It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

want to make a few extra bucks USA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
hi, some of you may find this a bit disturbing, but i dont care,,

first i want to say that i love reptiles and all flora and fauna in general, i even dont eat meat myself,

i know that alligator is a popular dish in some parts of america, and that they discard the heads as trash, did you know that an small to medium sized alligator skull sells about 50-110 dollars and xl skulls are about 200, in the US?
now here is the deal, many people are interested in buying these skulls for all sorts of reasons. and there are only a handfull on the market in europe?
this is becouse its a hassle to get the permits you need for them, to prove that they are legally obtained
you need at least CITES permit and some others, it will cost you about a hundred dollars.
my point, the market for the skulls is BIG in europe, and the big ones (23 inch) can sell up to 800 bucks? and if you ship more skulls at one go, you can include multiple skulls under one permit,

just something to think about,
cheers,

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
But how can you expect to catch something as dangerous as an alligator?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by shivaX

dumpster diving can indeed be a dangerous sport,

you would need to get the heads for free at restaurants, get a bucket, fill it with water, add a bit of yiest and sugar, and wola!
a month later you have an item that after a good wash, can earn you a bit of extra cash, or alot.
it would be a terrible idea to harm a living alligator, i am just saying this becouse its a shame that the heads are getting binned, they are worth lots of money, and you would actually be working against poaching becouse you would provide for the market,
edit on 1-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Ick, I hate watching people kill gators and rattlesnakes for their skins and body parts. How is this any different than poaching of more exotic species? Disgusting is what it is. I don't care if they're "ugly" or dangerous, they're living creatures too and don't deserve to be poached just for luxury handbags.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

As unappealing as this sounds, I get your meaning. If they are using the gators for food anyway and throwing out the heads, somebody might as well get some use out of them.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

oh, c`mon!! alligators are amazing animals and it is disgusting that they make handbags from them, i am just saying that resataurants trash the heads, they are cool and people are willing to pay for them, no harm done if someone takes this "trash" and makes an valuable product, it does not encourage the killing and eating of them, dont you agree?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by shivaX
But how can you expect to catch something as dangerous as an alligator?
Alligators are easy to kill. 12 ga slug to the head will do it.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

no, dont go shooting gators becouse people allredy hunt them for restaurants, besides a slug would destroy the skull..

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by solve

no, dont go shooting gators becouse people allredy hunt them for restaurants, besides a slug would destroy the skull..
True, but that isn't what I was answering.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

sorry, wasnt saying you would do it,, just had to say in general dont go shooting them, and that the skull would get busted..

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
www.boneclones.com...
Just resell these and mark them up

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandyBragg
www.boneclones.com...
Just resell these and mark them up

it would be a good thing that these clones would do, but peple like the real deal in their "cigar rooms"
beides anyone can order them online, my point was that if anyone has access to the real heads and would spend the cash for the permits, they could sell them, in ebay for example worldwide, i have looked it up, i found a couple us sellers that wouldnt ship them outside the us,,, my only option was order from thailand,, big no no, that wouldnt be cool,, its a narly business out there..
edit on 2-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join