It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists create world’s first multiverse of universes in the lab

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This is pretty cool... the first multiverse created in a lab. It kind of makes you wonder... perhaps we are just a creation sitting on a table in a lab somewhere.

To be exact, the researchers created a metamaterial — like those used to fashion invisibility cloaks — that, when light passes through it, multiple universes are formed within it. These universes, called Minkowski spacetimes, are similar to our own, except they more neatly tie up Einstein’s theory of special relativity by including time as a fourth dimension.

Link to story

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Can someone explain the science in layman's terms concerning how this experiment shows time as a fourth dimension?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
And as a theory, as relavent time, our 10,000 years could only be a few months in this theorettical lab. I wonder if a nano ship could travel into this new multiverse someday?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
So,we have made the leap from a cloaking device,or material,to a simulation of a multiverse.
Nice find.

A little background on the light cone and space time.
Yeah,I know,headache time.

The Einstein-Minkowski Spacetime

The characteristic feature of Galileo's Spacetime was the set of horizontal slices representing "planes of simultaneity". On a given plane, all of its events are simultaneous.

This is the notion of Absolute Time, in which all observers agree on the elapsed-time between two given events. In the particular case of "zero elapsed-time", all observers agree that the events on a given horizontal plane are simultaneous.
Einstein's extension of the Principle of Relativity to all physical laws requires us to abandon Galileo's Spacetime---in particular, its universal "planes of simultaneity"---that is, the notion of Absolute Time. In its place, we have the Einstein-Minkowski Spacetime.

www.phy.syr.edu...

The set of events that are simultaneous to one observer are not simultaneous to another observer!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by teslahowitzer
And as a theory, as relavent time, our 10,000 years could only be a few months in this theorettical lab. I wonder if a nano ship could travel into this new multiverse someday?

considering its a simulation comprised of kerosene and cobalt, using magnetism to simulate gravity and light to simulate time, no.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Wow. I understand what they are saying but the possible implications and practical applications go way over my head.

This is one of those experiments where something goes horribly wrong in sci-fi novels. Very very cool though.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Cool,until this happens......

You have more than one crazy girlfriend and you can't escape,no matter what universe you go to!
edit on 31-1-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
A fascinating achievement.

Can we send congress there in an itty bitty nano ship?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

This was an excellent film based on that concept:

Another Earth

Really creepy ending.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonewulph

Thank you and Kdog, both movies look good.
The idea of similarities in a small scale to a
Larger one gives one the hope and someday
proof we can have such an event to wittness.
I'll have to give them a try, thx
edit on 1-2-2013 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Wow good find, my brain ejaculated a little.

So does this prove the multiverse theory? Our little universe is but one grain of sand on a endless beach....

btw just thought of this does our universe have a name?...besides The Universe.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I just hope someone informs the inhabitants of this universe we created, that although it was just a bit of science that led to there creation, there was most definitely some invisible bearded gentleman atop a cloud that really did all the hard work and that no matter what there science may indicate, he most certainly exists.

Dont want them getting any whacky ideas about where there universe may have come from right?

Kinda shines new light on the whole invisibility cloak though lol.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Wait a tic....

"like those used to fashion invisibility cloaks"

We have invisibility cloaks? Since when?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Yeah man, well they are working on it or have finished and are perfecting it.

It is a Meta material that does not absorb light or reflect is... it "bends" it.

DOD will not allow it to be shared. Obviously. But in theory that is what people think.

Earlier versions had cameras that projected on the reverse side on another type of material everything that they record. Like the mission impossible movie scene with the hallway in the Kremlin.

This is different though. No electronics supposedly.
EDIT:
This experiment did not actually make a universe ..this was a SIMULATION of one. Like a computer model but in the real world.....over a material with enough "spaces" cells what ever to provide a place to see how things react with " infinite" space or spaces under the forces we know of like gravity...(magnetism) as another poster pointed out...all simulated with similar representations of matter, light....ect

edit on 1-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   

WHAT!? i think i have seen pictures of this invisibilty cloack , but the way it works blows my ####!
this kinda can be related to quantum mechanics, and all that ,,--
I am getting, like all matrix in here,, WE LIVE IN A SIMULATION!
cheers,
tell me why babalon? mr policeman... predators are coming..

edit on 1-2-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Since a brilliant canadian made it reality lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

A wannabes's experiment, multiverse my arse, too far from that or your title is simply misleading

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I'm no expert but it sounds they created something that only imitated a multiverse.

Besides I'm pretty sure that the real multiverses can't be directly witnessed or measured.

Still it's a fascinating story.

posted on Feb, 2 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ImpactoR

Can you explain that.

I am a layman in this and would appreciate understanding why that's the case..

<<   2  3 >>

join