It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tortoise 'survives in locked store room for 30 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
What a find that must have been after all these years x.

Manuela disappeared from her home in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in 1982 and despite a lengthy search was never seen again.Her owners, the Almeida family, assumed she had run away after builders working on the house left the front door open.It was only after their father Leonel died earlier this month that the Almeida children began clearing out a second-floor room in the house that he had filled with broken electrical items and always kept locked.Leonel's son Leandro said he was astonished to find Manuela alive inside a box containing an old record player.He told Brazil's Globo G1 website said: "I put the box on the pavement for the rubbish men to collect, and a neighbour said, "you're not throwing out the tortoise as well are you?"
Full Story Certainly made me smile. You wouldn't' think it possible to survive that long. Someone was certainly looking after her thats for sure.. Have a nice day

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Now that is one special Tortoise.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
It probably found something to eat, with their low metabolism, i can imagine them living isolated for ages... don't forget, tortoise could live up to 200-300 yrs.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Now that tortoise will have to deal with pesty people again.
Peace and tranquility have gone south. Maybe things are not what they appear to be, maybe the guy knew the turtle was there and fed it all along. Maybe the kids were treating it badly and he decided to hide it from them.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yes true. There must have been something to chomp on in there lol. And i imagine plenty of sleep

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Unlikely to be true, and completely unverifiable.

Fun story but it should be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hard to imagine this is true but I know nothing about turtles and their abilities to survive. Pretty cool if it is indeed a true story.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Now that tortoise will have to deal with pesty people again.
Peace and tranquility have gone south. Maybe things are not what they appear to be, maybe the guy knew the turtle was there and fed it all along. Maybe the kids were treating it badly and he decided to hide it from them.

This would be my guess too.

Although I wouldn't dismiss this creature surviving on insects either. Stranger things have happened.
edit on 1/31/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
i paused with no mention of water source...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Wait a minute. It was in the newspaper. They always tell the truth don't they?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
what the hell did he eat for 30 years? electronics???? duh duh duhhhh.. Terma-tortoise!

new topics

top topics

join