off, Pawn Stars, Diggers, American Pickers, Ghost Hunters, Ghost Mine, Ax men, Ice Road Truckers..

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

What do you mean SyFy sucks? I spend nights awake in utter anticipation of the next big hit. I heard they are working a new title "Ice Road Trucking Swamp Ghost Yeti Hunter next......... The special effects alone should be amazing. It will probably be overshadowed by the complex plot though.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If they're cancelling these chows because ol' white haired men dun like the purty wimmins in manly roles, dear lord why on earth did they cancel stargate atlantis.

Who's up there, pointing their elongated gnarly nailed blue finger and saying in a whispy voice "Obama... It is too close to reality. I shall devour your soul."

Is it steve?

I liked steve.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnholyBones
It got cancelled because it got put into a bad time slot at 8pm.

Last Resort had to compete with The Big Bang Theory which I believe has around 20 million viewers. If it weren't for that, i'd say it would have had a great chance of being renewed for another season. Me and the large group of people who do like Last Resort are just hoping, however unlikely, that another network picks it up.

This. Anything that gets put up against The Big Bang Theory gets slaughtered, regardless of quality. It's frustrating.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I see where your coming from but in relation to "Last Resort" specifically. I disagree, That show just kinda sucked and I suspect had bad ratings. Probably no intervention involved in this case.

Although speaking about intervention into programming on TV. WTF happened to "Stargate Universe"? That was an awesome show that just disappeared. Staple scifi that inspired people to thing beyond. Also as many are aware the Stargate series had links to the Navy...... heavy links at certain levels. Much like how the original "Doctor Who" had close ties to the UK Government's Majestic 12.

Stargate ending pissed me off. I don't buy bad ratings killed that show. If it did it was marketed utterly poorly. Its been Canceled for a long time and if revived will still go strong today. That's intervention in the MSM.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bintim
I agree that they were removed because they made people nervous. I remember years ago when I trusted the news, now they don't even do investigative reporting. What happened to journalists and other members of the media that used to have a conscience, used to show both sides of an issue, called the government on their #? I watch RT and Al-Jazeera to get world news.

No.

Last Resort was removed because it didnt have the numbers to continue. After its premier debut of roughly 9 million it averaged 5 million over the last 6 episode. Over the last 9 episodes it never broke a 1.4 in the 18-49 demographic which is the most important. To give you a comparison another Shawn Ryan show which i loved and also dealt with the military was The Unit..over the course of its first season it averaged 15.5 million users while staying close to or above 2.0 in the key demographic. The series premiere of The Unit hit roughly 18 million users which is double what LR had.

While some people liked Last Resort it was not good enough to warrant a second season and thats pretty much it..Nothing nefarious, no conspiracy. The numbers are there to see why it ended.

new topics

top topics

join