It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philly FBI cracking down of official corruption. Gov Corbitt's son-in-law caught up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I usually don't have many good things to say for the Feds but, when they take corrupt public officials off the streets, you gotta give it up to them; Good job guys, way to go!

First, they've brought charges against 9 traffic court judges caught up in ticket fixing schemes. They say they haven't taken any money to fix tickets but, only those with good political connections have been able to have their tickets fixed. One judge even had a drop-off point set up at a local bar for people who needed their tickets fixed.

Traffic Court Judges Charged in Widespread Ticket Fixing Scheme

Hernetha McMillian was at Traffic Court early Thursday morning to make her bi-weekly payment on a traffic ticket just like thousands of other drivers.

"It's ridiculous. Every time I come here you gotta' go on a payment plan or they take your car," McMillan said.

But while Mcmillian was paying her ticket, traffic court judges were making their way to FBI headquarters early Thursday to surrender and face charges that they were part of a widespread ticket fixing scheme that became rampant at Philadelphia Traffic Court. All designed to help the politically connected, not drivers like McMillan.

"The government doesn't say my client, Judge Singletary, took one thin dime in exchange for what they call a ticket fixing," said defense attorney William Brennan, who represents Judge Willie Singeltary.

A 77-count indictment and three criminal informants charge the nine elected judges and three others, including towing mogul Henry "Eddie" Alfano, with taking part in a widespread culture of giving breaks to politically connected families and their friends.

My Fox Philly

Now, if only they'd crack down on all the cops fixing tickets for their friends and family to show the world that the laws apply to everyone equally but, I doubt that would ever realistically happen; there wouldn't be any cops left on the streets if they did that.

In other news, the FBI set up a sting which caught Govonor Corbitt's cop son-in-law stealing money from a vehicle he had been assigned to search. When I found out he was on the city's drug task force, I wasn't very suprised at the news.

Corbett son-in-law, a narcotics officer, under FBI probe

The Philadelphia Police Department confirmed that a narcotics officer was taken off the street and placed on administrative leave Thursday, following the results of an FBI and Internal Affairs investigation. The department said it would not identify the officer because he had not been arrested or formally charged.

Sources identified him as Gerold Gibson, husband of Corbett's daughter Katherine. Gibson could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Federal agents and police Internal Affairs investigators placed $400 in marked money in a car for Gibson to investigate. The bills were sprayed with a powder used by police in controlled drug busts, and the car was equipped with surveillance cameras.

Gibson was told that police had a warrant to search the car and was asked to bring it back to the Narcotics Field Unit for a search. When investigators checked the car after he did so, about $145 was missing.

Investigators recovered the money after searching Gibson and his personal car. He also had the powder on his hands.

Philly.com

Talk about getting caught red handed! At least he didn't get too greedy and steal the whole thing but, who can really be surprised that a drug agent wouldn't get sticky fingers dealing with all that drug money all the time.

I only wonder if this investigation may have been politically motivated since he is the son-in-law of the somewhat conservative Republican govornor of Pennsylvania. This had definitely got to be a black eye for Gov Corbitt. I wonder how many other drug task force guys were under investigation?

Still, you gotta give it to the Philly FBI for helping to clean up the official corruption on the streets of Philadelphia. Good job guys, keep up the good work.

ETA: If you ask me, this should be the FBI's sole mission; putting down official corruption. There's so much of it out there its disgusting. Politicians and cops think they are above the law. There needs to be a force out there that focuses solely on official corruption, especially political corruption (especially at the Federal level too). I think that may be the only way we ever clean up all the corruption rotting away this nation.

edit on 2/1/13 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The feds are raping the people of ALL their money, so they bust a cop that took $145. These guys take our money all day long, legally, and no one can say anything to them. I think the states should be investigating the feds.

Just want to verify im not ok with the cop taking money. But priorities are a little messed up when We The People cant have any say so with how federal government takes or taxes.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
while it could be seen as a good thing with them cracking down on corruption , i get the feeling this was only done because someone else wants that money. and despite the fact that the majority of cops and politicians think that the system will look out for their own , they are just disposable pawns in the game of greed.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This looks more like on an attack (any attack they could find) on those who perhaps playing ball. Stealing $145 is pretty mild compared to what other politicians and their families are into. Is this the only dirt they could get on this Gov and his family? Pretty desperate for all parties.

Seems Corbett is a supporter of the 2nd Amendment hmm www.ontheissues.org...

Does Tom Corbett support the 2nd Amendment?
A: Tom Corbett is a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment and is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, which endorsed him on his two previous statewide campaigns. He has tripled the number of concealed carry reciprocity agreements and has signed on with Attorneys General to challenge the handgun bans in Washington DC and Chicago.

Source: Campaign website, tomcorbettforgovernor.com, "FAQ" , Nov 2, 2010

also: Gov. Corbett's response to Newtown shootings is baffling

"On Tuesday, when asked about the possibility of Pennsylvania strengthening its gun control measures, Gov. Tom Corbett replied, “We are not going get into that right now. ... I am for enforcing the laws we already have in place.”

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett., The Patriot-News, file
This comment reflects a sentiment both sides of the gun control debate have agreed on in the days following the Sandy Hook tragedy: New gun regulations are not a cure-all for the disease of mass violence

Corbett says focus should be on mental illness, not gun control
December 20, 2012
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
www.post-gazette.com...
edit on 1-2-2013 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Good Post;but Philly is not alone in this matter. Corruption has taken our once proud nation by Storm!
South Texas(Hidalgo County) law Enforcement agencies(State,County &local) & politicians are continuously saturated with all kinds of corruption. Our lower levels of Govn't are mimicking,upper levels,with no accountabily. Not sure,when all
this grew out of control. Our infrastructure is falling apart as a result of all this corrupted officials !

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Well good on them! It's nice to see the officials get busted for a change. They need to know what it feels like to go through the legal system from the "accused" perspective. If any of them keep their jobs after this maybe it will give them a little more compassion for those who are standing on the other side of the bench from them in court.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by dianashay

I'm not sure if he's being targeted for his 2nd amendment stance, the Pa constitution states that "The right to bear arms cannot be questioned"; one of the really great things about living in this state. I think its more about the general push to destroy Republicans and conservatives.

The timing of this is also suspicious considering that newly installed Democratic state DA Kathleen Kane has appointed a special prosecutor to look into her new boss on her first day in office.

Gov. Tom Corbett faces special prosecutor over his Jerry Sandusky response
Kane will appoint special prosecutor to examine Jerry Sandusky response

Attorney General Kathleen Kane will appoint a special prosecutor to investigate how Gov. Tom Corbett handled the Penn State University child sex-abuse case.

"The office will conduct a timely investigation that leaves no stone unturned," Kane, a 46-year-old Democrat, said Friday in an emailed statement.

The findings will be made public, she said.

Corbett, a Republican, was attorney general in 2009 when he started a probe of Jerry Sandusky, a former assistant football coach. Corbett was elected governor in 2010; Sandusky was convicted last year of molesting eight boys.

The Morning Call

The witch hunt is on!

It also makes you wonder if his son-in-law wasn't set up based on his relationship with the governor. According to the article, the investigation against him went on for over 8 months but, they only recently got the goods on him through that "honey pot" sting, somewhat like when the NY police left wallets on the subway and arrested people who took the money from the "lost" wallets.

I wouldn't be surprised if its drug task force SOP to pocket a small percentage of drug moneys found. I'll bet they could have caught any drug task-force cop with that sting. That's not saying its right, I'm glad they're making an example of him, but, one has to wonder why HE was the one targeted in this way.

Police Chief Ramsey said the investigation was a result of complaints from within the department. Who's to say that those complainers weren't upset by his relationship with the governor or had an axe to grind against Republicans? Pretty likely I would say in a big city department.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
yes, you have to wonder if the Sandusky bees nest has anything to do with this.

Also going on a limb (and I have searched) to find connections elsewhere.

new topics

top topics

join